+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, OLD RM Workstations in Technical; Hi guys. Working in a Primary School, have finally gotten rid of most of the old RM workstations from our ...

Thank Post

Dispose OLD RM Workstations

Hi guys.

Working in a Primary School, have finally gotten rid of most of the old RM workstations from our network (old Windows 98 stations), and had been storing up the old ones in a disused room, in case any of the others died or anything.

Anyway, the head tells me that the machines were leased from RM, and that we should write to them asking if we dispose of them, as he was wanting to give them away to families in school who do not currently have a computer (great, more work for me to do, as in clearing all the data off etc).

Just wondering where we would stand in this? Since the items were leased from RM (he informed me that the lease ran out about 3-4 years ago), do we need to contact RM and ask them what we need to do with them?

If everything's OK on that side of things, would we be OK in giving away the machines as are? I have no idea where any of the licenses are for the machines, and so would they be OK (legality wise) to give away?

Anyone else faced a similar issue before?

Thanks guys

Thank Post
    at the end of the lease if the items aren't returned a final payment is made and the job lot are now your problem!.

Thank Post
    Hmmm, not sure about the final payment. He never mentioned making a final payment...

Guess will have to talk to him more (or at least try to)...

Thank Post
    If you have paid off the lease and now own the equipment, there are other issues that you must take into consideration before giving away the computers - like who is responsible if someone gets hurt when one explodes in their face?

Thank Post
    they'll either belong to you or rm, seeing as you still have possession of them and rm haven't indicated they want them back i'd imagine the payment has been made (which i asssure you is a much ebtter option than collecting all the original lease equipment which for us included cabling!!!)

it might be worth a quick call to rm, but bear in mind that if something has gone wonky you might be stirring a hornets nest!.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    like who is responsible if someone gets hurt when one explodes in their face?
    Steve Jobs ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Remember lease is different to payment plan a lease is that you never own the computers you lease them. What happens usually with leasing company (this is 3rd party not rm) is that for nominal sum (about 2o quid if remember right) they become yours.

But what you will need to do is find Governor/local firm or something to pay it as it is against law for school to do it.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    like who is responsible if someone gets hurt when one explodes in their face?
    Is that the new rm minimine?

Thank Post
    You will need to get a letter (or somesuch) from RM declaring that they no longer have any interest in the machines and that they are yours to do with as you wish. If there are to be any payments to the lease company (which may not be RM), this cannot come from the school, it is illegal for the school to buy out the equipment, you will need to get the payment made by the PFA who can then "donate" them to the school.

There are a whole bunch of rules regarding second hand electrical equipment which if I remember right, means that you (the school) are responsible for the equipment and should anyone suffer an injury as a result of the equipment malfunctioning, then they would have the right to take legal action. Incidentally, getting them to sign a disclaimer will be pointless as it won't be worth the paper it's written on, the law would take precedent over it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    If there are to be any payments to the lease company (which may not be RM), this cannot come from the school, it is illegal for the school to buy out the equipment, you will need to get the payment made by the PFA who can then "donate" them to the school.
    Unless lovelldr works for an independent school, who are allowed to buy out of leases.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    There are a whole bunch of rules regarding second hand electrical equipment which if I remember right, means that you (the school) are responsible for the equipment and should anyone suffer an injury as a result of the equipment malfunctioning, then they would have the right to take legal action.
    I've heard that said before, but I'm not convinced - consider the huge second-hand market that is ebay or even more "reputable" things like Cash Converters, the little independent second-hand washing machine dealer near my house, or now I think about, the seized property you can buy from bailiffs or Police auctions - are you saying that they retain responsibility for the equipment they sell?

Thank Post
    I wouldn't know about those as they are commercial organizations in the business of selling secondhand electrical goods. I know I read somewhere that the school remains responsible for any kit that they dispose of to parents/kids etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread