+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Hardware Thread, Faulty Printer Toner in Technical; Not sure if this should be here or in FFS. We've just had to replace a faulty toner in one ...
  1. #1
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,456
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75

    Faulty Printer Toner

    Not sure if this should be here or in FFS.

    We've just had to replace a faulty toner in one of our printers - the manufacturer has agreed to refund us for the remaining ink which was in it, but they are doing this in the form of a discount voucher from their own (slightly over-priced) web site. Oh yeah, and the voucher only works if I buy in Euro, which will be tricky as we don't have a Euro bank account.

    Should I accept this, or should I tell them "no, give me a cheque for wasted ink so I can buy from my preferred supplier"?

    Thoughts welcome...

  2. #2

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    12,977
    Thank Post
    587
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Rep Power
    398
    I would tell them no you send me a new replacement toner.

    Ben

  3. #3

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    A faulty toner would require a new toner cartridge to be sent out... No quibbles, that be the law.

  4. #4
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,456
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    that be the law.
    Can you cite that anywhere?

  5. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Can you cite that anywhere?
    The law would be the Sale of Goods Act 1979. If an item fails during reasonable use and during a reasonable life time (with most electrical goods this can be said to be 12 months) then the company has a legal responsibility to either repair, replace or refund.

    They are your statutory rights...

    See http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0043-1011.txt

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,669
    Thank Post
    72
    Thanked 249 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    64

  7. #7
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,456
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Okay, so the Sale of Goods Act does permit them to offer a refund rather than a replacement, and also to deduct something from this for the ink which we used before the fault presented.

    We're still left with the twofold issue that a) they're forcing me to buy from them, and b) the refund is in Euro, which doesn't help! I would be able to make them pick up our bank charges for the foreign currency transaction, but that is all seeming like more hassle than it is worth.

    I'm now waiting on a phone call back from Customer Relations...

  8. #8

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,064
    Thank Post
    1,681
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Rep Power
    673
    I'd take it up with whoever sold you the toner. Your contract was with them and they have sold you a faulty item. It is the retailer's responsibility to replace or refund

    It is, therefore, the responsibility of the retailer to refund the price of the toner. The fact that the manufacturer has agreed that it is faulty is simply evidence to present to the retailer.

  9. #9

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Okay, so the Sale of Goods Act does permit them to offer a refund rather than a replacement, and also to deduct something from this for the ink which we used before the fault presented.

    We're still left with the twofold issue that a) they're forcing me to buy from them, and b) the refund is in Euro, which doesn't help! I would be able to make them pick up our bank charges for the foreign currency transaction, but that is all seeming like more hassle than it is worth.

    I'm now waiting on a phone call back from Customer Relations...
    Nope, they can't reduce the refund if you don't agree to it. Both of the parties have to agree to a solution - it isn't just up to one side to demand or offer a solution and the other has to agree to it.

    It is reasonable to demand a full replacement due to the loss of earnings/time having to deal with the product not being fit for purpose.

    Any company who refuses to give a full refund for a faulty toner is a company that should be avoided. It is a poor business practice and doesn't encourage good relations.

  10. #10
    Heebeejeebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Intergalactic Cruise
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank Post
    68
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Any company who refuses to give a full refund for a faulty toner is a company that should be avoided. It is a poor business practice and doesn't encourage good relations.
    The old 'do you want any further orders from us?' line usualy works in these cases - there are plenty of suppliers out there and they won't want to lose your business.

    Any chance of telling us who is it so they can be avoided?

    HBJB

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Are you using original or replacement toner? If it is original you should get at the least a free replacement, bollox to what you have used, should be a free replacement. If you are pushy then claim for waste paper, fuser use and any other consumable you can think of.

    If it is a compatible cartridge, my advice would be dont ever get one again. It is total false economy in the long run. Before being in a school, I worked for a company that was printing 500,000 pages a month over a huge bank of printers so we did proper trials on all sorts of printers/toners. Everytime the originals worked out more economic despite being sometimes twice the price!!

    We also have quite a few HP inkjets, some departments have bought in compatibles for these but the fail rate/life is horrendous. Even buying a batch in at 2 a cart compared to almost 20 for an original still is false economy per page. Don't fall in the trap!!

  12. #12
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,456
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Okay, so I phoned them back saying a Euro voucher was unacceptable and was told this was the only method they had, because they do a lot of business in Europe! I was given an email address for Head Office if I wanted to see if they could do anything "special" for me (I nearly hit the roof when they suggested that my desire not to deal in foreign currency required "special" action!).

    Head Office replied back within 10 minutes offering me a or Stirling voucher or a replacement toner! Naturally, I accepted the new toner.

    I am looking forward to filling out their Customer Satisfaction Survey which they emailed me :-)

  13. #13

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Okay, so I phoned them back saying a Euro voucher was unacceptable and was told this was the only method they had, because they do a lot of business in Europe! I was given an email address for Head Office if I wanted to see if they could do anything "special" for me (I nearly hit the roof when they suggested that my desire not to deal in foreign currency required "special" action!).

    Head Office replied back within 10 minutes offering me a or Stirling voucher or a replacement toner! Naturally, I accepted the new toner.

    I am looking forward to filling out their Customer Satisfaction Survey which they emailed me :-)
    In the words of his holiness, Delboy - He who dares, wins!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Faulty Laptop Screen
    By ChrisH in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th April 2009, 05:10 PM
  2. Wanted Faulty Laptops
    By davepettymcp in forum Hardware
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19th November 2007, 10:45 PM
  3. Using a multimeter to test for faulty PSU
    By Oops_my_bad in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 8th October 2007, 09:38 PM
  4. Faulty hard drives
    By Jobos in forum Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 05:07 PM
  5. C1000 Toner Cartridges
    By faza in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd February 2007, 11:01 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •