+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Printing Crashes Application in Technical; I wouldn't have believed this one if I hadn't seen it for myself, but here it is: When printing to ...
    Thank Post

Printing Crashes Application

I wouldn't have believed this one if I hadn't seen it for myself, but here it is:

When printing to the colour printer in our Staff Room (HP Business Inkjet 1100 on a Linksys print server set as a local port on our W2K CC3 DC), the application you are printing from will close, or rather crash as it doesn't save any changes which have been made. The Staff Room's black printer (Brother HL1450 configured in the same way) is unaffected. This problem appears to affect all users (including systemadmin) but only applies to certain files; the affected print-jobs are not completely random though - i.e. a print-job will either always crash the application or never crash it. In one reported incident, someone printed a file without the application crashing, modified the file a bit more and printed it again, this time with it crashing.

I'm all out on this one so I'm open to any suggestions which you may be able to offer...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Are those 2 printers configured on the server and pointed at the linksys print server and then the clients ( windows xp sp 2 ) I am presuming crash out on that one printer on the linksys print server but not the other one ?

Also am presuming the printers are mapped or added to the clients via a logon script of some sort ?

or are you using R2 or what exactly ?

If so then what happens if you swap the two printers around on the print server does it affect the opposite printer and not the other one ?

Also what file types is it effecting , or is it just effecting all file types regardless or what exactly ?

Also are there any errors on the DC relating to printing in event viewer ?

Thank Post
    The print server is set up as a local port on the DC server, shared out from there and then delivered to the PCs via GPO (using RM CC3). I haven't tried swapping them round on the print server though, good thought...

I'm not completely sure which files are affected - definitely Word and Excel, possibly others too (it's hard to say with intermittent problems! also, as you know people don't always report problems).

There's nothing obvious in the Event Logs on either the server or the client although the client event logs do have something a little hinky in them. There are various "Warnings" in the System logs about printer drivers being added or updated; now, these in themselves don't seem to be anything unusual and other PCs also have them, but what is odd is that they refer to printers which aren't attached to /available from the Staff Room.

Thank Post
    what event id's do those errors have?

Also not sure how you are distributing the drivers ? When we had R2 we discovered that R2 was trying to distribute its own driver for the printers we had installed ( which was an out dated driver for the printers we had ) which once we updated the drivers on the server, it started to push out the correct driver for the clients.

So maybe its something to do with the driver on the server ? would be an idea to test this out when people are not using the staff room or when there aren't too many people about.

A bit odd how its pointing to printers that do not exist though.

Thank Post
    To be honest, I'm not sure how I'm distributing the drivers either - I guess the server must be pushing them out to the clients. The server is Win2K, XP clients.

The random printers which are listed were once available to those PCs, but have since been removed to other locations, so I wonder if the server is getting confused about which printers are there - could I check this in the AD somewhere? That said, why would that cause Word to crash?

Thank Post
    am presuming the user has the correct printer selected to print the document ?

If so if you logon as admin on the machine or machines, what printer driver does that printer use and is it out of date ?

Not sure about why it makes word or anything else crash out though but if you could post back with those errors along with the event id of each one.

As for the printer drivers getting pushed out considering your server is win2k am presuming that it may be something to do with the RM CC3 side of it ( possibly )

Thank Post
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Print
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20
    Date: 30/01/2008
    Time: 07:43:01
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: STAFFROOM-01
    Description:
    Printer Driver HP Business Inkjet 2280 PCL 5C for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- HPSF031G.DLL, HPSF031E.DLL, HPSF031I.PMD, HPSF031E.HLP, HPBFTM32.DLL, HPBAFD32.DLL, HPCDMC32.DLL, HPIJ2280.CFG, HP1ljhbp.cfg, HPwfjfdv.cfg, HP1l039p.cfg, HPwcreja.cfg, HP1lpe2u.cfg, HPxwapnb.cfg, HP1n4b1p.cfg, HP1h654l.cfg.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This is one of the messages relating to non-existent (or rather, no long existent) printers; the same message also appears with reference to numerous other printers, including the current printer. I've looked at a random selection of other PCs around the school, and they all contain this message in the System event logs except they only refer to the correct printer for those PCs.

I haven't tried looking at the drivers on the PC itself - will try that when next I am near that PC.

It's definitely not user error, as I have seen this happen myself, and indeed had it happen to me.

Thank Post
    Bit of a guess but I suspect you're barking up the right tree or in the right direction regarding drivers. It's possible and maybe even likely that the Win2k server doesn't have the correct drivers for XP.

You might want to try manually updating the driver on an XP workstation and see if it then works (ie: doesn't crash). If that works I have no idea how you'd set the 2k box to deploy the correct drivers but I'm sure someone will.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any 2280's still around? If not, you should probably remove the driver from the server (btw this procedure works on XP clients too, if you have need to remove or reinstall a driver manually there)

1. Open up Printers and Faxes.
    2. Go to File -> Server Properties.
    3. Click the Driver tab.
    4. Find the offending printer driver, then either 'remove' or 'reinstall' depending on what you want to do.

Thank Post
    if you update the drivers on the server they should update on the clients. Might be worth seeing if the failing machines have different drivers to the others?

Thank Post
    We've still got the 2280, it's just not in the Staff Room any more. That's not the only printer which appears in the event log though; other makes/models (which we also still have elsewhere in the school) are listed too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    if you update the drivers on the server they should update on the clients. Might be worth seeing if the failing machines have different drivers to the others?
    I see where you're going, but there aren't any "others" as such; all 3 PCs in the Staff Room exhibit this problem, and no other PCs can print to it.

I will try manually updating the drivers though...

Thank Post
    We have had similar situations like this with printers and it almost always turns out to be driver related. In some cases sending a PCL datastream will fail, sending it as Postscript (with a Postscript driver installed) will work. Vice versa works too. In other cases sending a PCL datastream to a Kyocera printer will cause a failure, sending it to an HP Printer as PCL will work. These were all driver problems.

How easy would it be to 'locally' attach the printer to one of the suspect machines and see what happens? If it still crashes you can probably eliminate the network print server from the investigation and focus on drivers.

Thank Post
    Okay, so I've done a bit more playing, and here's what else I now know:
    - The drivers are good, I updated them anyway, but it still does it on the newer ones
    - It crashes regardless of which port it is connected to on the print server
    - When attached locally to the PC (using the same, new, drivers as above), you can print without incident

The event logs weren't entirely helpful; the spurious error messages earlier sometimes appear and sometimes don't with no obvious pattern as to which. I can say that when I successfully printed to it locally, there was only one event log message, and this referred to the correct model of printer.

Thank Post
    Ages ago I found a useful utility on the Kyocera website. It is a printer driver 'deleter' that will remove all traces of printer drivers from a client PC. Sometimes there are 'orphan' files and registry entries left lying around that can be a chore to remove, the Kyocera Deleter will sort them all out regardless of who's printer they belong to. Running this program has sorted out numerous printer driver related issues at my school.

If you want to download it search for 'deleter' at http://www.kyoceramita.eu/index/service/dlc.html
    Last edited by broc; 30th January 2008 at 12:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast