+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptop batteries in Technical; Hi all Just wanting to get a few thoughts on laptop batteries if anyone wants to chip in. We usually ...

Thank Post

Laptop batteries

Hi all

Just wanting to get a few thoughts on laptop batteries if anyone wants to chip in. We usually buy Dell/HP laptops with 9 cell batteries but they seem to be getting harder to find at a reasonable price. It's not uncommon for laptops to be used in lessons for around four hours straight without charge, maybe more, and the 9 cell batteries cope with this just fine. If we have to drop down to 6 cell batteries, I'd like to be sure that we aren't going to get complaints about the batteries not lasting long enough.

What do you use in your schools and do you think the 6 cells will suffice? Laptop specs always suggest they'll be fine but I'd prefer to get some real world feedback.

Thanks

Thank Post
    How old are your laptops? Normally we don't bother replacing batteries as they will easily last more than 3 years after that time we invest in new laptops all together? Otherwise the battery costs more to replace than the laptop is worth!

If they aren't that old I'm guessing your school would buy into a 3 year warranty agreement with the company as do we, if so contact the company and tell them the battery isn't holding charge long enough and get them to sort the carp out!

If for some reason you don't fancy doing this then the 6cells would suffice for us but every school has different needs so you may have no choice but to buy a 9 cell no matter what the cost! Task to ICTDirect_Dave I'm sure he can get you some cheap deals on some refurbed laptops to replace those ones!

3. Thanks to abillybob from:

andypitts (2nd June 2014)

Thank Post
    We just tend to buy the cheapest compatible battery we can find from Amazon. It doesn't matter if its 6 or 9 cells, as long as the laptop stays on long enough for the teacher to get from classroom A to classroom B without dying then it will do They can always plug the laptops in once they reach their lesson (we have power outlets at the front of each classroom).

5. Thanks to themightymrp from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post - we will be buying new laptops (not just batteries). So I want to be sure that we don't spend out on a brand new set of laptops which are let down by battery life. I'm looking at 4th Gen i5 so power consumption should be good. Just wondered if anyone could verify that 6 cell batteries don't cause problems in their school. It's basically another 2,500 if we want 9 cell, so if 6 cells are good enough I'd like to save the money

Thank Post
    Well from what I've been told before, the warranty on a laptop battery is separate from the laptop itself and is only for 6 months!

So for us it's a case of choose the cheaper option, the majority of batteries will last us at least a year

EDIT - actually, after a quick Google it seems that the bigger brands offer 12 months. That would still be fine for us
    Last edited by themightymrp; 2nd June 2014 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    They can always plug the laptops in once they reach their lesson (we have power outlets at the front of each classroom).
    Ah, these laptops are for the pupils - up to 22 per class, so plugging in isn't really an option. They get returned to charging trolleys for a top up but can be in continual use all morning or afternoon.

Thank Post
    Got some 6 cell Acers in one of my primaries, and they are usually good for 2 hours heavy use in the morning and another hour after lunch, but that only happens if it has been plugged in properly on both the laptop and the charging trolley is plugged into the wall too!

10. Thanks to HTCPCP from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The majority of replacement batteries we supply to Education are 9 cell hi-cap, we always recommend compats when facing DELL/HP as (you already highlighted) those 2 manufs. tend to hike prices consistently.

Compats come with 12 month no-quibble warranty as standard.

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread