+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, AIO Pcs - opinions? in Technical; Originally Posted by fiza Can you reseat memory? Can you replace hard drives? Depends on the AIO, but with our ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Can you reseat memory? Can you replace hard drives?
    Depends on the AIO, but with our OptiPlex 3011s that's easy to do.

Check out page 9 onwards of this PDF.

Edit. We have SSDs in our AIOs so they should be more reliable than HDDs. We haven't had any fail yet.
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th June 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I was also considering AIOs but my only concern would be the inability to diagnose/solve any faults. Can you reseat memory? Can you replace hard drives? Does everything need to be referred back to the manufacturer?
    I used to think the same but over the last couple of years I've moved more towards AiO designs. Honestly can't remember the last time we had to do any of that stuff, that and we've moved to buying 3yr warrantys so it's back to manufacturer anyway.

Very PC do a good range that's a halfway house between USFF and traditonal AiO. Their Flex PC's usa USFF chasis, so you can still get to all the hardware stuff easily if needed, but also have a neat monitor mount that efectively turns them into AiO machines. Good compromise.

3. 2 Thanks to tmcd35:

fiza (11th June 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Plus one for the stone aios here, got over 150 of them in my ict rooms. 4 yr onsite warranty too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Plus one for the stone aios here, got over 150 of them in my ict rooms. 4 yr onsite warranty too
    Is that the ones with the Unistands or the touch enabled AIOs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got the cable management / height adjust stands, and some just mounted on arms (in our office). Looking at a few touch ones for the primary and as kiosks

Thank Post
    One of my schools have an IT suite full of RM Ones from 2013, and there have been 2 problems, both of them warranty fixes next day. Only downside is, when they get moved around a lot, even with the cable lock on, power can be pulled out and its a bit of a hassle to get into them to put them back in. The school like the smaller footprint, that they can put the keyboard and mouse on top of the machine, and that they are adjustable too. They are now looking at replacing some of their older machines with AIOs too, albeit looking more likely to be the Lenovo ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've been using AIO machines for the last 6 years. We've had 70 or so Viglen machines, now mostly retired, and about 80 HP AIOs as well. They've served us well, and will continue to be our form factor of choice I reckon, as they take up less desk space and stay a lot tidier overall.

Thank Post
    I've just ordered 4 VeryPC AIO Panels.
    I'm going to wall mount them in our Early Years classrooms so they can be kept out of reach of sticky little fingers, but moved into a useable position by the teacher when required. We had a demo unit from @VeryPC_Colin_M to test out how well this would work as a solution and all the staff loved it.

I was a little sceptical at first having worked years ago with AIOs from the likes of Packard Bell and Dell, which is why I got a unit it to have a look at. But this unit is great. You can get the back off easily enough for cleaning and potentially upgrading later, but if you get the spec right they should last long enough for you not to have to worry about upgrades for quite a while.

Based on my experience with this one, if I had the budget, I'd replace the whole ICT Suite with AIOs!

Get one in to try it out - stick it in the staff room for a few days and they will let you know what they think.

10. Thanks to hallb15 from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the shout outs for VeryPC kit. We've run out of stocks several times on our AIOs as they've proven popular with no slow down in demand. They're easily serviceable, attractive, neat and tidy and add a bit of wow factor. We've even been having stickers and badges made up with end user branding for clients. Go AIO!

Thank Post
    We recently ordered approx 32 of the Glide Touch from @VeryPC_Colin_M (with a few more to go).

Fantastic bit of kit in my opinion.
    They look smart and are fast, quiet and plenty powerful for school. We have an ICT suite of them and various dotted around the school, and everybody loves them. Kids went nuts when they saw them. Funny thing is, we didnt even tell them they were touch screen, but they just went for it instinctively. Glad we got the Touch version now

Highly recommended.

13. Thanks to detjo from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    Thanks for the shout outs for VeryPC kit. We've run out of stocks several times on our AIOs as they've proven popular with no slow down in demand. They're easily serviceable, attractive, neat and tidy and add a bit of wow factor. We've even been having stickers and badges made up with end user branding for clients. Go AIO!
    Ooo - you didn't offer me stickers or badges - is it too late??

Thank Post
    We've had AIO's in the IT suites for a good few years now. We used to buy a lot of RM One's but now moving to Lenovo's to replace them. I think AIO's are the way to go for classrooms.

Thank Post
    +1 for the Dell OptiPlex 3011, good build and reliable. We've been advising edu clients buy them since there release, mainly for student use. It's worth pointing out that I don't think they come with any form of video out, which rules them out of use with a whiteboard or digital screen. I have Dell Vostro 360, the 3011 is a far better build.

I also recommend the Pro Support warranty if you do purchase, this will provide next business day warranty coupled with easy-peasy fault logging.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    Ooo - you didn't offer me stickers or badges - is it too late??
    Never too late, but there is a Minimum Order Quantity.

Thank Post
    Lenovo or Dell for me. Tried custom ones before and the quality and service just wasnt there at all. I also like the fact that I can get 3 suppliers quoting on the same thing which makes it a lot easier and found both to be a lot cheaper (£70-£90 per machine!) recently with the technology access licencing(?) promo thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast