+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Display goes off when instaling Server 2003 R2 onto M HP Proliant ML370 G3 in Technical; I have tried to install Server 2003 R2 from disc 1. I have used the HP SmartCD to boot the ...
    Thank Post

Display goes off when instaling Server 2003 R2 onto M HP Proliant ML370 G3

I have tried to install Server 2003 R2 from disc 1. I have used the HP SmartCD to boot the server and to get it to run the OS install. It gets to around 34 minutes remaining and then the display goes off. It seems to be running the install(but i can't see) and if i cold reboot it it just starts the install off again.

I had this before with a older server that had came in with Server 2000 on and when we tried to flatten it and put 2003 on we had the same problem. It appeared to be the AGP driver windows tries to install wont work.

We had to install 2000 to get it to work and then upgrade it to 2003. I don't really want to be doing this so has anyone else got any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could try slipstreaming SP2 onto the Cd and then installing it. You do need to run the slipstreaming on the second CD as well though to successfully install R2 afterwards. Just run the same slipstream command on the contents of the second CD ref.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 31st January 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added reference

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not familiar with the HP install, but does it try and do a complete silent install? If not, can you make it completely silent?

When it's done its final reboot it ought to be sitting there with a blank screen, waiting for you to log on. If it is just a video problem you should be able to log on and then close the window that wants you to install updates etc. Once this is done, you should have network access. You now have to get good at using the keyboard - on a screen where you can see what's going on, go through the steps to enable remote desktop and do the same on the machine with no desktop. You should now be able to connect to the machine and change the video driver.

I've never done this for 2003 Server but I've done it on XP/2000 (and using VNC rather than RDP but I can't see why it won't work)

Good luck :-)

Thank Post
    Still no joy with this,

I installed Server 2000 on it and it worked fine, I then chose the upgrade path to 2003 install and away it went. It gets to around 34 minutes and the screen goes off.

I can't get my head around it.

PEO
    Thank Post
    I know the screen temp flash's off and then back on when its installing the drivers for graphics. never known it to completely switch off. have you tried a diffrent brand graphics card?

Thank Post
    Its onboard, I dont have any spare cards to try

Thank Post
    pinch one from a student machine ... its not like they'll be using it, between attention spans!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I know the screen temp flash's off and then back on when its installing the drivers for graphics. never known it to completely switch off. have you tried a diffrent brand graphics card?
    I often get one or two that stay black after the driver detection during sysprep with the latest nvidia drivers. At least all I have to do is carefully type a computer name and hit enter for it to finish.

Kyle, you could make an unattended install disk using the ms deployment tools with all the answers in so that it doesn't matter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread