+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Left handed mouse in Technical; Hi I am Having this exat same problem. I have the batch file to change the mose to left handed ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi I am Having this exat same problem. I have the batch file to change the mose to left handed configuration but the teacher concerned wants a second batch file to change back to right handed and this is where i am battling. So far what i can find is that you need to go into control panel and change it that way. any help would be greatly appreciated

Tia
    David

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjashadow View Post
    Hi I am Having this exat same problem. I have the batch file to change the mose to left handed configuration but the teacher concerned wants a second batch file to change back to right handed and this is where i am battling. So far what i can find is that you need to go into control panel and change it that way. any help would be greatly appreciated

Tia
    David
    Maybe try a little bit of script attached to the log off script for this user, which swaps it back. Even go as rough as VBA.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sorry i just realised that i forgot to mention that it is a common profile as the kids are very young. Grade 0-3's thats why i am looking at a batch file.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

Just out of interest, both my kids are left handed - they use the mouse in their left hand but I have left the buttons how they are.....
    I can't help feeling that this is the solution. I'm all for helping people whho have difficulties, but think that lefties would do better long term to feel comfortable with a standard mouse setup so that they can use a computer anywhere. The only necessary change being to move the mouse to the left side of the computer.

OP says this youngster is very young and so they will adapt, it's not like scissors that won't work in the wrong hand, so maybe a diplomatic word with a teacher or SENCO to back this view would help?

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

ninjashadow (11th April 2013)

ijk

Thank Post
    We faced a similar situation at our school and found Dmouse which solved it for us.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    I agree - lefties should just move the mouse to the other side and be aware of which button is which
    After all, they can't change the mouse over on a netbook or laptop, can they?

As @elsiegee40 says, other than scissor, lefties need to cope in a mostly-right-handed world. I know many lefties,including mrwITch who use their mouse right-handed because that is how they have always done it. (Looking up at him now, I see he is scrolling on the pad using his right hand and clicking with his left!)
    Few left handed people restring their guitars and play upside down - yes, except Paul McCartney, I know. I play an instrument where the power is all in the left hand which could be an issue for right-handers - but it doesn't seem to matter. Many lefties use their knife and fork in the traditional right-handed configuration as well.

Thank Post
    The o/s should make it easy for people to change the peripherals as they want. If people want to use a left handed mouse with swapped buttons they should be able to without having to jump through hoops. I'm right handed, but I've used a trackball on left, with swapped buttons for the last ten years or so. Similarly, if I want to use a Dvorak keyboard, I shouldn't have to jump though hoops for that either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    But the reality is that most shared computers cannot have their mouse setup easily changed. In a busines, it is easier to be able to hop onto any computer and use it (especially if you're the NM!) than have to soend any amount of time, however small, having to swap things about.

Lefties manage to drive cars that are configured for righties without ever changing them, they can use a mouse with their let hand without swapping buttons too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Unfortunately the parent is being quiet insistant, they are going as far as to blame things on the fact that the student is struggling with the mouse. Unfortunatly our senco have humored the parents so it has been left up to the teacher and now to us to sort it out

Thank Post
    I would ask the parent what mouse they use at home. If there is not a computer in the house, then i would question where they learned that there was such a thing. If it remains an issue, then i would buy a simple flat track pad, with the buttons like you would get in a laptop, and tell them to use that.

Simply fitting an ergonomic mouse, for left handed people isn't going to make it any easier for the child as they grow up, as the mouse is not going to be with us much longer, as we are moving to touch screens.

Thank Post
    Im a leftie and never had a problem. In fact as I type this the mouse is sitting on the righthand side of the keyboard and I use my right hand to control it. I know we are talking about children here but what happens later on when a teacher or tutor says "now everyone use right-click to get the context menu up"? "left-click" and "right-click" are ingrained in computer speak. Its just going to confuse the kids later on.

13. Thanks to fiza from:

ninjashadow (11th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts
    I'm left handed and have the mouse on the left hand side but have never swapped the buttons as that just seems wrong to me allthough I do left click with my middle finger.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    a big thank you to all that have commented.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is an odd one!

I'm left handed but cannot use a mouse in my left hand. Being taught since school to use it with my right has given me excellent control (just all all those on COD2 who I used to headshot!)

A script to change the buttons sounds like the best plan for you though. That or TipEx a big 'L' on a mouse and give them that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hi can you give me a link to get dmouse. i seem not to be terribly successful in looking for the installer :| Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast