+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, 9-Inch Eee PC has landed. in Technical; Originally Posted by Deaks What's the situation regarding the lifespan of the solid-state drive. Doesn't the number of read/write cycles ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaks View Post
    What's the situation regarding the lifespan of the solid-state drive. Doesn't the number of read/write cycles and an OS like XP that uses the hard drive a lot mean that you'll have to replace the storage periodically?

Have a look here.

A flash device that is rated at 100,000 write cycles, for example, can write 100,000 times "to every single (memory) cell within the device. In other words, the device doesn't write to the same cell over and over again but spreads out the writes over many different cells. This is achieved through "wear leveling," which is carried out by the SSD's controller.

This would make it virtually impossible to wear out a flash chip

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts

Thumbs down

Okay, so they are small and they are light, but what makes it better than a fully fledged Dell Laptop that currently comes with Vista Business, 2GB RAM, and 120 GB Hard Drive, 15.4" wide True Life glossy screen and the rest, for only £305 plus VAT.

Or for a lower spec' OS, e.g. Vista Home for only £229 plus VAT.

I'm starting to be put off by these devices unless the price is and stays extremely low.

Our head wants to buy 30 (either Elonex albeit with some bad reviews or EEE), but with the added support and training that will be inevitable to get students using them, i'm veering towards recommending off the shelf laptops.

The power supply and cables are probably bulkier and heavier than the device itself.

For ultimate usability, surely we'll move towards, a palm sized desktop idea, where you just carry around a large screen and keyboard with you for when you want to use it.

Thoughts anyone...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    We have bought a 7" version as a possible replacement to our Neo's in our Learning Support department. When you think we are paying £200 for http://www.alphasmart.co.uk/neo/ then you can see why the Eee could have real use in schools.
    That was my initial thought for using them aswell. If we could lock them down and use them as glorified word processors it would be a much cheaper option than buying £300-400 windows laptops and having to maintain them. Our LS dept. have been asking us to make laptops available in substantial numbers for LS pupils (who have difficulty with their handwriting) to use but I just can see how we could make it work smoothly with conventional laptops because of the cost and complexity of maintaining them (AV updates/windows updates/etc). The EEE PC looks like it would be ideally suited for this role with just a few security tweaks to stop users changing system settings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Fair enough you like it, i think its completely pointless, leave it at that :-)
    I agree.. utterly pointless and will be wrecked in a matter of minutes. Nowt much I can do about that, especially when your SLT have tax payer's money burning holes in their pockets

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Okay, so they are small and they are light, but what makes it better than a fully fledged Dell Laptop that currently comes with Vista Business, 2GB RAM, and 120 GB Hard Drive, 15.4" wide True Life glossy screen and the rest, for only £305 plus VAT.

Or for a lower spec' OS, e.g. Vista Home for only £229 plus VAT.

I'm starting to be put off by these devices unless the price is and stays extremely low.

Our head wants to buy 30 (either Elonex albeit with some bad reviews or EEE), but with the added support and training that will be inevitable to get students using them, i'm veering towards recommending off the shelf laptops.

The power supply and cables are probably bulkier and heavier than the device itself.

For ultimate usability, surely we'll move towards, a palm sized desktop idea, where you just carry around a large screen and keyboard with you for when you want to use it.

Thoughts anyone...
    hmmmm..........palm sized desktop, surely you mean the ipod touch with some improved productivity apps. Much more usable than a full sized os in the palm of you're hand with the unspeakable compromises that entails.... umpc's and tablets have failed. period.

What the eee does is reinvent the ultraportable market. Reaching new levels of usability and price/performance.

Even if devices like the oqo2 which are astoundingly expensive in comparison were within the same price bracket they still wouldn't match the eee for practicality.

The pc in you're pocket ideal should be abandoned immediately....instead work should go into creating a new breed of ipod-esque 'pdas' with the multitouch interface and a web browser that can display full web pages, but targeted for the business market

The eee's power brick is small and lightweight, mobile phone charger-esque........not too big for you is it ?

for ultimate usability give me a combination of a mobile phone and an ipod touch so i can browse the web, read and compose email, while allowing me to connect via wifi, wimax and 4g.

for more complex stuff while on the move i'll take the eee.

combined that's less than the cost of you're dell 15.4" laptop, i like the 14.1 inch dell latitiude a lot but it doesn't match the eee for compactness - not even close

I think it wise to try out some of these devices before all the ??????????????????????

Thank Post
    Just got mine at last - I think it is an amazing bit of kit for the money. It can do pretty much anything you want as standard (ok, except play COD4).

Well happy with it - it is going to replace my post it notes, and my paper pad. I don't think the pocket size idea really works - they're too small and compromised to be of any real use beyond simple note taking. I've been through a couple of PDA's and tablet PC's and they didnt really hit the spot but this EEEPC fits in my bag, weighs nothing, has 3 hour battery, and I can sit in the pub and work on my govenors presentation

What they need to do is keep the exact size of the 7" version - but hide the silly speakers, and make the screen fill the whole frame. Lets face it - no point in having decent speakers on one of these - even the big waste of space speakers that come with the 7" one still sound crap. I want the 9" one but I don't want it to be bigger or more heavy.

Also one interesting thing was I intended to immediatly install wWndows XP on mine - but so far I have been impresed enough with the standard OS that i don't think I'll bother for now

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Official final specs of the 900 available here from Asus.

Looking like around the £320.00 mark though to get your hands on one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Official final specs of the 900 available here from Asus.

Looking like around the £320.00 mark though to get your hands on one.
    The price just keeps creeping up doesnt it. First mention of these PCs a few years ago was they would be good because they would be cheap, but now they are the same price for a decent branded proper laptop.

2 issues i have is;
    Cost - by the time a pupil leaves 5th year they will be onto their 2nd one, so around £600 per pupil to get them through school
    Functionality - they are only really capable of doing secretary type work on.

For a similar price you could have a proper laptop which technically should get them through 5 years of school (providing they dont brake them that is), and is capible of web design and multimedia type applications.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123