+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Customer asking for complicated setup - Tablets, Projecting, Printing and File Shares in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreelanceX View Post
    I have no idea how to print or access shares from Android
    As @MordyT mentioned, accessing Windows shares on Android is very easy. Just download an app such as FX File Explorer or Solid Explorer and add the share.

If the school doesn't have any printers that support Google Cloud Print, either share the printer(s) through Chrome or buy a Lantronix xPrintServer CPE for £96.51 + VAT. Lantronix also make a similar device that adds AirPrint support to non-AirPrint enabled printers for iOS devices by the way.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Speaking from experience, you're best tackling this head on and requesting more expenditure. I've just recently put together a quote for an edu client for x10 iPad minis + cases, which came to the grand total of 2.4k. So straight away, we know they can't possibly have the level of hardware they want within their budget.
    You need to open up communication with the client and explain the predicament, as well as price up comparative quotes for ios/ osx hardware as well windows hardware... Simples?!
    Last edited by Mr_Jiminy; 3rd July 2014 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As daft as the idea is, even dafter is trying to combat it going around the houses with android or IOS devices. You might save money on android but will spend it all on various cobbled together solutions. You won't save anything on an IOS device and you'll spend FAR more on the relevant apps, 3rd party ideas and addon technology to make it all work. So if they are insistant on going down this route it will be fully blown windows tablets or nothing. No less than 64GB onboard storage or you'll really struggle. Make sure they will take a version of windows that is domain joinable. That way you don't have to use any unreliable/crap methods of connecting to file shares, daft printer technologies or just have anything utterly diabolical like iTunes and/or Bonjour anywhere near your network. That just leaves projecting. Plenty of streaming devices around these days (chromecast type things) that'll tick the boxes, wireless projectors and what-not.
    In my eyes that is the only sensible solution, making the best of what really isn't a well thought out strategy by the school in the question.

4. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

SYNACK (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The education license is designed for use by teachers, students and schools. You will need to provide an educational email address in order to purchase an education license. Each education license has a base price of $11.99 USD and is valid for one computer activation.
    Just re-reading that, does anyone know if that means that every time I reimage a machine it now uses a license activation? At this rate, any time we reimage a machine we're going to have to contact half a dozen companies to get their software to re-activate.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Ill comment back with a few things soon, busy at another site at the moment. But you have given me some good options and ideas so I can get some ideas off the ground. After speaking to my boss and other techies, we all agree £2000 is laughable. We all decided without prior discussion, we need to quadruple that budget.

From some research and what some of you on here have said, it looks like there is enough stuff out there to make it work on android or apple devices, but this is a small primary and they have 4 hours of it support a week. I dont want to be putting in a solution which requires 7 or 8 different parts to make it all work.

They have enterprise HP Managed wireless, so that parts sorted FYI.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you were using airserver, they would have to keep the desktops wouldn't they?

Thank Post
    To clarify, yes they will be keeping the PCs, for SIMS, possible AirServer etc. But the tablets would see massive use each lesson.

Thank Post
    We use this to make all our networked Ricoh printers be seen by the iPads Enable iOS AirPrint Support on Windows

Apple TVs to project from the iPads/Macs

Windows file shares we normally just get them to remote to Terminal box, but as has been said you could you WebDev, so the iPads have been designed for what you want, Printing, Fileshares and Projecting.

Thank Post
    Errrm for 2k you want to buy enough tablets that will almost replace all desktops.... Good luck my sir you're brave I'll be amazed if you can buy more than 5 tablets with that kind of money, then you have to weigh up the costs for getting things working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Just re-reading that, does anyone know if that means that every time I reimage a machine it now uses a license activation? At this rate, any time we reimage a machine we're going to have to contact half a dozen companies to get their software to re-activate.
    Based on the screenshot that @jamesfed posted on his blog, it looks like you can easily deactivate computers through the AirServer website if needed.

Deploying AirServer 1.9.6 via SCCM « My World of IT

Last edited by Arthur; 3rd July 2014 at 01:48 PM.

12. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Why not look at learnpads? do a search on these forums and you will see how good they are. They can be completely locked down, deploy apps, connect to server shares and remotely viewed on other devices so the teacher can pick a screen to cast, oh and they are about £200 each.

Other than that windows tablets would do you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With four hours a week don't touch the iPads unless they are full one to one and you have people pre-damaged by their implementation previously, they are a nightmare, just read any forum threads on here about them, take forever to get right and can be flaky.

Learnpads would be the way to go with Android as they are easily managed and can do a bunch of the stuff without to many nightmares.

Windows tablets will be the best for this kind of setup but budget and politics may prevent you from implementing them.

Thank Post
    Turns out I have sorted the printing issue from iPads with this guide:

How to enable AirPrint for Windows

Just followed it and immediately I am able to print to all the printers on my network. Better yet, you need to authenticate before you can print. :-)

So if they wish to go iPads (and cant convince otherwise) I got one hurdle sorted.
    Last edited by FreelanceX; 3rd July 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi guys, so me and my boss put together a proposal to the school. Its coming in way over £2000 as you would expect.

The schools final aim is to get to 60 ipads. This will obviously be done in stages. This is what we have put together and put forward to the school. They want iPads and there is nothing changing their mind, so its all based around that.

60 x ipads and cases

Macbook Pro / Mac mini server

2 x 32 management trollies

Windows Intune rollout

Office Pro Plus Edu Academic licence

Microsoft A3 Plan - Office 365

That comes to give or take £19000 with some of that being monthly/yearly for licences.

With Office 365 we are thinking of turning peoples homedrives to OneDrive for Business, for a hybrid solution of onsite and cloud; and turning all other shared areas into sharepoints which will be mapped as drives.

Thats the short version.

Sorted out ipad printing with this here:

How to enable AirPrint for Windows

Works a dream actually if none of you have tried it.

This will be a trial school for this project. If it works well, we have a few other schools who are interested. If anyone is interested in this, I will probably make a project page about it.

Thanks to all you gave ideas. I considered all, but with what the school want etc, this looks to be the best option.

Unfortunately no Surface Pro 3s for me to play with. :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12