+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Laptop experience in Technical; Agree with witch. After supporting staff laptops across 3 sites most faults are fixed with a reimage Also if you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Agree with witch. After supporting staff laptops across 3 sites most faults are fixed with a reimage Also if you manage to get a rolling replacement going its helps reduce the burn.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We have laptops- the argument being that the teacher must have a computer and may not have their own. Also, if they use their home computer they may put sensitive data on it.
    I buy ICT Directs stonking Lenovo i5 T410s. Reliable, affordable, built like bricks and last forever
    I have pointed out that remote access and fixed desktops might be a better idea but...
    Do you encrypt all their laptops?

Thank Post
    We used to use TPM but don't anymore because the laptops I wanted didn't have it in them. We ensure our staff policy says no personal details to be held on the laptops instead. Saying that, TPM will be something I will be looking to reintroduce in the next batch.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Nope
    No encryption here

Thank Post

Laptop experience

We have laptops- the argument being that the teacher must have a computer and may not have their own. Also, if they use their home computer they may put sensitive data on it.
    I buy ICT Directs stonking Lenovo i5 T410s. Reliable, affordable, built like bricks and last forever
    I have pointed out that remote access and fixed desktops might be a better idea but...
    Nope
    No encryption here
    So they could quite easily put sensitive data on their school laptops and it be no more secure than if it was on their home computer really?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 16th June 2014 at 07:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    So they could quite easily put sensitive data on their school laptops and it be no more secure than if it was on their home computer really?
    Welcome to Primary Education.

7. 2 Thanks to X-13:

Joanne (17th June 2014), witch (16th June 2014)

Thank Post
    If they don't have TPM they can still be encrypted using a USB stick.
    How To Use BitLocker on Drives without TPM

Thank Post
    This is what we've in mind - but also using the corresponding docks so everything in each room remains connected and all teachers have to do is suspend & undock followed by dock & restore. The theory seems to have worked well in limited trials, but very limited!

As someone asked later, we are also planning to used Windows Enterprise's Bitlocker full drive encryption for security, and try to get Microsoft Direct Access running.

If we go ahead with this, it's going to be a busy summer. Thanks for the input so far, everyone; the negative and the positive!

Thank Post
    Also other non-technical tips that have helped us along the way :

Label the chargers with the laptop computer name. Yes, some staff will accidentally swap them with colleagues, but most will keep hold of their own and when they leave them lying around the owner will be easier to trace. Also if you have several different model's of laptops (we do now, as the fleet has got bigger) you'll know what model the charger belongs to.

Obviously get some spare chargers to loan out and a few spare laptops as well and then keep a log of who has borrowed what. Quite often the chargers won't make their way back, so you'll have to chase them. If someone keeps doing this over a course of time you'll have a recorded history that you can past up to SLT and say "this person is losing chargers and costing us money"

Help guide. Put some sort of help guide on their desktop. Keep it short and concise (although they probably won't read it anyway) and make it read only. Then when you hand them out you don't have to blurt out random things out that you remember at the time. Just say sign this form and remember to read the help guide. (They won't, but you can throw it back at them later)

Software. I had to install various software for different departments on the same image. To simplify it, I put a "teachers software" folder on their desktop and this contained everything they needed (shortcuts etc.) and then make it read only. They can then drag their favourite icons on to the desktop if they wish.

Also make sure you have extra spare laptops at this time of year. If anywhere else is like this place, you'll find new staff want to start before the old staff have left, leaving you with a shortfall of laptops :-p and the ones on maternity also won't give up their laptops so that could be another reason for a shortfall.

11. Thanks to Zourous from:

BlackTie (19th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zourous View Post
    Label the chargers with the laptop computer name. Yes, some staff will accidentally swap them with colleagues, but most will keep hold of their own and when they leave them lying around the owner will be easier to trace. Also if you have several different model's of laptops (we do now, as the fleet has got bigger) you'll know what model the charger belongs to.
    I completely forgot to do that when I was labelling up our laptops... I have never regretted anything more.[Citation needed]

13. Thanks to X-13 from:

Zourous (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we've had teacher laptops for years. there will always be:

certain teachers whose laptop always seems to fall apart
    teachers that put (all) files on their desktop instead of their userarea
    teachers that used their laptop with their personal digital camera and the pics somehow got in their userarea. GBs of them.
    Same as above but with itunes
    teachers that let their kids use their laptop and its full of games/junk
    teachers who left their charge at home / lost it.
    spyware/dodgy browser toolbars

I'd start off with the policy they replace their own charger if they loose it. I dread to think how much we've spent on those...

but let them install their own software.
    Last edited by browolf; 17th June 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    but let them install their own software.
    Make me.

This is how we ended up with a laptop containing 20 different pieces of "anti-virus" software.

I'm not putting the network [and by extension THEIR PLANNING AND THE PUPIL'S WORK] at risk because they can't listen to what we say.

16. Thanks to X-13 from:

Zourous (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have docking stations here and everything seems fine. I personally don't like them, but they work. Here are some Pro's and Con's:
    PRO: Teachers can use their own laptop in each room.
    CON: Supply staff have not this facility.
    PRO: docking stations have their own power cable, so staff don't need to remember chargers.
    CON: I've come to buy more spare 'dockable' laptops now (couple of years later) and they don't make any to fit the dock any more.

So a couple of pointers... buy a good few spare docks and laptops, because before you know it, they will be end of life and you will need new everything!

We have Toshiba's here and they seem sturdy and well built. The laptops are i5 Tecras, more business PC, but then you need something good that'll last.

18. Thanks to Joanne from:

BlackTie (19th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zourous View Post
    Also other non-technical tips that have helped us along the way :

Obviously get some spare chargers to loan out and a few spare laptops as well and then keep a log of who has borrowed what. Quite often the chargers won't make their way back, so you'll have to chase them. If someone keeps doing this over a course of time you'll have a recorded history that you can past up to SLT and say "this person is losing chargers and costing us money"
    Top Tip! Had most of the others in mind but wouldn't have thought of that one - thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    So a couple of pointers... buy a good few spare docks and laptops, because before you know it, they will be end of life and you will need new everything!
    Good plan - I have it in mind to start with about 10% surplus capacity of both - to guard against breakages, forgetfulness, shredded installations and hopefully for supply teachers as and when. Hopefully we'll maintain overstock for the first year or so, then let it dwindle as they approach EOL...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast