+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Server Spec req'd in Technical; Kearton, I am not going to even bother continuing to help you, as you are too rude to accept the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kearton, I am not going to even bother continuing to help you, as you are too rude to accept the advice of those who give it to you.

In your message you say you want a teminal server to VPN into? I said a single server would not be suitable. And that you should be looking at 30 connections *per server*. getting grumpy about it won't make it any different. Ie. It is not reasonable, sensible, or useful to try and cram 100 onto one server.

If you feel like you can be professional and apologise for being so rude, then I may answer again, but if not, then I will leave you to it.

2. Thanks to localzuk from:

speckytecky (6th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Kearton,

I understand what you want, however even if you are supporting max. 100 connections, 1 server would not be able to support more than 30, simply because a server cannot support that much load, even on modern specs.

YOU ARE GOING TO NEED MORE THAN ONE SERVER!

Thank Post
    I guess he could like.. run a load of virtual servers

<hides>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    In your message you say you want a teminal server to VPN into?
    Specs for a TS solution capable of 100 concurrent connections.

I said a single server would not be suitable. And that you should be looking at 30 connections *per server*.
    I think we've both suffered from "*I* understand exactly what I mean but when I write it down it's not interpreted quite how I meant it" syndrome...

Right, so it's looking like multiple servers are going to be required here. e.g 4 x 25 connections, or suchlike. I can hear the bursars purse strings tightening from here...

Thanks peeps!

Thank Post
    A bit belated but this is my 2 cents.

We currently have a TS server for staff to access Sims for Lesson Monitor and report writing, both within school and via a VPN from home. We average about 70 concurrent connections and runs smoothly. We have just a SINGLE TS server, a DL140 with 2x2.8Ghz XEON and 8Gb RAM, RAID 1 SATA HDD.

This has been up an running for the past 2 years. We have now encountered a problem with the amount of RAM needed and will be upgrading to 16Gb and 24Gb in the new financial year.

Unless the teachers are going to be doing all their work on the TS, ie word, excel, naff resource hogging educational software then you won't need a TS farm. Providing they are logging on to 'use' sims only a single server will prove adaquate, well it has for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan400007 View Post
    We currently have a TS server for staff to access Sims for Lesson Monitor and report writing, both within school and via a VPN from home. We average about 70 concurrent connections and runs smoothly. We have just a SINGLE TS server, a DL140 with 2x2.8Ghz XEON and 8Gb RAM, RAID 1 SATA HDD.
    So you figure about 1/10 of a core and 120MB of RAM per user? Yay! Sounds like our single-processor, dual-core, 2GB RAM server might be okay after all!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I'd say a good speed dual-core will be ok. The amount of RAM will depend on the number of users. About 120Mb per user is about right, but try and leave some spare. I've found that if a user on sims keeps opening up marksheet after marksheet without closing any they can soon end up taking over gigs worth of RAM!!! Don't see how, it only a spreadsheet really.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure that the Sims.NET client is starting to eat up more and more RAM when loaded.

Oh one last thing, make sure that you remove everything from the startup on the TS. Whats the point of Adobe reader speed launch running if it only there for sims.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dan400007 View Post
    I'd say a good speed dual-core will be ok. The amount of RAM will depend on the number of users. About 120Mb per user is about right, but try and leave some spare. I've found that if a user on sims keeps opening up marksheet after marksheet without closing any they can soon end up taking over gigs worth of RAM!!! Don't see how, it only a spreadsheet really.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure that the Sims.NET client is starting to eat up more and more RAM when loaded.

Oh one last thing, make sure that you remove everything from the startup on the TS. Whats the point of Adobe reader speed launch running if it only there for sims.
    This is actually a memory leak which Capita know about and it seems to affect the assessment manager module quite badly. The advice we were given was to close and re-open sims after a short period (20 minutes or so) as this will sort out the memory usage.

Thank Post
    Interesting thread.
    Im looking at ways to provide Sims.net at home for a small number of staff myself.
    I was considering a VPN Concentrator based solution, but im wondering if TS would be a better option?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    Interesting thread.
    Im looking at ways to provide Sims.net at home for a small number of staff myself.
    I was considering a VPN Concentrator based solution, but im wondering if TS would be a better option?
    The beauty of using a TS is that you then only need to maintain one install of SIMS.net - rather than having clients all over the place.

Thank Post
    The beauty of using a TS is that you then only need to maintain one install of SIMS.net - rather than having clients all over the place.
    Do you know of any good TS write ups anywhere i can browse though?
    Theres still a few question i could do with finding out about it, so rarther than littering this thread further, i'll see what i can find to read. .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12