+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Asus EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........ in Technical; Gah bugger. Makes portability a bit...well....lacking if you're going to start carrying around the external USB drives and the associated ...
    Thank Post

Re: Asus EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........

Gah bugger. Makes portability a bit...well....lacking if you're going to start carrying around the external USB drives and the associated cables with it too.

On the other hand, no mechanical hard drive is quite appealing seeing as i've killed two in laptops in the past year.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keep all your data on a 4GB SD Card. If someone steals the machine you've still got your data - assuming you removed it from the machine of course :-)

richard

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Gah bugger. Makes portability a bit...well....lacking if you're going to start carrying around the external USB drives and the associated cables with it too.

On the other hand, no mechanical hard drive is quite appealing seeing as i've killed two in laptops in the past year.
    I always carry a 2.5" 100 GB drive in my bag which holds a variety of Open Source and free for personal use software, as well as a whole load of utilities and several Linux iso's which I can burn to disk if needed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

EEEPC couldn't cope with my entire film/music collection !
    I'd put that on a server and use the eeepc as a roaming device, everything important is on a 4GB usb flash drive which lives on my keyring ( which also has a bootable trinity rescue disk

Probably the EEEPC wouldn't suit a teacher who doesn't know how to make a presentation occupy less than 150MB. but for a usable diagnostic/internet/notebook/geek toy it is perfect.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    for a usable diagnostic/internet/notebook/geek toy it is perfect.
    Yup, that's why I'm getting one. And it'll be great to take on me hols too.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Eughh OS X

2000 is lighter on resources than XP, and XP has crappy themes and effects to load, but it has a quicker boot time than 2K.

Do you find WinME easier to use than the distro pre-installed on the EeePC as it is, OOTB?
    To be honest, I haven't actually tried the EeePC's OS, so I am probably being unfair on it. I am simply basing my comments on earlier experiences with Linux.

My main idea with wanting Windows rather than Linux would be program compatibility - I know there are usually Linux alternatives, but I prefer the program I want not a similar variant.

I'm not prejudiced against Linux at all (I run a Debian server at home, fully text mode no GUI) but just prefer the Windows experience as a desktop OS - I know there is an opinion of Windows being unstable, but I don't have a problem personally with XP, perhaps I'm just lucky

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    for a usable diagnostic/internet/notebook/geek toy it is perfect.
    Yup, that's why I'm getting one. And it'll be great to take on me hols too.
    to be useable as a diagnostic tool it really needs a touchstick for comfortable one handed operation.

No other external devices should be connected to the EEE...it kind of defeats the purpose for me. So thats no mouse, no external HD, no ext CD/DVD drive, and i don't like the idea of messing around with SD cards to boost storage. Asus should just up the built-in flash capacity so that there is space to put the odd large file, and the use of an ext. USB stick should be good enough for anything that needs to be transferred off/to the EEE....

Hopefully the next version will also have built in HSDPA WWAN, if it does it will be the ultimate IT road warrior machine.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Eughh OS X

2000 is lighter on resources than XP, and XP has crappy themes and effects to load, but it has a quicker boot time than 2K.

Do you find WinME easier to use than the distro pre-installed on the EeePC as it is, OOTB?
    you've just got me thinking, if Apple can do a stripped down, heavily modified OSX for the iphone, then surely they can do a stripped down less heavily modded version of OSX for a tiny device the size of an EEE.....

The success of the EEE could well spurt Apple into making they're very own 10 inch itty bitty little ultra-portable. Ofcourse, the new macbook pro portable scheduled for early next year is going to be very small and light, and while it will be SANS dvd drive it'll still have a 'large' 13 inch screen, hybrid SSD drives and full blown OSX so it'll retail at well over £700.....whereas an Apple UMPC platform modelled on the ASUS could use low capacity flash storage just like the EEE, with a stripped down install of OSX to deal with the low storage capacity, have a 7 or 10 inch screen like the EEE, and no doubt it would have phenomenal battery life...If such a macine started at £400 it would sell like the proverbial hot cake.

And Apple have the design flair to make people forget all about the EEE....and i'd actually prefer to use a custom version of OSX in preference to Asus' customized Linux offering (just my personal preference)

trust me apple could do it if they threw enough resources at it, and the time is right for such an adventure while they're stock is still BUY, and we the consumers are crying out for lower cost laptops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

@torledo - it would go against Apple's current philosophy completely to do that. They seem to be focussing entirely on flashy graphics and things like that rather than providing cheap systems. There have been more and more 'super cheap' systems appearing recently and the reaction from Apple has been to introduce more expensive ones.

I think their idea is 'if we can sell 10 £4000 machines that's better than 100 £400 machines'. This means less support requirements and less production costs. So overall profitability would be higher.

Apple don't really position themselves as a 'normal' pc seller, they still focus on prestige.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    @torledo - it would go against Apple's current philosophy completely to do that. They seem to be focussing entirely on flashy graphics and things like that rather than providing cheap systems.
    Change "cheap" to reliable & secure; who do we get instead of Apple?

Sorry - coat - door!

That said, I'll be watching these things. My daughter is at GCSE this year, maybe for the start of A levels... (rather than an old Vaio with knackered battery and Ubuntu at the moment...

Thank Post

@torledo - it would go against Apple's current philosophy completely to do that. They seem to be focussing entirely on flashy graphics and things like that rather than providing cheap systems. There have been more and more 'super cheap' systems appearing recently and the reaction from Apple has been to introduce more expensive ones.

I think their idea is 'if we can sell 10 £4000 machines that's better than 100 £400 machines'. This means less support requirements and less production costs. So overall profitability would be higher.

Apple don't really position themselves as a 'normal' pc seller, they still focus on prestige.
    I can't really pretend to understand Apples business model, all in know is their 'PC' business is going through something of a resurgence of late...it would make sense for them to enter into the entry level. Sure the may feel that they need to add a premium becuase of the Apple design and use of brushed metal, but if consumer attitudes change maybe Apples pricing policy may change.

I don't see them adding anything fancy to their hardware range....everythign fit's a purpose....from the use of more environmentally friendly materials in the new iMAC to the slot fed superdrive they introduced with the ibook G4. OSX 10.5 is not to everyones taste, but then that's more resistance to change rather than Apple going down the bells and whistles route with the OS.

With the current macbook you do get a lot of value....sure it's not as cheap as i'd like and i personally wouldn't buy one using my own money...but little things like the magnetic power lock, compact power brick, magentic latch are all nice features that set it apart from the advent's of this world.....plus the battery life on an old ibook G4 running OSX is way better than a lot of newer OEM laptops i've used. So the combination of OSX and Apple hardware is a good marriage....

There is the danger they won't respond to the current price competitiveness offerend by the laptop oem's becuase it could mean cannibalising the current macbook product line......

So Apple could introduce a cheaper model but deliberately hamper it's ability to do certain tasks that would require a more expensive model such as a macbook pro so as to keep it's other products as viable alternatives for consumers...

Also if the idea of an LED backlit apple notebook that you can fit in a big jacket pocket, running an instant-on (or at worst less than 10 second boot up time) version of OSX 10.5, while weighing less than a kilo and costing less than £500 doesn't send you into a cold sweat...then you're not human.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kearton
    Typical. Now that we've ordered 2 they bring out a new one.

Thank Post

2 ??!!! That's nothing, we've ordered 3 only after my boss indicated an interest in 30 odd !!!! of the current 4gig model...that's when i told her to start off small as a revised version was bound to be released within the next 12 months. And we didn't want to be lumbered with 30 or so of the 4gb models.

Noticed in another article someone managed to install leopard on the eee...then thought better of it and downgraded to tiger . I really want osx on one of the ultrapotables...whether it be the eee or something from Apple.

Thank Post

From the picture at that link, I think I'd be happy to settle for the 1st Gen Model!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast