+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Promethean Support in Technical; Hi guys, I just wanted to test the waters and ask how you're generally feeling about Promethean and it's support. ...

Thank Post

Promethean Support

Hi guys,

I just wanted to test the waters and ask how you're generally feeling about Promethean and it's support. I know this might seem like shouting in a crowd of sleeping lions but I am genuinely interested.

It seems as if most problems have been fixed lately and I wondered how everyone is doing. Are there any things you would like to see improving or are there any extra services you believe Promethean should provide to help you?

I manage the Knowledgebase for Promethean and help with escalated cases so if there is anything you want Promethean to do differently I may be able to make that happen.

[note: I can't directly resolve specific cases in this thread, they should always go through our support teams, this is more a brainstorm thread to find out how everything is]

/me holds breath and braces for impact

[edit: 100th post FTW!!!]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we once had a dodgy board and the repair man was nice. It got replaced within a couple of weeks which was good. we have a faulty power supply at the moment though and after e-mailing them we have had no reply... which i would say is promethians main weakness... the whole getting round to organising the repair.

Thank Post
    I've the Promethean support very good though you can useally guess that they want to you to install the older v3 driver and reboot the system every other mouse click. Which is a change from a year ago then its was "have you got the latest driver and software patch" and i'm not going to help you until you have.

It would be nice to have the firmware updates for boards avaiable for download, and 3 year warrenty on the power packs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    The original installs were not good (contractors, I believe) but I have always been pleased with the quality of the telephone support - friendly, helpful and knowledgeable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WITCH View Post
    The original installs were not good (contractors, I believe) but I have always been pleased with the quality of the telephone support - friendly, helpful and knowledgeable
    I would say most of our installs have been excellent - again contractors. The only ones I was a little dissapointed with were the ones we had later, which apppeared to be Promethean employees.

Andy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    I've the Promethean support very good though you can useally guess that they want to you to install the older v3 driver and reboot the system every other mouse click. Which is a change from a year ago then its was "have you got the latest driver and software patch" and i'm not going to help you until you have.

It would be nice to have the firmware updates for boards avaiable for download, and 3 year warrenty on the power packs.
    First a thanks for all the good comments, I won't say I was shocked but I did expect to take a little bit of a battering.

Anyway what's everyones thoughts on firmware availability? It does help sometimes, and is available from support, but if it is used wrongly then it can knacker a system. The problem is responsibility when something goes wrong. We've worked hard over the last 3-4 years to make firmware updates easier.

Also I'm very happy with the latest Activdriver 4.1.13, I've personally put a lot of effort in the developement of the driver since v4 and it should now handle a lot of bad USB cabling situations.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I'd love to know what happened to the linux drivers, I asked a couple of years ago and they were 'in progress' so I put my name down to test.
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/showth...n+linux+driver

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a pain to keep track of the updates, both for the software and driver.

Thank Post
    The power adaptors seem to have a habit of dying, and the boards draw a bit to much power from usb to be friendly with other devices (like mice!).

Apart from that they work ok, teachers like the software.

Thank Post
    ok, I'll try and tackle these:

I'd love to know what happened to the linux drivers, I asked a couple of years ago and they were 'in progress' so I put my name down to test.
    I have it installed on a workstation next to me, I've also had an email sent to me asking what resources our support teams will need to support it. I hate saying 'soon' but as you can see, I really think it's soon.

We're pushing a bit more in Spain/Germany and there are an awful lot of Linux based systems there.

It's a pain to keep track of the updates, both for the software and driver.
    In what way? We have the update button on the software dashboard. I'd like to see something similar for drivers (and dare I say it, firmware).

I've heard that we are going to publish a schedule for releases, and those releases will be at larger intervals. There is the downside to that which is it might take longer to fix little things. I'll arrange how we are going to distribute hotfixes.

The power adaptors seem to have a habit of dying, and the boards draw a bit to much power from usb to be friendly with other devices (like mice!).
    I think it's normal that power supplies take a bit of a battering in systems, I've had some experience of that myself at home. We're fixing a lot of USB issues, the latest driver behaves a lot nicer with hubs for example, and I know there is work underway to change the power situation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartC View Post
    In what way? We have the update button on the software dashboard. I'd like to see something similar for drivers (and dare I say it, firmware).

I've heard that we are going to publish a schedule for releases, and those releases will be at larger intervals. There is the downside to that which is it might take longer to fix little things. I'll arrange how we are going to distribute hotfixes.
    Sadly, I am not in front of a machine that has said software installed, thus I do not have an update button.

Ideally I'd like a mailing list I could sign up to that'd tell me when new versions come out (similar to OSS projects 'Announce' lists). But please, no marketing drivel announcements.

As for drivers, is it possible you can talk to Microsoft about having them put on windows update and/or pushed down via WSUS? HP/Dell/etc seem to do this, which makes my life easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sadly, I am not in front of a machine that has said software installed, thus I do not have an update button.

Ideally I'd like a mailing list I could sign up to that'd tell me when new versions come out (similar to OSS projects 'Announce' lists). But please, no marketing drivel announcements.

As for drivers, is it possible you can talk to Microsoft about having them put on windows update and/or pushed down via WSUS? HP/Dell/etc seem to do this, which makes my life easier.
    aha (and I only noticed this myself a few weeks back) but the driver is already on windows update.

That's a good idea about the newsletter. And if I'm responsible it would just be facts and no marketing(bs). I'll get that done.

Thank Post
    We had issues with the powerpacks on the +2 boards we had 9 fail in the first week of installation. Obvioussly this must have been a bad batch and were swapped out relatively quick.

Firmware updates are painless and very simple - i've not had one fail on my yet...

The one comment i would say with the +2 boards is that it is easily knocked out of alightment as if the keystone is wrong on the projector. We haven't really had much luck with engineers fixing this issue when they have been out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Support engineer I had recently was very nice, helpful, polite and cheerful just what I like in an engineer, someone that will have a chat with you whilst working, so happy with that.

Firmware more readily avalable would be nice yeh, I have a CD from Promethean from about a year ago and having that and upgrading most of our boards using that disk fixed a lot of issues we had that were niggly that you never bother logging as you didn't have an hour to spare to test, upgrade drivers, check cables etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I am not sure where to start. Our promethean install has been pretty much hell.
    We bought 25 boards and we have problems all the time to the point now where I think teachers simply have given up.
    We have logged several calls but have never been called back except once, when the board was decreed to have had a hardware fault and a promethean guy did replace that board. We had a few emails a while ago but they all said the same thing of “just get the latest driver” and it never cures our issues.
    Our boards drop off all the time (we are using serial) so they are unresponsive and the only cure is a pc reboot. We have called tech support and we tried getting our account manager involved and that made no difference. We feel very much like we have paid the bill to be dropped from support all together.
    We have had issues deploying both the network MSI and the version 4 driver. We gave up using the network MSI as I had created my own msi (search the forums for a guide) based on the downloadable copy on your site. As for the driver we have to manually deploy that everywhere now and regardless of what version we use our boards still drop off.
    We had older Prometheans that were not primary based ones and they work with exactly the same spec of pc and exactly the same software and never drop off. It very much seems like the new batch of boards are the problem but as the tech support dont bother to ever call us back we have given up.
    Its a lot of money down the drain at this point and I personally have wasted so much of my time dealing with teachers that dont understand we can do nothing to fix the issue let alone all the time spent debugging and trying to get a response out of tech support. The only factor that seems to make a difference is the age/type of board we have.
    I even went to the trouble of writing a guide on how we deploy software here so tech support could try and replicate the issues but we never heard again (and I have chased this up far too many times now).
    We are truly disheartened here now and are seriously considering switching to a complete smartboard solution as support is something we must have.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast