+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, 64 bit processor in Technical; Can i just buy an athlon 64 bit processor and shove it in my old server or is it not ...
    Thank Post

64 bit processor

Can i just buy an athlon 64 bit processor and shove it in my old server or is it not that simple?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkwellstu View Post
    Can i just buy an athlon 64 bit processor and shove it in my old server or is it not that simple?
    yes, feed it in through the hole in the floppy drive.

really, this question requires a bit more information - like the specification of the server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In particular, the motherboard.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkwellstu View Post
    No. You will need a compatible motherboard, and that motherboard will need compatible RAM - your old motherboard is unlikely to be suitable. You'll probably want a Socket 754 or Socket 939 compatible motherboard - your best bet is probably to simply buy a processor / motherboard / RAM bundle (eBay is good for that kind of thing).

Unless your existing server is an odd shape, a new motherboard will probably be able to fit in the old case. You'll probably find the power supply fits, too, as will the rest of the components (if you have IDE harddisks you might want to check that a new motherboard has enough IDE connections for you, you can get extension cards for around 10 if not).

Are you expecting to be able to keep your installed OS on your existing harddrives? That might not work either (depends).

You might well be better off buying a nice shiny new server and using the old one for something else.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    My advice from the question you asked is that you go with what dhicks said, and get a nice new shiny server and use the old one for something else.

Id suggest if your new to hardware and the idea of installing new processors + RAM etc, id start with a lowly desktop which wont cause problems with anyone or anything if you blow it up

also like david said your server would most likely not take a newer athlon 64, and my guess is if its a good AMD server it would have opterons in anyway.

finding the correct processor for your motherboard can be tricky, but at least its not as bad as finding RAM that works on a TYAN motherboard :|

Thank Post
    thank you fellow geeks. not as simple as i had hoped. i'm not even sure what the old box has in it at present as its a legassy left over from my predecessor.

i have found exchange 2k7 in amongst the system softwarer which obviously needs 64bit but i dont have any 64bit machines.

never mind i'll just have to resource a 64bit desktop from somewhere if all else fails.

Stu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread