+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile in Technical; Has anyone used/using any of these? We are looking to use them for certain things in our school. Firstly staff ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile

Has anyone used/using any of these? We are looking to use them for certain things in our school. Firstly staff will use them to See how they work out for P.E staff etcetera.

Thank Post
    They're impressive little pieces of kit but my only worry is that staff would have trouble reading the screens; the font is very small indeed. Also, the other big problem with UMPCs in general is "where do I put it?" It's too big for your pocket, too small for a case.

Thank Post
    We trialled one of these but like BIZZEL found it fell between the two stools of laptop and PDA and we couldn't justify the price. We are however looking seriously at the Asus EeePC for those areas where a laptop takes up too much room (labs and workshops)

Thank Post
    Not quite the same as a Q1, we bought an Asus R2H UMPC to evaluate along with a PDA. Initial impressions from all who tried the UMPC were favourable, but the longer people used it the less they liked it. I think the main issue was people wanted to use it like a laptop however it is a poor substitute for a laptop.

Out of the box running XP Pro it performed like a dog. Even when we cut out all of the 'extras' that Asus had pre-loaded it was still very slow to boot & logon. It came with a voucher to upgrade to Vista Business but I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Battery life is poor too, worse than a laptop.

I think UMPC as a technology has yet to prove itself, if it ever does. My understanding is that Microsoft have 'redeployed' the Origami development team responsible for the UMPC software enhancements to Windows.

As everyone lost interest in the R2H here, it spends its days sat on my desk. One of these days I will install Vista on it .......

Personally I think the Asus EeePC looks like a better bet.

Thank Post
    The HTC shift looks promising but for an extra couple of hundred pounds I can get an HP tablet pc with a full keyboard (swivel-screen type), 2gb of ram and a core 2 duo. It's still a small device (12" screen) but it has much more horsepower. I really want to see UMPCs succeed but right now they lack the power.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread