+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, IBM DS3400 SAN in Technical; Does anyone happen to know if the IBM DS3400 supports both SATA and SAS disks simultaneously in the same unit? ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

IBM DS3400 SAN

Does anyone happen to know if the IBM DS3400 supports both SATA and SAS disks simultaneously in the same unit?
    The website says:
    Combination of 12 SAS or SATA 3.5" drives per enclosure
    I'm looking to set up a portion of a DS3400 with SAS for virtualisation, and a portion for SATA file serving, I cannot afford 100% SAS. Is this possible?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storag...ds3000/ds3400/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if the IBM DS3400 supports both SATA and SAS disks simultaneously in the same unit?
    The website says:

I'm looking to set up a portion of a DS3400 with SAS for virtualisation, and a portion for SATA file serving, I cannot afford 100% SAS. Is this possible?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storag...ds3000/ds3400/

sorry, disk arrays don't normally support fc and sata in the same shelf - but i'm really not sure about this one. There don't appear to be seperate part numbers for the exp3000 expansion shelves meaning it may support true SAS/SATA intermix in the same shelf........how bizarre!!!
    Last edited by torledo; 6th February 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: egg on my face

3. Thanks to torledo from:

FN-GM (6th February 2008)

Thank Post
    I've justy put this through my IBM configurator thing, only compatible internal storage that came up was SAS drives so I'm not sure why IBM's site is claiming it can do SATA too

Cheapest place i've found for IBM SAS's is insight with catalyst pricing

Thank Post
    Thanks chaps,
    A couple of hours later and I've drilled down through the manual, which is comprehensive. I finally found this:
    The DS3400 supports configurations of SAS or SATA disks, or a mix of both types of disk drives in the same enclosure.
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/s...df/43w7847.pdf

6. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

FN-GM (6th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would have thought so too, many Sans do such as dell.

Thank Post
    Thanks chaps,
    A couple of hours later and I've drilled down through the manual, which is comprehensive. I finally found this:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/s...df/43w7847.pdf

from a cost savings point of view it's handy that it supports mixing and matching in the same enclosure...

But tread carefully, there may be a performance penalty from mixing drives with very different perforamnce characteristics in the same shelf. Have a word with you're IBM resellers' pre-sales storage people to see if there any caveats for doing it this way.

9. Thanks to torledo from:

CyberNerd (7th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I found a review of the device, which might prove insightful.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/storage/revie...0-express.html

Quite a positive review actually.

11. Thanks to Geoff from:

Thank Post
    I suggest you price it to include both controllers, you also need to look at a pair of FC switches for redundancy - although you can do direct attached for a single host but that is often an unsupported configuration and limits options. What virtualization solution were you looking at? If it's not one of the more enterprise options then you will need think carefully about if/how multiple hosts will access the same LUN (I would assume windows would cope with shared images if you use it in a cluster).

13. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Thank Post
    I'll definitely be speaking to IBM for their recommendations.
    This unit will support direct FC connections with upto 4 hosts. We already have an IBM bladecenter so the thinking was that the FC switch will be cheaper if its integrated into the bladecenter. I doubt if dual FC switches will be possible on our budget, but the direct connection may work in emergency.
    Virtualisation is undecided, we have experience with free vmware on linux, we will also look at Citrix Xen, ESX and maybe free redhat Xen. The usual tossup between paying for good hardware vs paying for software.

Thank Post
    I'll definitely be speaking to IBM for their recommendations.
    This unit will support direct FC connections with upto 4 hosts. We already have an IBM bladecenter so the thinking was that the FC switch will be cheaper if its integrated into the bladecenter. I doubt if dual FC switches will be possible on our budget, but the direct connection may work in emergency.
    Virtualisation is undecided, we have experience with free vmware on linux, we will also look at Citrix Xen, ESX and maybe free redhat Xen. The usual tossup between paying for good hardware vs paying for software.
    You will probably have to rule ESX out with direct attached. It is not a supported configuration and they will not help you if it goes wrong (plus you need to make sure everything else you have is on the rather limited HCL)

Thank Post
    I'm going to include an FC switch in the costs, I guess I can always get another switch next year, and plan for esx then. A 10 port FC looks around £3.5k

Thank Post
    Is anyone running a DS3400 (or a DS3x series) in a hyper-v failover configuration with 2 or more nodes? How did you configure the SAN? Specifically I' d like to know how must the SAN's drives be exposed to the 2 nodes?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Why not buy some near line SAS (seagate constellation ES) they aren't much more than SATA these days and you get the SAS command set.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a 3500 that is configured like that with a mix of SAS and SATA which works really well, once you get it going (the LSI core can be a little squiffy).

If you are getting SATA drives get the dual port variety if you can as they are faster.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information