+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Staff laptops? in Technical; It's funny because I lived Lenovo but the support when really down hill (although the products - laptops at least ...
    XiJ

Thank Post
    It's funny because I lived Lenovo but the support when really down hill (although the products - laptops at least - we're still decent)

We find HP support terrible

I guess everyone has their own story!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XiJ View Post
    I guess everyone has their own story!
    Think you've hit the nail on the head there

We've had big issues with Lenovo's hardware and support so avoiding them now.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Cookeh View Post
    How do you deal with Apple support?
    Apple might not do the on-site thing and that might well be a deal-breaker in some cases but in terms of sticking to what they say they will deliver and having a generally reliable product in the first place, I've had nothing but good experiences with Apple support as both a personal and business customer, and very good experiences with Toucan, who are our apple reseller of choice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We had the same argument from Dell regarding a stock of Latitude's we had at my last school. Nearly every single one developed the same fault, and it was obviously a design flaw but they stopped repairing them saying it was our fault.

So, I only buy brands that I trust now, which limits me down to HP and Lenovo! Mostly HP at that. Support wise, and build quality wise, they've been flawless for the better part of a decade. Only their business quality laptops though. Wouldn't touch the consumer grade ones with a barge pole.
    Me too. We purchased about 10x Dell 13z laptops and on everyone of them, the battery would move a fraction of a millimetre, cutting the power. Dell support said that it was our fault.

@Blue_Cookeh, you mention TPM module. If this is a requirement, the cheapest laptop we've found with a TPM module is from Stone. Their support is excellent too, call them today and tomorrow you'll have an engineer onsite to fix.

Meldrew

5. Thanks to Meldrew from:

StoneComputers (11th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi,

What do you guys get for your staff laptops?

Out of my recent Dell orders I've now had 3 arrive faulty... x1 physical with a broken hinge (and thus eventually bezel), x1 bricked after enabling the TPM and x1 faulty TPM that I couldn't take ownership of, reset, enable/disable etc. I'll be returning all the Dells I've ordered for this summer because of these.

I'm getting a bit fed up of them to say the least and am looking for alternatives around the £400 - £500 mark ex VAT.

Thanks!
    Hi @Blue_Cookeh,

Colin here from VeryPC. We'd be delighted to offer you an alternative to your Dells, and for the best Clevo system build on the market, look no further. For more information, pricing, and perhaps a sale or return evaluation unit to help you decide, please don't hesitate to get in touch when you're ready. I'm on colin@very-pc.co.uk and would be very happy to help you.

Cheers,
    Col
    Last edited by VeryPC_Colin_M; 4th August 2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: forgot to include poster

7. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

plexer (4th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Like Lenovo but not a fan of the warranties? No problem, I've got refurbished Thinkpad T410's, T420's and X220T they come with 12 months rtb warranty as standard with the option to upgrade for a second year. We always make sure you're up and running befefore collecting any laptops from you. Even if it means we send the replacement in advance. Plus you get to talk to me!

Drop me a pm/line for pricing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    Hi @Blue_Cookeh,

Colin here from VeryPC. We'd be delighted to offer you an alternative to your Dells, and for the best Clevo system build on the market, look no further. For more information, pricing, and perhaps a sale or return evaluation unit to help you decide, please don't hesitate to get in touch when you're ready. I'm on colin@very-pc.co.uk and would be very happy to help you.

Cheers,
    Col
    Will be in touch shortly

Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Like Lenovo but not a fan of the warranties? No problem, I've got refurbished Thinkpad T410's, T420's and X220T they come with 12 months rtb warranty as standard with the option to upgrade for a second year. We always make sure you're up and running befefore collecting any laptops from you. Even if it means we send the replacement in advance. Plus you get to talk to me!

Drop me a pm/line for pricing.
    You're tempting also! I use a T420 for my primary (non-edu) job!

Thanks guys

10. 2 Thanks to Blue_Cookeh:

ICTDirect_Dave (5th August 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (4th August 2014)

Thank Post
    In my experience, (ex Network Manager) it always came down to the price of the units. A £300 laptop from anyone was always less reliable than than the £600 laptop in the brand. We used a mixture of Tosh Sat Pro's, Lenovos (e520's) and Dell Vostro's at the time. They all developed various faults over time.

I did manage to by a T-Series Lenovo and Dell Latitude for some members of the school and to my knowledge they are still going strong now (4 years on).

I can't speak personally about VeryPC or Stone, but I have heard very good things about both their products and support.

Thank Post
    Don't get me wrong, laptops always show the price difference... I wouldn't touch the consumer grade laptops Dell sell, but up until now I always thought the Latitude line was pretty reliable.

The problems we had have been with the Latitude 3330, if anyone wants to know.

13. Thanks to Blue_Cookeh from:

pirran (8th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're tempting also! I use a T420 for my primary (non-edu) job!
    Then you already know how awesome they are!

Also have a batch of the Tablet X220's landing this week. (i5 2.5GHz, 4/8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Touch screen) All for less than £300!

Thank Post
    Satellite Pros in bulk here. The quality dipped a bit I thought when we brought in sets of C600-1LRs and 2KKs, but I like the newer C50-A-1E2s a lot. We've bought quite a few of the 1MX variety as well; the price is top drawer and means we can bang 120GB SSDs into them and still have change from £350.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    Me too. We purchased about 10x Dell 13z laptops and on everyone of them, the battery would move a fraction of a millimetre, cutting the power. Dell support said that it was our fault.

@Blue_Cookeh, you mention TPM module. If this is a requirement, the cheapest laptop we've found with a TPM module is from Stone. Their support is excellent too, call them today and tomorrow you'll have an engineer onsite to fix.

Meldrew
    Thanks @Meldrew!
    @Blue_Cookeh We supply both our own range of laptops as well as sourcing from manufacturers including Toshiba, Acer and Lenovo. We'll happily discuss your requirements with you and recommend devices to suit.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch with one of our account managers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think many educational suppliers would do well to start offering a bare minimum of 3 year warranties to comply with typical procurement requirements and standards. A good warranty (backed up with good service if unfortunate enough to require it!) is one of the biggest selling points for many schools these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Out of my recent Dell orders I've now had 3 arrive faulty... x1 physical with a broken hinge (and thus eventually bezel)
    We had ten Latitude 3330s with that problem (out of a total of fifteen). We certainly won't be buying any more of them!

Thank Post
    after reading this, our 100 new staff laptops look to be going to whoever is giving the best freebies out at BETT next year (except for Toshiba who I wouldn't use again if they gave me a unicorn and xbox).

20. Thanks to robjduk from:

SYNACK (12th August 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast