+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, WM6 Std Smartphone UNC path access? in Technical; I just got my new HTC S730 which does pretty much everything that I want of it with one glareing ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question WM6 Std Smartphone UNC path access?

I just got my new HTC S730 which does pretty much everything that I want of it with one glareing exception. For some reason there seems to be no support for accessing files via a UNC path or even mapping a UNC path to a folder (\\server\files). As this phone has a nice quick 802.11g wireless card I was expecting to be able to stream video/audio off my main computer at home.

Unfortunatly so far I have not found a way around this and so I was wondering if anyone knows of an application to map UNC paths on a Windows Mobile 6 Standard edition (smartphone).

So far I have wasted about half a day on Google and sent emails to the Windows Mobile Developers Blog in the search for a solution. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If anyone from Microsoft ends up reading this, I am not impressed, its your own file shareing standard, how dare you not support it easily.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I just got my new HTC S730 which does pretty much everything that I want of it with one glareing exception. For some reason there seems to be no support for accessing files via a UNC path or even mapping a UNC path to a folder (\\server\files).
    Affirmative. I have never yet found a way of doing this, unless you can find any third-party software that will provide support. Depending on your version of Windows Mobile, you should have FTP support though.

Thank Post
    Same goes for my Ipaq Voice Messenger..most annoying.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Dunno I can't even get my voice messenger to connect to our secure wireless.

Ben

Thank Post
    XDA-Developers

I Just had a search and couldn't see any solutions, but those are the people most likely to know if it can be done. Also some quite useful things about the S730 on there I sorted out a couple of things that were annoying me with the phone thanks to that forum.

6. Thanks to Jenko22 from:

SYNACK (27th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Dunno I can't even get my voice messenger to connect to our secure wireless.

Ben
    Is it a 514? I've got mine connected to home/MIL/Mum's/Works wifi fine...WEP all the way. Also had the mail setup as well.

Need to redo it, TBH..I flashed the latest firmware update and it reset the unit. I've also got to get shot of the "plinky plonky" startup sound again.

Does your Voice Messenger have a low battery warning beep? Mine seems to be missing one..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Like I said our secure network not wet piece of string wep.

Radius and WPA, the inbuilt client complains about not having a certificate to identify me but it shouldn't need one, just my username/password to authenticate with.

I use the built in odessey client and have also had the securew2 client working fine on my dell pda.

The securew2 client doesn't display the properties dialogue on the 514, I need a working TTLS client.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread