+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, I want a digital camera. in Technical; Another vote for Canon IXUS from me... although I never use my IXUS anymore (since getting a EOS 300D and ...

Thank Post
    Another vote for Canon IXUS from me... although I never use my IXUS anymore (since getting a EOS 300D and then a 10D).

Thank Post
    BTW: This is handy if you want to compare the shots taken by ordinary folk on the different models:

Flickr Camera Finder

(Apologies if you've seen it before)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On compact side one best buys we brought at work was was Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N2 10mp with extra large (think 5 gig might be wrong) memory card for it. Even on highest quality etc we can take 2000 photos or something.

You do notice difference between lower mp camera's etc and this one and to boot is also compact as well.

Thank Post
    Digital cameras are a prime example of how manufacturers exploit the 'numbers' game. It is easy to fall into the trap of assuming the more pixels the better. Decent optics will generally provide better quality images. Small slow lenses will increase the chance of 'noise' on the image at low light levels, as well as introducing all manner of image defects. I would always sacrifice MPs for optical quality. Most 'budget' DSLR lenses will outperform compact camera lenses.

At the budget end of the market, you can pick up a Nikon D40 (cheaper than D40X) for less than 300, if you still want a compact, I would recommend the Canon Ixus 70 for around 120. It has an optical viewfinder unlike many compact cameras which means you can switch off the screen & save power.

I use both types of cameras depending upon what I am doing. If I fancy a serious photo session I take the DSLR, if I am just out for the day I quite often stick the compact in my shirt pocket.

Thank Post
    Cheers for all the info guys.

Seems the Canons are very popular (I refuse to buy anything Sony) so will be going for one of the IXUS/Powershot range. Does it stand to reason that the higher up the range the better the camera will be? Or is there a dud one in there as sometimes happens?

I shall go have a look through the Flickr page, I've not been before.

Thank Post
    Every manufacturer produces a 'lemon' from time to time..........

Work out what your budget is; work out what features are important to you, a lot of cameras are loaded with 'features' that sound incredibly useful but hardly get used.

A useful site for looking at camera reviews is

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Bear in mind that some models have different designations in the US compared with the UK, this is especially true of Canon. You can work out the UK equivalent from the spec/photos of the cameras though.

Thank Post
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131589

Incredible camera for under 120! Superb picture quality, very easy to use (even for very little fingers!) and great price. Will beat many 200-300 alternatives.

Dave

Thank Post
    Am a total canon-convert, (300D and Ixus 50) and having used a good range of canons, the only one I didn't like was my brother's bigger-than-normal powershot s3(?) - too big to be compact, not anything like as good as an SLR.

Still, the s3 died when Will had come back from holiday to malaysia. I popped in on him that morning, still jetlagged. Conversation went like this:

Tom: Alright billy, got any pictures of monkeys from malaysia?
    Will: Aye, they're a bit shite though, and i'm well jetlagged, i'll just get the camera
    (time passes)
    Will: Here look at his (spangs camera onto the floor in jetlagged fit of stupids)

It deserved it - he now has a nikon D40 which is a great camera except for not working with some lenses (eg the 50mm prime)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12