+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Smartboard Alignment in Technical; Has anyone with Smartboards had problems with the board losing its alignment during use? Had a few emails about it, ...
    Thank Post

Question Smartboard Alignment

Has anyone with Smartboards had problems with the board losing its alignment during use? Had a few emails about it, not seen it happening while I've been there (always the way ) but seems a bit odd for it to drop away during the lesson?

Thank Post
    I take it you're talking about the orientation? If so then I've seen this happen before but I don't know what was done to fix it. Have you got the latest drivers installed?

Thank Post
    Think we're on 9.5, one version behind the latest one (9.7), might try the update to see if it helps although I've got to try and replicate the problem first... could be fun

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Has anyone with Smartboards had problems with the board losing its alignment during use? Had a few emails about it, not seen it happening while I've been there (always the way ) but seems a bit odd for it to drop away during the lesson?
    yeah i have but like you never been there when its happened also had the projector go funny to by displaying about 3 feet to left!!! funnily enough its always the same classroom -with the same teacher

Thank Post
    Hardware faults in the board can cause that, as can having the bottom screws too tight; also check that the projector isn't moving - we have one room where the projector isn't snug in the cage so moves a bit whenever the class upstairs move around.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    gonna hi-jack this thread a little.

Someone (i forget who - sorry) said to me at bett that he was advised, when orienting a board, to drag the pen to the centre of the target, not just push down on it.

does anyone else do this?

Thank Post
    I do the above, as did the engineers who set the board up originally.

Thank Post
    Smartboard alignment can be very problematical

the newer 60 series seem better than the old 500 series but just search this forum and you'll find all the different ways they can not align/hold alignment.

IMRE The older boards are

a) all getting worse
    and/or
    b) teachers are reporting the faults more
    and/or
    c) the latest software is causing it

SMARTBoard support(UK) are so so so unhelpful

I'm hoping to get some time (prob this summer!) to try and see if I can narrow i down as to what is happening.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    gonna hi-jack this thread a little.

Someone (i forget who - sorry) said to me at bett that he was advised, when orienting a board, to drag the pen to the centre of the target, not just push down on it.

does anyone else do this?
    Yes I do, and I encourage all our users too as well as it is more accurate than trying to hit the exact centre.

Thank Post
    Doubt it's the projector moving as we don't have an upstairs, all one level building (no carrying upstairs for me )

never heard about dragging the pen, most of the time it's just a case of stabbing the centre with an index finger usually works fine. Seems odd for two boards to be going wrong, one of which isn't that old (about 1.5 years).

Also 2-3 boards seem obsessed with asking for re-alignment on startup even when it hasn't been asked for, to save me time messing around with startup options etc is there a setting somewhere that makes this happen?

Hmmm so reading the above from SimpleSi it seems that it might be out of my hands, I'll check out some of the related links and in the meantime keep firing those suggestions in, we'll get there in the end!

Cheers,

Gerrard
    Last edited by gshaw; 15th January 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    "Also had this when the connection cable is close to electrical cabling. Interference basically."

Innnterresting, anyone found this to be their root problem?

Thank Post
    If you're aligning the boards by "stabbing with a finger" I would suggest you try the drag a pen method, as it is much more accurate - you know that you are hitting the exact centre of the target that way, your method could easily have you a centimetre or so out without realising it.

Try loosening the two screws behind the pen tray which are holding it to the wall - if these are too tight, it can put funny tension on the board and distort it slightly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    "Also had this when the connection cable is close to electrical cabling. Interference basically."

Innnterresting, anyone found this to be their root problem?
    I've not experienced this personally, but I have heard talk of it on this and other forums (fora?). It's certainly more than plausible - the board does have a small current running through it which it is using to identify the location of contacts, so I can see how a nearby power cable or transformer could cause interference.

Thank Post
    Drag a pen as in press and hold down on a point on the screen then drag to the centre of the target and let go?

Doubt this is the cause though as tutors do the same in other rooms with no problems and would prob just knock the accuracy out from the start rather than gradually fading away. Might make it a bit better aligned in the first place though, thanks for the tip

Will check the screws out as they were put up by an external company and could well have something to do with it. Will check those power cable runs out as well...

Thank Post
    Yes, that is how I meant to do it - press, hold, drag, release - but like you say, a misaligned board probably wouldn't get more misaligned over time, it would just remain misaligned.

Is the misalignment equal in all areas of the board, i.e. always 7mm to the left or whatever, or is in worse in some sections than others? If it does vary, is this variation consistent.

If you really wanted to prove/disprove issues of location (i.e. screws and power cables) you could swap two boards around - a bit drastic perhaps, but it could prove probative.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast