+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, [SOLVED] Printer feed rollers don't want to feed paper, why? in Technical; So as was pointed out in Best Inkjet Printer for classrooms - EduGeek.net Forums , it seems like many staff ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs up [SOLVED] Printer feed rollers don't want to feed paper, why?

So as was pointed out in Best Inkjet Printer for classrooms - EduGeek.net Forums , it seems like many staff like to have their own printers. I particularely liked the post about staff refusing to print to the printer nearby even though it's "urgent". So true. We've got staff here that complain that their personal printer is down, and they have a fully functional business class colour laser/photocopier right next to their desk. Oh...oh wait. No. They have 4 next to their desks. They're right next to the networked copy room.

Because of this, we have many printers with rollers around the school that pick up paper. Some of them lasers, like the Dell 1700 laser printers that haven't been much good at all at feeding paper, and a few personal inkjet machines. What I'm wondering, is the machine will claim either that it has a paper jam, or that it's out of paper, when really, the paper is all loaded in, and there's nothing wrong. When I look closer, I can see the roller go down onto the paper and start rotating, and the roller doesn't do squat. It just sits there and rotates. There's no way to make it pick up paper. My question is, is the printer broken at that time? Or can you either A, do something to the roller to make it pick up paper again, or B, replace the roller? I've been looking around online and I can't find much information on this. I just found a ton of people complaining about the Dell 1700 as well with problems pulling paper into the system.

Thanks!
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Most of the HP ones are easily obtained from the web.
    They remove in seconds and mostly they just need a good wash in warm water and soap.
    You may use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean them however this can accelerate the wear as the rubber will begin to harden once chemicals are introduced.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just use some reasonably fine sandpaper to rough up the roller. Persistent use tends to wear them smooth and cause them to stop picking up paper. Of course eventually, they'll need replacing. But you'll get a few more pages out of it before that happens this way.

Thank Post
    Sometimes the rollers get clogged with paper dust, especially those with rough surfaces. A bit of sticky tape 'dabbed' on can help.

Thank Post
    This may sound daft but it does happen.
    Some makes of paper need to be put in a certain way round. If you look at the packaging on the ream it will usually tell you.

Other than that it's sandpaper and eventually a maintenance kit.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Just repaced a roller last week on a brother. takes 5 minutes to change. never tried the sand paper trick although it did cross my mind.

Thank Post
    www.click4spares.co.uk

Get all my parts from there. Can't be bothered messing around with sand paper not expensive for rollers.

Thank Post
    It's basically a question of traction, as Geoff and alan-d both say - the feeder works by a roller sitting on the paper and pushing it. If for any reason the roller can't get a grip of the paper, it won't feed it properly/at all.

We bought one brand of paper which some of our printers just refused to pick up; we changed back to the old brand and everything worked fine again. On comparing the two sheets, you could see that the problematic one was smoother/shinier than the other. I've never tried Geoff's idea of roughing the roller with sandpaper, but I don't doubt that it works.

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

I use a spray called RRR from Electrolube. (Gawd, how bad does that sound!!)
    Anyway, it stands for Rubber Roller Restorer. Just spray on, rotate the rollers a bit and spray again. Bonus is that is smells like lemons as well. I've never had this stuff let me down.

Part number is RRR250 from CPC or other places I guess.

Thank Post
    A broad pencil eraser also works in place of sandpaper.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I use one of these - works wonders...... ;-)

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem with our rollers, turns out some little twat had put chewing gum in the printer, so everytime the paper feeded in - just resulted in a paper jam!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    We had a similar problem with our rollers, turns out some little twat had put chewing gum in the printer, so everytime the paper feeded in - just resulted in a paper jam!
    Drawing pins, paper clips and staples are good at that too - I ended up moving a printer to the other end of the desk, therefore away from the noticeboard, because I got sick of going out to it to remove pins which someone had dropped into it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Drawing pins, paper clips and staples are good at that too - I ended up moving a printer to the other end of the desk, therefore away from the noticeboard, because I got sick of going out to it to remove pins which someone had dropped into it.
    Even if its bomb proof, they're certainly find a way to reck it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    Even if its bomb proof, they're certainly find a way to reck it!
    True. As the saying goes, the failing of many designs for completely idiot-proof objects is to misjudge the ingenuity of a complete idiot.

I can't completely remove their ability to break stuff, but I can at least make it as hard as possible for them, that way accidental damage is less likely.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast