+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Protecting Mains Sockets in Technical; Does anyone have any ideas about how to protect mains sockets from accidental/malicious switching off? I've looked through the caretaker's ...

Thank Post

Protecting Mains Sockets

Does anyone have any ideas about how to protect mains sockets from accidental/malicious switching off? I've looked through the caretaker's stack of catalogues and the only solution I can find is tad expensive (this one Here. I was thinking of having a box made up to go over the socket with some kind of wingnut/hex nut/bot arrangement to lock it down but still make it accessible when needed.

Thank Post
    What is it that you don't want switching off?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas about how to protect mains sockets from accidental/malicious switching off? I've looked through the caretaker's stack of catalogues and the only solution I can find is tad expensive
    ...and has a "tamper evident" seal that can be broken "in emergencies". Would not an unswitched fuse spur be what you want?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What is it that you don't want switching off?
    Our IT suites have cupboards of PCs connected to a few wall sockets at one end, the little darlings have found that switching the wall sockets off means that I have to come down to open the cupboards and switch the systems back on, stalling the lesson for a good 10mins

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    ...and has a "tamper evident" seal that can be broken "in emergencies". Would not an unswitched fuse spur be what you want?

--
    David Hicks
    David: That would mean re-wiring, and getting that past the powers-that-be might be "challenging".

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Any chance of mounting a lockable cabinet over the power switches? (suitable hole may be needed in the back of it - contact your technology dept!)

Thank Post
    good call - have a chat with your caretakers and see if you can acquire an old cupboard or similar, then open the back of it to the sockets and screw the thing to the wall, then padlock it shut.

It's how we did the presentation system in our theatre..Everything lives in the cupboard, the CRT is screwed to it, the sockets are covered by it, and it's kensington'd to the wall with a ruddy great hasp lock keeping people out.

Best answer we've ever had down there.

kerrymoralee9280
    Can you not get some kind of cattle prod devide that's connected with the outside of the plug - the next time they unplug they get a little shock. Guess it won't take them long for it to catch on.

Thank Post
    You could get an electrician in to replace the facias with something like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/195081

But it wouldn't stop them being unplugged....

May be something like this would do the job:
    http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/3334...ug-cover-.html

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    The baby site one seems to be the best idea, the problem with mounted boxes is if the sockets need to be turned off during fire/emergency. The idea that the D&T teacher came up with was to vacuum-form some plastic boxes with slots in to be screwed to the wall covering the sockets.

Thank Post
    If you're going to go down the vac forming route, make sure that they use suitably thick plastic to produce the forms or else they'll just crack/buckle etc with the first kid that decides to take a punch at them to see if they come off.

A lot of vacuum forming that was done in my school was using 2mm sheeting (it's either ABS or some kind of acrylic i forget now) and I personally found that it cracked and snapped quite easily under pressure from just pushing it a bit with a hand.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread