+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, new hardware in Technical; The school are paying for them but as I said, I dont have the clout to tell the boss where ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Re: new hardware

The school are paying for them but as I said, I dont have the clout to tell the boss where to buy the stuff from. To be honest, as long as I can get Dell to throw in the 4 year support, I think we will be happy with that.
    UNLESS someone knows of something really wonderful out there - I could try and persuade my boss again.
    Thank you everyone for your help - I will let you know what happens

Thank Post

We have direct contacts to places like Novatech, so we can buy from there. We also have a college credit card, so we can buy from ebuyer directly, this has proven very useful.

Our main supplier is a company called Cebec, our contact is Raj Vokketur and he has been brilliant. Any problems he is on the phone and his mobile! in fact he personally drives our servers down so they cannot get damaged in transit!

This company is one of the best we have used so far, excellent customer service, warranty's are usually return to base (manufacturer warranty) as we have a few technicians here we can cope with fixing / building computers. They may even have techie's they could send out to assist with this sort of thing.

Raj Vokketur at Cebec get hold of him on 08452 255059 or RVokketur@cebec.co.uk

This guy will go as far as he can to sort problems and queries you have, definitly recommended.

fooby

Thank Post

@ITWITCH: Maybe you could persuade a supplier to bring in a few demo units - the zero footprint Dell and HP for example. If you line them all up, you could compare build quality, size, wow factor, etc.

Your management may prefer this to TCO analysis and tech specs - they probably value looks, noise level and desk space over money.

Thank Post

Ohhh the Dell small foot print are very, very nice, plus have a door you can add to the back to stop fiddling. If you get a certain monitor as well you can clip the PC box to the stand and it takes up no room at all, ohh! They are very much trying to push into Education so maybe you can get them to do you a great deal for some choice quotes or something

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Stone were at my last place, never again! They were shocking, support was good if I said I want a new Hard Disk, I got it with no messing me around, but appart from that, the hardware was not that good, and they seem to have a high DOA problem last time I spoke to a head that purchased some stone stuff (although I will say that North Yorks CC had had them 1st to Image them)
    Strange.

Until a debacle that we have with some interactive whiteboard setups, Stone were always very good for us. They always used high quality parts (Intel motherboards, aopen cases, Kingston RAM, Seagate hard drives). They were quick to replace any faulty parts and let us have a boot stock of hard drives.

We did have a batch with those Fujitsu hard drives that forced Fujitsu to withdraw from the IDE hard drive business but they replaced them without fuss.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Fuji Hard Drives were the small part, but as I said, they were great for swapping them out. My problem was the Intel Motherboards, they were just not good at all really at the time I used them (mine were P3 866s with 64MB ram)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

Probably cant do this but would be nice if you could opt for certain hardware parts like what hard drives you wanted and things like that because I was going to say the western digital raptors 10,000 RPM drives are really nice.

I only have one 74 gig raptor and phew does it make a difference

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    I only have one 74 gig raptor and phew does it make a difference
    Makes a big difference to the price to tho sadly, and tey have a high pitched whine to them ( i had a pair of 36ers running striped, now that was fast) imagine a class of 30... lol

Thank Post

Must just be the 36 gig versions that whine because my 74 gig is very silent !!

Thank Post

Dell are a pretty safe bet when it comes to purchases for schools- and the stuff they sell is also quite good. Someone mentioned HP- I like their kit, in fact I've been looking at their servers for some time now ready for purchasing a new one for curriculum. Even so, the past two servers have been from Dell and are really good value for money (with excellent support- so long as you don't go through county for it).

@Shane: raptor hard drives in school systems? Not only the cost would be prohibitive, but also the noise! And no- we can't use them in the proxy server so you can play Doom!! lol!

Paul ;-)

Thank Post

lol - I dont have doom ( maybe doom 3 but even so ) I havent played any games lately , been looking forward to my ibook soooo much that I havent even thought about that

Im looking forward to the expose ripple effects and x code , apple scripts and all the other billion things I could / can do on it

Now hopefully MBNA pull there thumbs out there asses and send me the right "paper work" this time around.

What noise are you talking about btw ? As I said earlier, it must just be the 36 gig versions that make noise cos my raptor is silent because they added new ball bearings or something new to the 74 gig versions !!!

I agree with you on the cost factor though I was just giving the example , ok maybe a crud example but a one none the less

Thank Post

A room full of 10k rpm hard drives would be silent? Not even SCSI hard drives are *that* quiet! But in any case I jest.

So- you haven't gotten your iBook then? Hehehehe...or your forms from MBNA?

Ouch.

Another two weeks for you then- lol!

;-)

Thank Post

My 74GB is silent so must be the 36GB version that is noisey

Thank Post

ok at least I know im not going crazy lol :P

Thank Post

As for school servers, I am putting that or one of the new 150GB ones into a primary school shortly (feeling jellous yet??? )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast