+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, mouse problem in Technical; Mouse everyonce in a while shoots accross the screen, have changed the mouse, mouse mat, drivers and the usb port ...

Thank Post

mouse problem

Mouse everyonce in a while shoots accross the screen, have changed the mouse, mouse mat, drivers and the usb port it uses, does anyone else have any other ideas?

cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Maybe its hungry and looking for food......

I bet its infared, if it bothers you that much use a tracker ball or go back to a ball mouse...
    You will find what you have stated happens a fair bit on the infared ones. Its a 'feature'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My suggestion would be old school tech, replace it with a ball mouse and see if the problem still occurs. It it does not it is probably usage error, ie holding the optical mouse on a slight tilt then dropping it. I have seen people do this many times as the ball mice that they were used to did not complain they think that it is the mouse. Most of the time the user is unaware of even doing it.

If this fails it could be a short in the mouse port on the system as I know that when mouse cables short this kind of behavior is often the result. As you have changed the mouse maybe it is the motherboard.

Thank Post
    I get this on my black logitech optical mice, but not on the white ones. Happens to all users and it's really annoying!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    My suggestion would be old school tech, replace it with a ball mouse and see if the problem still occurs. It it does not it is probably usage error, ie holding the optical mouse on a slight tilt then dropping it. I have seen people do this many times as the ball mice that they were used to did not complain they think that it is the mouse. Most of the time the user is unaware of even doing it.

If this fails it could be a short in the mouse port on the system as I know that when mouse cables short this kind of behavior is often the result. As you have changed the mouse maybe it is the motherboard.
    would that be the case with a usb mouse? unfortunately its a very real problem, it even happens for me! (what happened to my magic tech hands!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    would that be the case with a usb mouse? unfortunately its a very real problem, it even happens for me! (what happened to my magic tech hands!)
    Shouldn't be a short if its on a USB mouse as the communications are serial. Sounds more like the optical processor in the mouse is getting confused which is quite common.

This usually happens when the mouse is moving over areas of colour like a black line on a white pad. I would try using the mouse on a sheet of clean white paper on a flat surface. If this solves it, it is the mouse getting confused by the colours and shapes on the surface or mouse pad.

The mice that I have found best at dealing with this and as such are the only ones I recommend are the Microsoft Optical 1.1 mouse. They are cheap (like NZ$20) and seem to handle this quite well. Don't get the slightly smaller Optical 2.0 mouse as that is rubbish in comparison.

Short of replacing the mice, use plain coloured mouse pads on flat surfaces as a slight drop of from a gap in the desk or something will cause the optical processor to freak. Giving you weird results like the ones that you are experiencing.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 15th February 2008 at 03:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I get this on my black logitech optical mice
    lol, some of ours have started doing that, and had a phone call about one this morning! Maybe it's built in to encourage periodical upgrades

Thank Post
    We found it was the solution our cleaner used to wipe the desks that upset ours..we requested she change it, and no more issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread