+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, SANs in Technical; Ill keep this simple, I was wondering if anyone has heard or used a DotHill SAN before? If so what ...
    Thank Post

SANs

Ill keep this simple, I was wondering if anyone has heard or used a DotHill SAN before? If so what are they like?

Thank Post
    Never used them but a reseller I was talking too said they were good. Big in the US more than the UK.

It wasn't just a sales pitch as I was already committed to buying a Dell SAN after initially considering EMC.

3. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

timbo343 (10th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I know two schools that use them and they have no complaints about them , unless you have feature you require most SANs just work and do there job well

5. Thanks to xenonive from:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. Anyone else used them? @Xenonvie are you able to share those schools and arw they on here? Do you know what kinda drives they have in them? 7.2k, 10k or 15k?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Any particular reason you are looking at a DotHill SAN? Is someone pitching one to you at the moment? Not that there is something wrong with them, but just wondering since you don't seem to have the specs for them or know much about them.

If you provide your requirements and budget for a new SAN (if that is indeed why you are enquiring about it), then many of us here can give you some of advice based on our experience.

Thank Post
    I've sent you pm with contact details as the schools are not on here. I believe they have 15K drives in currently and looking to add SSD drives in the future.

9. Thanks to xenonive from:

Thank Post
    Just to say - make sure you check out Nimble (Flash Storage Solutions | Nimble Storage) - we have a CS240 here and it's fantastic!

11. Thanks to jamesrhart from:

Thank Post
    I think HP SANs were pretty much re-badged DotHill a few years back. We never had a problem with ours, but I understand from our supplier that their support can be less than helpful at times.

13. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

Thank Post
    I cant say too much but budgets come into it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heard of them a few years back when we were looking into SANs, so they've been around a while, and I was told at the time (albeit by the reseller) that they are often rebadged by bigger brands, as @Gibson335 says.

No experience of them though - we went with a fibre SAN instead of that iSCSI SAN, as 10GbE was still extortionate at the time. I'd go 10GbE iSCSI now, though...

Thank Post
    Just to bring this back to life, what are peoples thoughts on the Dell VRTX boxes? Would you stay with the traditional setup, keeping Hosts and SANs seperate?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Dell VRTX is an interesting system. Quite innovative and possibly quite cost-effective as well as sporting very good performance. It does introduce a single point of failure, but it also reduces the complexity of configuring hosts, SAN, and SAN network. That could reduce costs quite a bit for schools or businesses without the in-house expertise to do that.

I'm talking theory here rather than practice; though, as I haven't tried out a VRTX (yet) and I don't personally know anyone who has. So, if you do consider going that route you will want to get some references to speak to those who are using one and hear it from the horses mouth.

18. Thanks to seawolf from:

Thank Post
    OK another question...

12x 1tb discs at 7.2k or 12x 600Gb discs at 10K.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Just to bring this back to life, what are peoples thoughts on the Dell VRTX boxes? Would you stay with the traditional setup, keeping Hosts and SANs seperate?
    We just confirmed our order for Visualization last week, to go ahead in the summer using a Dell VRTX. We were VERY impressed when we saw a demo of it, although I was very disappointed we weren't able to progress the order with the supplier who actually went out of their way to give us a demo, however it was pretty much sold to us once we saw it in operation. We went with 2x M520 blades and 12x 900GB HDDs (so basically half the chassis capacity).

Obviously can't comment on the VRTX usability itself as it's still on order although the single point of failure internally has been addressed by Dell (unless of course you consider the chassis itself to be a single point of failure.. i.e. a fire!, as opposed to having the physical hosts and SAN in actually different locations). Not really an issue though with a decent backup solution in place, although perhaps maybe a little inconvenient if there was an actual fire and the whole lot was destroyed! We did say though that we'd have a lot more worries to concern ourselves with if there was a fire (and the backups would be on the other side of the school anyway).

I would really suggest anyone to at least consider the VRTX, but ideally try and see it in operation. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, nor will it be suitable for all setups, but for us it certainly was (and the 40% cost difference vs a traditional 2x physical host, separate SAN helped)!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    We just confirmed our order for Visualization last week, to go ahead in the summer using a Dell VRTX. We were VERY impressed when we saw a demo of it, although I was very disappointed we weren't able to progress the order with the supplier who actually went out of their way to give us a demo, however it was pretty much sold to us once we saw it in operation. We went with 2x M520 blades and 12x 900GB HDDs (so basically half the chassis capacity).

Obviously can't comment on the VRTX usability itself as it's still on order although the single point of failure internally has been addressed by Dell (unless of course you consider the chassis itself to be a single point of failure.. i.e. a fire!, as opposed to having the physical hosts and SAN in actually different locations). Not really an issue though with a decent backup solution in place, although perhaps maybe a little inconvenient if there was an actual fire and the whole lot was destroyed! We did say though that we'd have a lot more worries to concern ourselves with if there was a fire (and the backups would be on the other side of the school anyway).

I would really suggest anyone to at least consider the VRTX, but ideally try and see it in operation. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, nor will it be suitable for all setups, but for us it certainly was (and the 40% cost difference vs a traditional 2x physical host, separate SAN helped)!
    Whats the specs of the M520 blades? What at the rpm of the discs?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast