+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Mimio and their [b]customer friendly[/b] corporate policy in Technical; I just had the pleasure of having to replace some bits of a Mimio system that had been stolen over ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile Mimio and their [b]customer friendly[/b] corporate policy

I just had the pleasure of having to replace some bits of a Mimio system that had been stolen over the holidays. As such I rang up the local supplier and asked if we could purchase some replacements bits, new pens and cables.

They asked how the bits had been misplaced and once they heard about the theft and that we were a school they volunteered to provide the replacement bits for free. They then outlined the corporate policy of the parent company which pretty much said that if it stuffs up for whatever reason send it back to us and we will sort it for you. I have no idea whether this is a standard that all of the suppliers adhere to or whether the one that I was dealing with was just particularly good but it is certainly a good policy.

Having dealt with other companies that treat customers in ways that are far less than helpful it was an extremely refreshing and welcome surprise.

Thank Post
    Blimey... I'd taken your title to indicate irony but that is indeed a nice change from the norm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I just had the pleasure of having to replace some bits of a Mimio system that had been stolen over the holidays. As such I rang up the local supplier and asked if we could purchase some replacements bits, new pens and cables.

They asked how the bits had been misplaced and once they heard about the theft and that we were a school they volunteered to provide the replacement bits for free. They then outlined the corporate policy of the parent company which pretty much said that if it stuffs up for whatever reason send it back to us and we will sort it for you. I have no idea whether this is a standard that all of the suppliers adhere to or whether the one that I was dealing with was just particularly good but it is certainly a good policy.

Having dealt with other companies that treat customers in ways that are far less than helpful it was an extremely refreshing and welcome surprise.
    The suppliers we consistently use do repair or replace items that are faulty. We rarely deal directly with a manufacturer or vendor, but our suppliers are normally on the ball in replaceing damaged goods.

The actual replacement of accessories due to loss or theft, well we've not had much opportunity to test that out, but again one or two suppliers have offered to send out replacement bits if it's something they keep in stock.
    some suppliers will insist on us raising purchase orders and paying delivery, and that's annoying, rather than a big blow to our budget. It smacks of short-sightedness on they're part imo.

Thank Post
    I looked at these at BETT and wasn't sure about them - are they effective and replace like for like an IWB?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    In a similar vein, I'd just like to point out that I once contacted AlphaSmart, makers of robust word-processors for use by SEN pupils in class, to see about getting a single key replaced on a keyboard on one of their devices. Prepared to have to wade through some long-winded phone support process and pay for parts/shipping/tax/etc, I was pleasantly surprised to have the phone answered by a chap who sent out the required key, right then, free of charge.

Damn, this is so nice, isn't it? We generally sit here whining about companies, software, teachers or whatever. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to wake up tomorrow, look out of the window, and see a large rainbow covering the sky and fluffy rabbits waving up at me. <sigh>.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I looked at these at BETT and wasn't sure about them - are they effective and replace like for like an IWB?
    I had a go with them at BETT last year. They're an excellent replacement for a whiteboard, and in some ways better and more versatile. RM had one set up (upstairs in Olympia 2 or whatever it was) flat on a circular table-top, like a large-scale interactive tablet. Then they had a projector mounted above the table top and Google Earth running - basically you had a table-top interactive atlas. Way cool.

They do pen location by ultrasound (I believe - someone correct me if I'm wrong), and their response time to writing gestures is just perceptually behind the movement of the pen, unlike something like a Promethean which is pretty much instantaneous. This was a year or two ago, though, so they might well have improved since then. Also, they require "active" pens (anyone know if they need batteries?), which are a bit more pricey than just a stylus (30? more?) and a bit of a bugger if someone loses one or pupils nick it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post

Thanks
    We have three of them and yes they do the IWB thing quite well. Their pens are biggish but still managable as they are actually cases that go around a standard white board marker or a blank. They do make a smaller one to but I have not tried it as out slightly older ones don't come with it. We have found them to be really robust cause white boards are tough and also completely portable.

The pens are tracked with a combination of ultrasound and infrared, the difference in speed between these to transmition methods is how they are able to triangulate the location. The pens do have batteries in them a single AAA cell in each pen and they seem to last for ages. You can get the new pens off the supplier, the white board type ones are 29.95 + 4.95 for a blank or 55 for a smaller interactive pen one from their main europe site The sensor gives you an area of sensitivity of about 2.4M by 1.2M with reasonable speed.

They also have a new one out which has a capture feature built into the newer ones so that you don't even need a projector + pc for copying white board scribblings. You chuck it on a white board and use the active pens with the white board markers inside (standard type markers) and do your lesson. After this (up to ten hours supposedly) you can plug it in to a pc and download everything that you have written on the white board to a pc.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th February 2008 at 03:51 AM. Reason: More information

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (9th February 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread