+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Nintendo DS's in Technical; Hi all We are probably going to purchase some Nintendo DS's for use in our Numeracy and literacy groups. This ...

Thank Post

Nintendo DS's

Hi all

We are probably going to purchase some Nintendo DS's for use in our Numeracy and literacy groups. This will be similar to a project that was ran in scotland.

http://ltsblogs.org.uk/consolarium/

Has any other school tried this using the brain training type games:

http://www.touchgenerations.com/enGB...n_training.php

http://www.touchgenerations.com/enGB...s_training.php

Thanks

Andrew

2. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

torledo (26th February 2008)

Thank Post
    I've got Dr Kawashima's Brain Training and spent a few weeks getting my Brain Age down to the optimium

Though it's not mathematically based.

There's a list of 20 and a list of 100 sums available for either easy or hard mode (hard has divide and multiply in, easy doesn't)

There's also a triangle type set of sums which involve doing a top row sum, then middle row and writing in the answer.

There's also a few memory games and logic in there... about 1/2 is maths.

I liked it, I believe there is a newer version out which I haven't got around to trying out yet, but I might go grab it and the other one you've mentioned.

I'd say this is a good use of money, as long as they don't get broken. I always did these in school occasionally and hated having to listen to the posh, announciated woman reading out the questions from a tape, plus this way, it's a lot quicker and they could see who can get the fastest time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    I've got Dr Kawashima's Brain Training and spent a few weeks getting my Brain Age down to the optimium

Though it's not mathematically based.

There's a list of 20 and a list of 100 sums available for either easy or hard mode (hard has divide and multiply in, easy doesn't)

There's also a triangle type set of sums which involve doing a top row sum, then middle row and writing in the answer.

There's also a few memory games and logic in there... about 1/2 is maths.

I liked it, I believe there is a newer version out which I haven't got around to trying out yet, but I might go grab it and the other one you've mentioned.

I'd say this is a good use of money, as long as they don't get broken. I always did these in school occasionally and hated having to listen to the posh, announciated woman reading out the questions from a tape, plus this way, it's a lot quicker and they could see who can get the fastest time
    Thanks this is exactly the sort of comment I wanted to hear.

I've found the consoles for £87 each and the games are £14 which I didn't think was too bad. We will probably be looking at 5 or so at first then look to see how successful they are and buy more.

What is the battery life like on them?

Thanks

Thank Post
    only thing is, you have to create profiles. so it would require the students going onto the same DS(or games cart) or require teachers guiding the kids how to delete the old profile and create a new profile.. or a techie hehe

you can also do math multiplayer over wifi. seems a good idea, as said though, as long as they don't get broken!

would love to hear how it all goes!

Thank Post
    Battery life seems pretty good to me - I've got one, and I think the Brain Training is pretty good.

The only thing with them is if you want to use any of the wifi features, it (annoyingly) doesn't support WPA - only WEP is available.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Just from experience at home... they're not very drop proof!

We've had two break here when dropped from a low height on to a hard floor at home
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 27th February 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling :(

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I've found the consoles for £87 each and the games are £14 which I didn't think was too bad.
    Dare I ask where you found them for that?.. I have a birthday present to buy.

Thank Post
    I can't comment on the Maths Training program you linked to, but I do have Brain Training - it is fun and all, but I'm not sure of the educational benefits (certainly in terms of cost-vs-benefit justification) as it is just low-number addition (e.g. 7+5, 17-8) and remembering your times tables (a struggle for me, as I was never taught them!). Even on "Hard", 56/7 is probably as hard as it gets. The Triangle Maths requires a bit more thought - you are given two sums to perform at first, you then perform another sum on the results to get your answer, without any space for workings; e.g. 4+6 and 3+4, 4+6=10 3+4=7, add those together for an answer of 17.

In terms of literacy, there is a speed reading thing (far too easy to cheat without supervision) and a syllable counting thing.

Maths Training might be better, but IMHO Brain Training would serve as a good reward, but isn't an educational tool.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Dare I ask where you found them for that?.. I have a birthday present to buy.
    From Misco but that is excluding VAT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I can't comment on the Maths Training program you linked to, but I do have Brain Training - it is fun and all, but I'm not sure of the educational benefits (certainly in terms of cost-vs-benefit justification) as it is just low-number addition (e.g. 7+5, 17-8) and remembering your times tables (a struggle for me, as I was never taught them!). Even on "Hard", 56/7 is probably as hard as it gets. The Triangle Maths requires a bit more thought - you are given two sums to perform at first, you then perform another sum on the results to get your answer, without any space for workings; e.g. 4+6 and 3+4, 4+6=10 3+4=7, add those together for an answer of 17.

In terms of literacy, there is a speed reading thing (far too easy to cheat without supervision) and a syllable counting thing.

Maths Training might be better, but IMHO Brain Training would serve as a good reward, but isn't an educational tool.
    Hi Nick

It will be used by our EAL students and students that have poor literacy and numeracy skills as a reward as you have said when they are in our inclusion area. Its not something we anticipate giving one to each student in a class for an hour.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread