+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Helppp .....! Can't seem to configure raid on HP Proliant ML370 in Technical; I am having anightmare tryign to get theis server to boot. The raid config has been messed up and needs ...
    Thank Post

Helppp .....! Can't seem to configure raid on HP Proliant ML370

I am having anightmare tryign to get theis server to boot. The raid config has been messed up and needs to be reconfigured. It has 3 72gb drivers in the server. I have the HP SmartCd but i can't get it to the stage where it boots form the cd. I know its a raid config issue becasue if i unlpug the raid card it will boot to cd no problem but the cd complains there is no boot drive detected.

I have tried to reset the SCSI config but obviously wrong....!

I am at a loss as i have never done ths before. When teh server boots the first option is to configure the 'Lights out option' which i know is nothing to do with the raid, then the next option is the SCSI card config. Now, this i were i am lost as i have no raid experience. Can some one hel me with this. Th eoptions in th econfig are to set the ID, then Rreset the SCSi then enable or disable. The server detects two (or is it dual) SCSI channels and gives you options to configure both.

Hope this makes sense???

Thank Post
    You need to get into the RAID or SCSI BIOS on boot. Just watch the screen to know what buttons to press to get into it.

Thank Post
    You need to get into the RAID or SCSI BIOS on boot.
    I can do this but i don't know what to do when i am in here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    so long as you have no data on the drives once you get into the scsi bios area you just want to delete any existing arrays so that the system will boot the smartstart cd properly. you should then be able to configure it using the gui.

Thank Post
    Its not a smart array 532 is it?

Thank Post
    I have no idea, like i said Raid is not my forte

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I have no idea, like i said Raid is not my forte
    How old is the server? I ask because the older compaq raid cards have non replaceable batteries, this causes them to stop being present in the boot sequence and the server hangs before any device can be used to boot the system. When the battery fails the config becomes corrupt in the controllers memory. I had to replace both of my cards at the same time when this happened.

Those two channels you are seeing are probably the onboard adaptec scsi card. The compaq raid one will have red and white text and will be called SmartArray xxxx (532 and 5300 in my case)

Thank Post
    Those two channels you are seeing are probably the onboard adaptec scsi card. The compaq raid one will have red and white text and will be called SmartArray xxxx (532 and 5300 in my case)
    I have not seen any red or wite text at any stage yet. The Adaptec Scsi is where the boot sequence stops.......? It was working fine till i starting messing with the settings on this bit.
    Last edited by Kyle; 17th January 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it's hanging at the SCSI bios boot screen it's likely you have a cable problem. Check your SCSI IDs (if set by switches) are correct, your cables are plugged in correctly and that everything is terminated as it should be.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If it's hanging at the SCSI bios boot screen it's likely you have a cable problem. Check your SCSI IDs (if set by switches) are correct, your cables are plugged in correctly and that everything is terminated as it should be.
    If it's a 532 then it is simply dead, but i'm only guessing from the size of the drives and the server model number. The RAID bios is loaded *after* the scsi bios and if the battery is dead then it will hang after the adaptec 160 scsi bios has loaded. All thats needed to kill it is a power down or a reboot during which time the raid card fails to store its configuration correctly.

This has happened to 3 out of 4 or my 532s on two different servers so far (the original 2 and 1 of the replacements - they are all old)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread