+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, HP K850 Not printing magenta after a while in Technical; I have 2 K850's that started playing up with the magenta printing just after I read this thread so I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I have 2 K850's that started playing up with the magenta printing just after I read this thread so I think there is some voodoo going on.

I've stuck a blunt hypo into the ink feed tubes and can quite easily draw the magenta from a newly inserted fake hp cartridge.

I've tried 3 print heads from other printers and they all show naff all magenta coming through on the print head.

The printer also prints out a configuration page after every print you manage to get through it I presume because it doesn't think the heads are aligned correctly?

I've been using the same refilled cartridges for months.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I have 2 K850's that started playing up with the magenta printing just after I read this thread so I think there is some voodoo going on.
    *steps away from the "force failure" button and tries to look innocent*

I've stuck a blunt hypo into the ink feed tubes and can quite easily draw the magenta from a newly inserted fake hp cartridge.
    Ok, that removes that issue for your setup then.

I've tried 3 print heads from other printers and they all show naff all magenta coming through on the print head.

The printer also prints out a configuration page after every print you manage to get through it I presume because it doesn't think the heads are aligned correctly?
    Hmmm. That sounds a lot like the printer thinks you're shoving a new printhead in each time...

I've been using the same refilled cartridges for months.
    For yourself at least you've knocked the incompatability or ink mix issue on the head.

Ok, all I can think of that's left is one of the following:

1. There may be some kind of ink or cr*p on the contacts that the printhead circuit "board" usually touch so try cleaning those gently with a Q-tip/cotton-bud

2. The pumping mechanism for that cartridge has failed (as noted originally).

Sorry I can't be more help here but at a guess if each of you really feels the need, contacting HP and at least raising the problem may be worthwhile, especially if each one of you with the problem report it.. What it may shake loose, I've no idea unfortunately.
    Last edited by contink; 11th March 2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Yeah I believe I have 3 year care packs on both of these though which should make them under warranty trouble is I dunno what HP may ask me to do with them.

I've got some originals in another printer might stick them in and purge the ink through the printer.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Yeah I believe I have 3 year care packs on both of these though which should make them under warranty trouble is I dunno what HP may ask me to do with them.

I've got some originals in another printer might stick them in and purge the ink through the printer.

Ben
    I know that the L7(5/6/7)80, k5400 all carry information on whether they've detected a "Refilled supply" in the printer and/or printhead (check the self diagnostics info) but I'm not sure if the same can be said of the K850. You may want to check that first to see if it "knows".

Either way, it'll be interesting to find out what the heck is going on here..

Thank Post
    Well, I revisited my troublesome beast today, and since giving it another new printhead last Tuesday and replacing the ink to HP, it seems to be a happy bunny again!

I've now made my feelings on fake ink very clear!

Thank Post
    crc: was that IJT inks you were using?

Can you not get them to reimburse you for the cost of fixing it as it does seem like fake ink was the cause?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12