+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Video on network in Technical; Any reason why you didn't use Windows Media Services? I was looking to create a media server using this, rather ...

Re: Video on network

Any reason why you didn't use Windows Media Services? I was looking to create a media server using this, rather than using just static files in folders.

Hummmm will have to go play me thinks

Well for those who are interested, I have had a quick play to compare direct linking to a file vs MMS.

Test file was a 250Mb WMV. 25min long, DVD riped @ 720x480

Test server connected via 100Mb link. Test suite of 20 PCs

Software used Windows Media Player

Both methods work fine. My only concern with this test was network usage / bandwith on the servers.

Via the direct linking to a shared folder method the file server network usage was between 20% - 30% for 20 PCs pulling the file down.

Via MMS method the file server network usage was between 60% - 70% for 20 PCs pulling the file down.

So I think I will be going the direct linking method.

The problem now is what file / encoder to use. At the moment I am thinking either WM9 encoded .wmv or DivX encoded .avi

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

To keep you all updated Channel 4 have said that there will be no licence / option for us to be able to digitise there films etc that are sold to schools, and they will not relax that at present as they make DVDs was there reasoning which is a digital media, and they could not see why using a media server makes things easier!!!

Thank Post

I find it strange that the MMS used up more bandwidth! :? Has anyone else got any other methods they use as this is something I too would like to look into one day.

I know, I thought that the whole idea was to help reduce bandwith.

Thank Post

You could try playing with VLC Media Player - it can be configured for multi or uni cast and its free, multi platform and can be used as a streaming server.

http://www.videolan.org/

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK
    Any reason why you didn't use Windows Media Services? I was looking to create a media server using this, rather than using just static files in folders.

Hummmm will have to go play me thinks
    The reason for not using WMS is because the Buffalo solution has a dedicated media player / DVD player that you can purchase for around £100 that goes with it and will stream from it, ideal for use in Libraries and seminar rooms where there is not a PC to use, also when you have one or two kicking around you might as well make use of them. Also its very very good on the bandwidth it puts round the network, I tested it again today with a few clients all streaming, as well as loading and uploading to it at the same time with no complaints over the speed of the LAN, so it does not cause any effect which was our aim.

Thank Post

Just have to remember most dvds are copyright and can't be shown :P

We have agreements for cds, photocopying and other stuff. As far as I can tell if teachers want to show a copyright dvd (a film in assembly for example) then most commercial stuff can't be shown. If its not copyright then no problem, if not I believe there is a licensing authority for films that you can wave money at. Please feel free to correct me as I can't spend all day searching for these things, but thats what the info I have found so far suggests.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    To keep you all updated Channel 4 have said that there will be no licence / option for us to be able to digitise there films etc that are sold to schools,
    Very strange; Had a visit from the ERA last summer, and I'm fairly sure they said that ANY terestrial broadcast under their licence could be digitised PROVIDED it could only be accessed from a licenced establishment. I'll see if I have that in writing in the morning.

Thank Post

Sorry, should have been more clear on the Channel 4 thing. Anything that is covered by ERA (IE anything you have recorded off channel 4) is fine, but for instance the Clip Banks they produce (I forgot the name of the IT program we use a lot, its got James McCourt presenting it with another lady, they visit The Eden project, look at Trainers, Ships and something else) but that type of program cannot be digitised onto your LAN.

Thank Post

Ok, converting going well, we have got 6 departments signed up, and going to do a full school staff presentation in 2 weeks for them to be able to have a good look and decide if they want to join us, and purchase a box if needed.

I have just been playing with Ulead Video Studio 9 to be able to add the required ERA screens at the start of the programs, it used to take 3hrs to re-encode a video in Win Movie Maker, now takes about 30 seconds in VideoStudio, so I recomend that for doing that job.

Been e-mailing video producers like mad, Channel 4 refused for there none broadcasted stuff, Boulton-Harker are not really sure / clear on it, but pointed me to an auzzie storage system that is a similar idea to what we are doing already, but its confusing, and Videotech have not come back to me yet, and we did put if we did not hear by the end of next week we would assume that permission was granted, so its looking good so far. The BBC have not come back to me yet, but we have a feeling it may be a no but who knows!

Here is another little puzzle for you, but is very realated to this. I have made a intranet site for listing the videos and linking to them. but, and its a big but, you have to authenticate as a user on the terrastore, but your normal domain account won't authenticate on it as its not AD aware
    (Buffalo have just launched an Active Directory aware version, and its also SATA based with more brains to it, and looks good, its a Terrastore PRO for those interested, but I have got this and they have not upgraded the standards firmware, so for now I am stuck without AD intergration).

Anyway, when I hot link to it, it just crashes or refuses to play the files as it cannot authenticate as the domain user thats logged on. Is there a way to write into my link the username and password needed to authenticate with the store? I am not worried if its visible as lots of people know the details as its a general laptop local username and password that we are using so its not as if I am worried about the security aspect of a clearly visible password, but I could do with being able to hot link to them as trying to educate people to do \\terastore\.... is not simple, as loads cannot manage to get the the image store by that method, any thoughts.

The intranet site is hosted on IIS6 with Frontpage 2002 extentions if that helps. I have tried with Media Services on Server 2003 and could not get that to authenticate and run via that as I thought I may be able to bodge something together with that, but no cigar as they say. Also it prefers local hard drives rather than networked drives.

So any ideas??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Not sure if this is of any use, but what about :

http://www.peej.co.uk/articles/http-...tml-forms.html

Thank Post

I will have a look and try a play with it later on, I am not a HTML expert

Thank Post

Ok, to update again...

I have been putting ERA stuff on, I got a reply back from BECTA, it took 3 weeks, but I got one, they are talking to the big names on a high level as they have seen that Schools around the country are wanting to bin DVD, VHS, Slides, CDs, Tapes, MDs etc and are in talks about the copyright, I got the feeling that there may be another licence like the ERA to buy per year in the end covering like 99% of things, like ERA does and the CLA, but maybe with some exclusions. They asked me to keep them informed of my progress with contacting makers of tapes and I agreed to so long as they kept me informed at all stages of there investigations so were not going round in circles as if I am helping them, I expect something back. No reponse as yet, but who knows.

I am presenting to HOD's next week the entire system, the staff that have been trialing it with us have been very impressed at the ease of use of both the wifi / wired players / DVD player boxes we have as well as the intranet based webpage.

For the authentication issue I posted, I did it in the end by putting a mapped drive in the logon script with authentication as part of the script. The username and password for the videos is no secret, all the staff know it as its the same as the local user and password on the laptops so its not as if its highly secure, and all it does is allow read / execute access, so they cannot do any damage to them, so its fine that its "visible" (the scripts are run minimised etc so its not that easy to spot), but that solved the authentication issue I had, as they are now authenticated, and can connect via an intranet page I have made.

Thank Post

Having just found this thread and being interested in providing one central point for all staff to access recordings (whether cd, dvd or tv). I was wondering how much further you have got with this.
    Having not delved into the whole broadcasting thing before i'm going to have to ask what is ERA (I'm presuming some sort of broadcasting licensing authority)?
    If so, then do LEA's sign up or is it up to each school?
    Is there some sort of online document or website where I can find out exactly what we are entitled to view/listen to/record/etc?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast