+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Install printer without the printer. in Technical; I have just had to remove local admin rights from a user who could nt control her children from messing ...
    Thank Post

Install printer without the printer.

I have just had to remove local admin rights from a user who could nt control her children from messing with her "school" laptop.

She is now moaning that she won't be able to install her printer or set up her broadband...

I know some printers install procedure is to run the software on the cd and then plub in the usb cable - will she need to bring in her printer if it won't install without admin rights (she is power user) or is there a way around this?

Also, will she be able to set up her wireless broadband connection without admin rights? And again if she has to bring it in for us to do it can she just bring in the details ie SSID and encryption key for us to do it....?

cheers

Thank Post
    give her back the admin rights overnight if she really needs them.

Thank Post
    Just ask her to bring the printer in... it's a one-off thing. The same can be done with broadband.

It is also worth mentioning to the teacher that the laptop should only be used for work puposes otherwise the school would have to pay VAT on it - money that the school cannot afford.

Thank Post
    Set up a local "home" user account for her, and give that local admin rights so she can use that account away from school, stops her home broadband messing your domain internet connection settings too unless you are enforcing them with GP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    Set up a local "home" user account for her, and give that local admin rights so she can use that account away from school, stops her home broadband messing your domain internet connection settings too unless you are enforcing them with GP.
    Still means the kids can mess things up though, as local admin rights effect a hole computer and not just the non domain account...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    what about power user ?

Right click my computer --> manage --> local users and groups --> groups and add the user account into the power user group

*shrugs*

Short of that they will have to bring the printer in along with the ssid etc of the broadband router in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Why not install pdf creator (free) and all the documents she wishes to print will be converted to pdf whereupon she can then put on usb pendrive and print off at the school. Saves her money and saves you time as you can install it on her laptop and she can access using restricted user account + her kids can't mess things up (total solution).

Me thinks the laptop is not used for school work at all but as a tool to control her kids.

Thank Post
    User has power user rights locally...

I think the solution is to give user admin rights for one night to set up home printer and broadband and then remove again.

Pain in the ass...but then I've had this laptop back 3 times with issues caused by her kids installing software.....fed up with it....

Thank Post
    We used to give local admin rights on laptops used at home, after having one filled with spyware get us blacklisted for 1/2 a day they're all limited accounts now, no more user control.

Printer... usually try to suggest some other solution and not have their software on the machine (imagine if they put Lexmark drivers on ), doubt you'd need admin rights to connect to a wireless network although that said I never ran a limited account for any length of time on any PC I own

Thank Post

Red face

I'd simply tell the teacher to be more responsible with her laptop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread