+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Securus and esafe education in Technical; Afternoon Guys, We currently have a Securus trial running here. What a load of rubbish. Group managment is a pain. ...

Thank Post

Securus and esafe education

Afternoon Guys,

We currently have a Securus trial running here. What a load of rubbish. Group managment is a pain. It constantly locks up and needs a hard reboot. Its reporting is sloooooooow. We still have violations coming that were captured over a month a go, sometimes more. It only seems to report a violation once the same child has violated and then logged in to the same machine at a later time. This means a child could be in real trouble and we would not get the report from securus until they log back in to the right machine.

We have been looking at alternatives and were given an on-line demo of something called eSafe Education (http://www.esafeeducation.co.uk). They are owned by Zentek, who support schools ICT and also do a lot of the computer forensic work for the police force.

Their product looks far more advanced than Securus. It already has the ability to auto email certain staff when a type of alert comes in. Different staff can be added for different types of violation. You can tell it to que alerts so it will only email a member of staff if say 10 alerts have been captured. This would be ideal for less important stuff as you don't want an email every time a child types "fuck" in to their computer (little darlings).
    It also already does image recognition, which Securus keeps telling us is on the cards.

You also have the option of buying a software only package, which is cheaper or they can supply a simple HP server with the product. It all comes in at about the same price as Securus.

it just seems to me to be a much more whole product than the one offered by Securus.

I was just wondering if anyone else is using it / thinking of using it in the near future. We have been offered a visual demonstration by Zentek at a school near us that already have it installed.

Thoughts guys/gals?

m1d

Thank Post
    We currently have a Securus trial running here. What a load of rubbish. Group managment is a pain. It constantly locks up and needs a hard reboot. Its reporting is sloooooooow. We still have violations coming that were captured over a month a go, sometimes more. It only seems to report a violation once the same child has violated and then logged in to the same machine at a later time. This means a child could be in real trouble and we would not get the report from securus until they log back in to the right machine.
    I've never experienced those problems. Have you talked to Securus support about this? At least that way you will be able to experience Securus in a fully working state before making a decision.

Thank Post
    eSafe looks really good.

Currently trialling Securus here and we have not had the instability problems you describe - I suspect you have a dud server.

Butuz

Thank Post
    We have been in contact with Securus several times. they have either not answered the phone or just told us there is nothing they can do until a software update is released.

Sigh

Thank Post
    We use Securus, have done for 18months or so, and violation reporting is almost instant. Don't have the problems you describe either.

Very surprised that you've not had response from the company as I've found them very helpful and quick to respond.

Do you know with SW version is on the server current latest is 5.42.

5.30 did have some issues but was very short lived.

Version 6 is due very soon.

Thank Post
    *laughs*

I guess I'm unique (so far) been on both sides of this fence...

When it's happy, Securus works perfectly, violations drop in regularly, never had speed issues (after setting it to 100FDx).. there's a tiny drop loading the full screen pics when several people connect at once, but nothing critical.

The other side is for 3 days I couldn't get hold of Securus, though when I did, they were quite helpful... even if almost all the stupid things with securus can be solved with a restart (even fatal errors...)

But, we got stuck on this fabled 5.3 release and I hadn't been able to get into Loader Mode after one lucky stab... (that black button hold thing NEVER EVER works for me... and select LM from the LCD panel crashed it...)

So, it's sitting in the post room awaiting the mighty Citylink to collect it and drop of the new one.

eSafe does sound da biz though.

Thank Post
    I've trialed both packages and the zentek solution is a lot better. The interface is a lot easier to use and also comes with other options such as image scanning so that no undesireable images will be displayed to the users and also Pen drive scanning so pupils cant bring in mp3's on to your network if you dont want them to.

Thank Post
    Just done update update to 5.42 today via 'black button method'.

Had used this method for other updates as well.

Image scanning is suppose to be part of V6 release which, IIRC, is due Easter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have problems becuase of a dodgy securus release. We had this, a simple update sorted it.

Thank Post
    They have not informed us that we need to update. They simply told us to wait for them to release a new update.

We are running 5.42 atm.

Thank Post
    Norfolk CC ICT Solutions here is trialling the new Version 6 box and are working closely with Securus on this.

I'd like to have a play with it, but the cost is prohibitive for the school at the moment.

V6 has got the picture recognition tech built into it which would be good to see in action.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's policy central too that has image recognition I believe in the new version. I never had the problems you describe when I was trialling Securus either.

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    The e-safe software only version how does that prevent you from changing the data that is stored?

The securus solution is a sealed box and so cannot be tampered with which makes the evidence admissable others may not be.

Ben

Thank Post
    I don't think its possible to tamper with the data esafe records either. yes it runs on a standalone server but the data recorded is safe on the HDD. The secrus box can also be opened easily enough.

On a side note, does anyone use esafe in the Southampton / Hampshire as the school we were going to to have a look, the network manage is off sick to the 24th and we need to spend the money before the end of the month.

Thanks

m1d

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Well I was thinking more of the software only version of e-safe actually.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast