+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Noisey *new* WD hard drive... in Technical; Just got one of these http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=27026 Stuck it in and hell is it noisey! Its a high pitch noisey, persumably ...

Thank Post

Noisey *new* WD hard drive...

Just got one of these http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=27026

Stuck it in and hell is it noisey! Its a high pitch noisey, persumably from the platters spinning. At first i thought my PSU had gone as its that type of high pitch whale, the type that you can hear in any part of the room, sort of like when your tele is making that high pitch noise but not as high.

Anyone else had one of these? Does it quiet down or should i be sending it back?

:beer:

Thank Post
    I've heard (mind the pun) that these disks are incredibly noisy... something about not being allowed to use noise reduction technology but I took that statement with a pinch of salt.

Thank Post
    I doubt its going to get any better with age. I've returned new drives in the past as I just couldn't live with the noise, even when they were supposed to be quiet. It all seems a bit hit an miss to what the pitch will be from the motor.

You could try a spinpoint, I've stopped buying WD's as mine all seem to die (even the expensive raid editions I bought for a NAS). Not really *all* of them, but more than I would like.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've always found Seagate Barracuda disks to be fairly quiet. I also avoid Aria at all costs due to bad experience with their customer services.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I've always found Seagate Barracuda disks to be fairly quiet. I also avoid Aria at all costs due to bad experience with their customer services.
    Intresting, I would say the exact opposite of this...

They've always been very good at arranging returns and replacements for us.

Just shows you how much experiences can vary I guess

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    You get what you pay for.
    A 500gig hard disk for £50? Something has to give.

I use raptors in my home PC, for reliability and speed, they cost a lot of dosh though.

You could try rubber gromets though, that might help. Try your local modeling shop for some model aircraft fuel hose, cut into 2mm o rings and place wither side of the mounting screws, just dont over tighten them. Also make sure its not the case resonating, as this can casue one hell of a racket and is somewhat easier to fix with foam tape and such like.

Thank Post
    And I like WD wouldn`t touch any other make...

Raptors with alot more space are needed...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Jona: In a nutshell: they refused to refund money for a faulty product and eventually after about 8 weeks they offered a credit note to a value less than what I paid for the product originally. During this time it was difficult to get a response from people at Aria, so I explained the situation (nicely!) on the forum and was subsequently banned (some woman repeating "This is my lair, I can do what I like, we'll have no negative comments here!"). Very unprofessional in my personal opinion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    You get what you pay for.
    A 500gig hard disk for £50? Something has to give.
    Thats how much 500gb hard drives are now, all the big brands are within a few £ of eachother.

Im quite sure my case isnt resonanting but will give it a go. Got it on to copy 400gb today while im at work, and may remotely log in to delete the data and restart the copy so that it gets a *good* burn in.

Cheers
    Last edited by j17sparky; 23rd January 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @Jona: In a nutshell: they refused to refund money for a faulty product and eventually after about 8 weeks they offered a credit note to a value less than what I paid for the product originally. During this time it was difficult to get a response from people at Aria, so I explained the situation (nicely!) on the forum and was subsequently banned (some woman repeating "This is my lair, I can do what I like, we'll have no negative comments here!"). Very unprofessional in my personal opinion.
    Fair enough, I always use the RMA form avaliable here: http://www.aria.co.uk/Support/Returns+Info
    And if needs be phone customer services (0870 443 2389).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I did use the RMA form and followed the whole process. A story about the phone number, too - I phoned at 4:20pm one day and was kept on hold until 5pm when I was then told that they had closed. Thanks a lot Aria.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Nice grommets here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...&doy=23m1#spec

(Hope I am allowed to post site links here )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Thats how much 500gb hard drives are now, all the big brands are within a few £ of eachother.

Im quite sure my case isnt resonanting but will give it a go. Got it on to copy 400gb today while im at work, and may remotely log in to delete the data and restart the copy so that it gets a *good* burn in.

Cheers
    Not what I ment, 500gigs on a drive is a lot. The technology is there, but for that price quality is going to come second.

Its why the Raptor drives are the best for reliability (for consumer disks), but they are £1 per gig. Scsii costs even more per gig but then again is designed to run for 5 years constantly without failure in a server.

Consumer drives are built to a price and a percentage are going to fail or not meet the standards required. The drive companies let the consumers do the quality control testing, most of the faulty drives will fail within the first hour, the majority within 24hrs and the rest should last upwards of 3 years normal use. This is more cost effective than doing the testing yourself.

Now I do have a 200MB HD that is sitting in the bottom of a draw at home. This from the days when the drive would have cost upwards of £400 (1990 ish I think). It still works, go figure

Oh and to suck eggs, first you have to open your mouth wide.

Thank Post
    I see the raptor as an overpriced marketing exercise though, there are plenty of other disks rated at 1.2m hours mtbf with higher densities that get similar performance. The raptor is just expensive because it can be, not because it is somehow a better class of drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I really should replace the 40GB drive I have at home... then again I would have to install everything again....

I like maxtor.... except they don't exist anymore :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast