+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, I want a digital camera. in Technical; I'm wanting a new Digital Camera for personal use. As much as I'd love a dSLR I just don't think ...
    Thank Post

I want a digital camera.

I'm wanting a new Digital Camera for personal use.

As much as I'd love a dSLR I just don't think I'd ever carry it with me, so it has to be a compact.

From what I've read once you get over 6mp there's not really much point without a larger CCD and better lens.

I'd like it to be quite fast as my last one is really quite slow.

I don't want Kodak - their pictures are too saturated.

I'd like lots of settings to play with, ideally shutter speed and timeshift would be great as would manual focus.

I'd be taking a big mix of scenery/people/arty things too.

Am I asking too much from a compact?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fuji FinePix S5700's are excellent - we just bought 8 of them. Superb little cameras.

Thank Post
    I've recently bought a Canon IXUS 75. It has a larger screen than most cameras of a similar price. It's well worth looking at.

Thank Post

Wink

I too endorse the Fuji S5700, good quality pics and plenty of scope for use. I got one for xmas even though I asked santa for a canon!

Thank Post
    While the S5700 does look nice, it's too big unfortunately, I just would not take it anywhere with me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just bought (well, won a voucher towards) a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 but I think that will be too big for what you want. I think the compact Panasonics you'd like are the LX2 or the TZ3.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    a mate of mine just got a IXUS 70 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-7...1096557&sr=1-4

I normally scoff at anything that isn't a DSLR, but these are well good, and the face detection really works too...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post

I'd like it to be quite fast as my last one is really quite slow.

I'd like lots of settings to play with, ideally shutter speed and timeshift would be great as would manual focus.

I'd be taking a big mix of scenery/people/arty things too.
    This is just my opinion but from what you have said a DSLR would be the best bet, and if not that the a bridge camera at the very least. But I am guessing that these are to large also.

I went from a compact to a DSLR a year ago (Canon 350D), and yes having to carry round a larger camera can be a pain at times, but the images it takes even in the hands of a DSLR novice like myself are better than anything this I took with my compact. The speed of the thing alone makes the jump worth while.

I would sugest spending some time with both a compact of your choosing, and a budget DSLR (Canon 400D for example) and see for yourself if the benifits of the DSLR outweigh the size issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    a mate of mine just got a IXUS 70 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-7...1096557&sr=1-4

I normally scoff at anything that isn't a DSLR, but these are well good, and the face detection really works too...
    Ive got a Cannon IXUS 55 ( I think thats the correct make and model ) anyway its really good , its only a 5 mega pixel deal but picture quality and the rest of it is pretty good.

And with the 2 above being ixus 70 and ixus 75's they are obviously better then the one I have.

So agree with them, Also agree with the SLR comment but obviously you said you didnt want an SLR

Thank Post
    Good idea, I might borrow one of each from the Art department over Easter and have a play.

I understand that I'll get my complete control that I want and excellent quality photos with a dSLR, but other than size, cost is an issue too. I mean I can spend what might be considered a lot for a compact, but that's not even gonna get my the body and a crap lens for the dSLR is it? Nevermind extra lenses etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    for £400 odd you could track down a canon eos400d and 18-55mm lens.

but that is still a big jump from the 150-ish for a compact.

my girlfriends just got a eos and its awesome, totally recommend it. but I know what you mean, sometimes you just want something to keep in your pocket.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    What is your budget mrforgetful, if you don't mind me asking? There are some bargins to be had on SH DSLR kit. You could pick up a mint 350D + kit lense for arround the £250.00 mark.

As for Lenses I'm still on the 18-55 that came with the camera. Not great by DSLR standards but more than fine as a start.
    Last edited by SYSMAN_MK; 23rd January 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    I'm wanting a new Digital Camera for personal use. As much as I'd love a dSLR I just don't think I'd ever carry it with me, so it has to be a compact.
    For the ultimate in take-anyware-ability, the Sanyo Xacti CA65 claims to be waterproof to a depth of 1.5m. Records stills and images straight to SD card. Had a look at one in Jessops the other day, they certainly look small and compact enough. Not sure what still image quality would be like, though.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I'm certain SLR isn't the way to go, simply won't use it.

At the minute (and subject to change) I'm swaying towards the Canon Powershots or IXUS ranges. The Powershots have a lot of functionality like SLR but depends how big it is in realy life, if too big probably an IXUS.

Thank Post
    I got a Digital IXUS 950IS (powershot something-or-other in the US) at Christmas. Amazon was cheapest at the time, but it looks to have jumped up about £20:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-9.../dp/B000RGLZYC

Very happy with it and the batteries that come with them now are many miles better than I was putting up with with my old NiMH battery camera. It's packed full of features (like most compacts it seems you need to use spot focus if you want to do it manually, but you can then lock it in place).

Video and audio quality is surprisingly good.

I was a tad annoyed that it seems to boost the brightness on the lcd screen for images which are too dark, so you have to switch the histogram view on to make sure your pics aren't really underexposed. I'm guessing that will be the case for all the IXUS range. IIRC the 950 has optical stabilisation rather than the digital version you get in other models.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast