+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Hardware Thread, new hardware in Technical; I'd prefer the cavier RE2- with 400GB of storage and a speed of 7,200rpm (and with the addition of 16MB ...

Thank Post

Re: new hardware

I'd prefer the cavier RE2- with 400GB of storage and a speed of 7,200rpm (and with the addition of 16MB cache and Native Command Queuing) it would be a good addition to any server or high end workstation that needs some storage.

I think the raptors are rated at somewhere between 32dBA when idle and 36dBA when active (don't quote me on that though), which is fairly good. I've actually heard people complain about the noise of these things- and that's with the bigger 74GB version. I suppose it's all relative to the hearer. I don't personally care. I need more space than that! lol!

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

True, I had sort of forgotten about that as it was launched rather quietly with the new raptor

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

lol, god do I have the "Pick on me sign stuck to my forehead ?? " lol sheesh :P

Im getting an ibook, you feeling jealous yet lol

Thank Post

No- I'm waiting for the rumoured 13.3 widescreen version with built-in iSight and Intel Solo Processor....667MHz bus speed and 2Mb cache...yum.

Paul ;-)

Thank Post

Thats why you use the 74 gig raptors ( especially if you have 2 of them in a RAID 1 configuration ( I think its RAID 1 lol ) and then you get the larger hard drives for your data and hook them up as extra drives.

That way you still get the speed boost and also keeps your data on other drive(s) without the data being effected if you have to do a clean install

As all of you already knew anyways lol :P

Thank Post

You already have macs :P besides this is more of an introductory thing and when those come out , It cant be that hard to sell the ibook I have and get one or better yet the mac book pro cos then I can use that money to get something better YUM YUM :P

Thank Post

Whatever.

:-)

Thank Post

Did I mention, I like my nano lol

Thank Post

i prefer my 30GB black ipod video and my last of the line PPC mac mini which i got the day i went in to get it :P

but enuff of that... the noise from the WD raptor 36GB is a very high pitched sort of squeal, you need good hearing to hear it tho, my dad cant hear it cus he is too old lol mine were early models too so they may have improved the situation

Thank Post

My nano has no hard drive and no moving parts so I can run around or move it , shake it etc etc and not worry about the heads crashing or the hard drive going kaput lol.

As for watching a video, There aint no way in HELL im gonna sit in front of a tiny screen to watch a movie ( Hence the ibook cough cough lol )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts

Gone off topic a bit, lads!
    Back to my hardware.
    Anyway, today the deputy head said that we have the go ahead for the computers and it was up to me to make a final decision(ARRGHHHH).Why do I get the feeling that the unspoken sentence was: "And if they go wrong it will be entirely your fault"
    I wanted them to take notice of me but I didn't expect an 8-hour-a-week technician to make the final decision!!
    The final choice is between Fujitsu (supplied by a company called XMA) and Dell. Of course, today I have been reading awful things about Dell.
    So please, your choices please, once more with feeling - CONVINCE ME!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have no experience with Fujitsu desktops (although they were the choice forced upon us if we wanted to take advantage of the HCI thing). I think we've used XMA in the past for a couple of things (projectors probably) and not had any complaints about them as far as I can recall. As for Dell, we have a load of Dell Laptops here and assuming the support team is the same one, you should find the support on Dells to be incredible. Whenever I phone Dell Educational Support I always get a bod who knows what hes talking about, is willing to listen and believe that yes, I have plugged it in and turned it on and we always have an engineer or courier here the next day to replace or pick up the faulty part.

TBH they'd both probably be good choices, I think Fujitsu Siemens are a tier one player so you won't get tat if you buy those.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234