+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, ThinkPads + Acessing advanced BIOS options in Technical; Those lovely guys at ICT Direct have donated a few IBM ThinkPad T60s. What I need to do is enable ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Blog Entries

ThinkPads + Acessing advanced BIOS options

Those lovely guys at ICT Direct have donated a few IBM ThinkPad T60s. What I need to do is enable virtualisation in the BIOS. I cannot select this option currently by acessin the BIOS as a normal user. How do I get access to the advanced BIOS options i.e. what keys do I need to press to access the BIOS as an admin?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Those lovely guys at ICT Direct have donated a few IBM ThinkPad T60s. What I need to do is enable virtualisation in the BIOS. I cannot select this option currently by acessin the BIOS as a normal user. How do I get access to the advanced BIOS options i.e. what keys do I need to press to access the BIOS as an admin?
    I have a T61 and i don't think it distinquishes between levels of BIOS user - other than you can protect bios access with a password....I can press F1 then go to config > Cpu....and then enable or disable vmx (intel VT).

Not sure if it's the same on the T60 but i'd imagine that if vmx is disabled and greyed out so you can't change it then vmx toggling has been locked at the factory.....however i have read about people being able to enable vmx on the T60 thru the BIOS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is it also possible that the CPU you have in those T60's doesn't support hardware assisted virtualisation.

Thank Post
    @Geoff: I have four of those and it DOES support virtualisation.

@Torledo: I too went through this with DB but he had all manner of options greyed out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @Geoff: I have four of those and it DOES support virtualisation.

@Torledo: I too went through this with DB but he had all manner of options greyed out.
    That's very strange, i'm not aware of an admin mode or priviledge levels in the T series bios...

Have you contacted ICT direct to ask them if they made any changes to the BIOS setup to setup some kind of priviledged access, that could be the reason for areas being greyed out. Although i highly doubt that's the case

If possible, try updating the BIOS using the BIOS update utility from the lenovo website...may cure any problems and will add new features if available.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    a similar matter,
    our R61e 's have a hidden partition which is unaccessible by normal programs. there's supposed to be an option in the bios which makes the partition visible.
    its not there on these ones. went on the website got the latest bios. the bios on our laptops is newer than the one on the website ?!. did it anyway but the option is still not there.

this partition is used by lenovo to restore factory settings. we've been unable to successfully ghost these laptops so another idea is to replace the contents of the hidden partition which seems to be just a default windows install copied to the active partition on restore, with our own windows install.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread