+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Faulty Printer Toner in Technical; Not sure if this should be here or in FFS. We've just had to replace a faulty toner in one ...
    Thank Post

Faulty Printer Toner

Not sure if this should be here or in FFS.

We've just had to replace a faulty toner in one of our printers - the manufacturer has agreed to refund us for the remaining ink which was in it, but they are doing this in the form of a discount voucher from their own (slightly over-priced) web site. Oh yeah, and the voucher only works if I buy in Euro, which will be tricky as we don't have a Euro bank account.

Should I accept this, or should I tell them "no, give me a cheque for wasted ink so I can buy from my preferred supplier"?

Thoughts welcome...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    I would tell them no you send me a new replacement toner.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A faulty toner would require a new toner cartridge to be sent out... No quibbles, that be the law.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    that be the law.
    Can you cite that anywhere?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Can you cite that anywhere?
    The law would be the Sale of Goods Act 1979. If an item fails during reasonable use and during a reasonable life time (with most electrical goods this can be said to be 12 months) then the company has a legal responsibility to either repair, replace or refund.

They are your statutory rights...

See http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0043-1011.txt

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Okay, so the Sale of Goods Act does permit them to offer a refund rather than a replacement, and also to deduct something from this for the ink which we used before the fault presented.

We're still left with the twofold issue that a) they're forcing me to buy from them, and b) the refund is in Euro, which doesn't help! I would be able to make them pick up our bank charges for the foreign currency transaction, but that is all seeming like more hassle than it is worth.

I'm now waiting on a phone call back from Customer Relations...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    I'd take it up with whoever sold you the toner. Your contract was with them and they have sold you a faulty item. It is the retailer's responsibility to replace or refund

It is, therefore, the responsibility of the retailer to refund the price of the toner. The fact that the manufacturer has agreed that it is faulty is simply evidence to present to the retailer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so the Sale of Goods Act does permit them to offer a refund rather than a replacement, and also to deduct something from this for the ink which we used before the fault presented.

We're still left with the twofold issue that a) they're forcing me to buy from them, and b) the refund is in Euro, which doesn't help! I would be able to make them pick up our bank charges for the foreign currency transaction, but that is all seeming like more hassle than it is worth.

I'm now waiting on a phone call back from Customer Relations...
    Nope, they can't reduce the refund if you don't agree to it. Both of the parties have to agree to a solution - it isn't just up to one side to demand or offer a solution and the other has to agree to it.

It is reasonable to demand a full replacement due to the loss of earnings/time having to deal with the product not being fit for purpose.

Any company who refuses to give a full refund for a faulty toner is a company that should be avoided. It is a poor business practice and doesn't encourage good relations.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Any company who refuses to give a full refund for a faulty toner is a company that should be avoided. It is a poor business practice and doesn't encourage good relations.
    The old 'do you want any further orders from us?' line usualy works in these cases - there are plenty of suppliers out there and they won't want to lose your business.

Any chance of telling us who is it so they can be avoided?

HBJB

Thank Post
    Are you using original or replacement toner? If it is original you should get at the least a free replacement, bollox to what you have used, should be a free replacement. If you are pushy then claim for waste paper, fuser use and any other consumable you can think of.

If it is a compatible cartridge, my advice would be dont ever get one again. It is total false economy in the long run. Before being in a school, I worked for a company that was printing 500,000 pages a month over a huge bank of printers so we did proper trials on all sorts of printers/toners. Everytime the originals worked out more economic despite being sometimes twice the price!!

We also have quite a few HP inkjets, some departments have bought in compatibles for these but the fail rate/life is horrendous. Even buying a batch in at 2 a cart compared to almost 20 for an original still is false economy per page. Don't fall in the trap!!

Thank Post
    Okay, so I phoned them back saying a Euro voucher was unacceptable and was told this was the only method they had, because they do a lot of business in Europe! I was given an email address for Head Office if I wanted to see if they could do anything "special" for me (I nearly hit the roof when they suggested that my desire not to deal in foreign currency required "special" action!).

Head Office replied back within 10 minutes offering me a or Stirling voucher or a replacement toner! Naturally, I accepted the new toner.

I am looking forward to filling out their Customer Satisfaction Survey which they emailed me :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so I phoned them back saying a Euro voucher was unacceptable and was told this was the only method they had, because they do a lot of business in Europe! I was given an email address for Head Office if I wanted to see if they could do anything "special" for me (I nearly hit the roof when they suggested that my desire not to deal in foreign currency required "special" action!).

Head Office replied back within 10 minutes offering me a or Stirling voucher or a replacement toner! Naturally, I accepted the new toner.

I am looking forward to filling out their Customer Satisfaction Survey which they emailed me :-)
    In the words of his holiness, Delboy - He who dares, wins!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread