+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Hardware Thread, Primary School 3D printer in Technical; Re the Hairspray.. I'm sure any old hairspray wont work.. it has to contain a certain ingredients... look for Vinyl ...
    RTi

Thank Post
    Re the Hairspray.. I'm sure any old hairspray wont work.. it has to contain a certain ingredients... look for Vinyl or Colopymers on the can..
    Last edited by RTi; 21st July 2014 at 12:21 PM.

2. Thanks to RTi from:

SimpleSi (21st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Cheapest stuff or mega hold is normally best you don't want anything with fragrance, silicone or oils in it.

Ben

4. Thanks to plexer from:

SimpleSi (21st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts

Thank Post
    Well I've found the equivalent of Edugeek in the Makerbot world
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ot/qMGz6LpXciE

At the moment, I'm trying techniques of

1 Living with raft situation

2 Taking sides off and leaving door open

2. Adding a small object in the near left corner so that any balls of plastic don't much up main model

Thank Post
    SimpleSi I can see that you are receiving a lot of good advise on the forum which is great. Have you tried slowing down the speed of the first layer? as for the raft issue are you attempting to print the Cube still or another piece. Whilst the machine is a plug and play often here are a number of factor that stop it working effectively as you are discovering. The MakerBot 2 which uses PLA is set at a temp of 20 and we are getting good results out of this using the blue tape and (no hairspray).We have had to slow the speed of the first few layers down on some prints, tends to be ones with circular bases as the Extruder does drag the filament around if it is going too fast. We have also changed the FeedBack Rate. Is the machine extruding ok if you print different models, it may be that you have a faulty Head, we have experienced this. in the past where it sing loaded extruder was leaving blobs and string effect on the pint.

Thank Post
    OK - its seems the raft issue is the same worldwide.

Rafts stick (in various degrees) to models.

Printing raftless on the Makerbot Mini MIGHT be possible but its not a realistic option in the classroom

The raft sticking is a major problem for printing flat box type things (such as a Raspberry Pi case ) but not as big an issue on a vertical model (chess piece type) and I think the pupils are going to be designing more of the latter than the former so we should be OK with that

The remaining issue is that plastic dribbles from the extruder and Mr Makerbot has not programmed their start sequence well enough to try and make sure that this dribble doesn't turn into a little ball and gets left on the raft causing big trouble when it hardens and the printhead runs back over it !

Now I'm not too sure why Mr Makerbot hasn't done this

My current workaround is to place another small model in the near left corner, away from the actual mode required, so that any dribble/ball is left there and hope that it doesn't interfere with the main model

Hopefully, when I get time, I'll video how it goes wrong and send it off the Makerbot and get them to just automatically do a little dance to shake it off

Simon
    PS It was very interesting goign to Manchester MakerFaire and talking to both 3D printing Maker types and 3D printer sales/user types

The Makers all said that no 3D printer works all the time and the others were all very upbeat on the operation of their own particaular model and its abilities

One particular stand were telling me how their printer was wonderfull and once calibrated it was "perfect" - I came back later to find they'd printed something flat and that the raft has stuck to it
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 28th July 2014 at 09:26 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345