+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Asus EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........ in Technical; I just hope the cost of EeePCs with XP on reflect the additional cost of having an inferior OS on...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Asus EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........

I just hope the cost of EeePCs with XP on reflect the additional cost of having an inferior OS on

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    isn't the point that linux will run more efficiently on the eeepc. it's limited to 600Mhz I'm sure any xp apps won't run well on that, it would be better to find a linux alternative to whatever application you need. Also eeexubuntu and the default xandros are optimised for eeepc (only have necessary drivers, don't write tmp/logs/swap to disk to preserve the life of the flash) I don't think you get these benefits on XP. I want to see kde4 running on one soon
    I have heard this too- the "wear levelling system" it's called and it really isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be. Flash based drives have millions of writes available, and even the Xandros install on the eeePC uses SATA based wear levelling- not as good for solid state as you would want to believe.

At the end of the day if you like Linux and can use it then more power to you. I have tried it since before kernel 1 and haven't had very good experiences with it at all. *For me* XP would be better on the thing, and I have very good sources that tell me it runs just as well as Xandros. People shouldn't be brow beaten or have to apologise because they make a choice for one OS or another. XP is good for all that I need it for (studying another MCP and things like that).

If it wears out my drive then it doesn't matter. My mate had dozens to give away and I got it free. He also has XP on his and it runs extremely well- he takes it on the road with him and uses it for office stuff (using Open Office 2). It's all cool and it is all relative.

Enjoy your eeePC with Linux on it.

Even though I think it sucks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Any chance of you getting us a load of freebies of them then

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm interested to see how the EeePC copes with running XP, Theme + effects, Antivirus, Antispyware etc etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I'm interested to see how the EeePC copes with running XP, Theme + effects, Antivirus, Antispyware etc etc
    That was my point really - We have 1.6Ghz laptops which run XP very poorly... How a 600Mhz laptop is going to cope will be questionable.

It may well run fine at first, but give it a few weeks and I can pretty much guarantee that it will be slow and near enough useless.

And it isn't a case of being brow beaten - it is a case of wondering why you'd want to take a working, useful machine and turn it into a useless lump :P

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    That was my point really - We have 1.6Ghz laptops which run XP very poorly... How a 600Mhz laptop is going to cope will be questionable.

It may well run fine at first, but give it a few weeks and I can pretty much guarantee that it will be slow and near enough useless.

And it isn't a case of being brow beaten - it is a case of wondering why you'd want to take a working, useful machine and turn it into a useless lump :P
    agree entirely, the reason potentially good machines like the OQO2 are such dogs to use is partly because they're running xp - which is like square peg to a round hole when you're talking about low voltage, low speed processors. If you want something more fancy how about trying to install Xandros....

What ASUS needs to do is address the storage, a 16gb flash drive would make a whole lot of sense at some point in the near future. making full use of the screen area is another revision i'd like to see but my biggest bugbear is the trackpad...

You just don't need it on the EEE...a got trackstick in the middle of the keyboard with a couple of tactile buttons in place of the trackpad for left and right click would be more than adeguate. The trackpad on the eee is poorly located and the trackpad button is hideously awful to use....

I know some people don't like tracksticks, but trust me if i can be accurate with a trackpoint on a 14.1inch thinkpad screen a 7.5 inch screen is a piece of cake
    to navigate around.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

there is a bios patch that allows 900MHz or a linux kernel module to do the same:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howtoverclockfsb

Thank Post

Or perhaps a touchscreen to replace/supplement the touchpad.

Thank Post

XP might run a bit quicker after you bang SP3 on that bad boy

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1
    Or perhaps a touchscreen to replace/supplement the touchpad.
    Not a huge fan of touchscreens on anything bigger than a PDA....
    Didn't really jump aboard the tablet pc bandwagon (don't think many people did tbh)

I suppose a touchscreen would be an improvement on the current navigation method....but the keyboard on the eee is impressively easy to use so a simple addition like the touchstick would make it an enjoyable device to use.

The EEE's not very responsive to tapping on the touchpad either, and i'm not sure if there's even a way to select a right-click option in the linux OS for tapping right-click....

Either way never much liked tapping on a touchpad, scrolling on a touchpad is even worse, you really need some tactile feedback for scrolling. Or maybe i'm just too in love with my T61 and am being unduly harsh on the EEE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Nokia currently have the market on touchscreen Linux portables:
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4568578

Thank Post

I've just had a thought - it may be heresy, but for those of us that are not keen on Linux and would prefer some sort of Windows on the machine, is it possible to install something like Windows Me?

I know, I know, we all hate WinMe But was thinking it can do most of the things you'd want on a tiddly device like the eeepc, but without the demands of full-blown XP.

What do you all reckon?

Chris.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I can't think of any benefits WinME would give over the pre-installed Linux distro but each Microsoft fanboy to their own

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

I wouldnt do MediEvil edition, I would do Win 2000 Pro perhaps though

Thank Post

I can't think of any benefits WinME would give over the pre-installed Linux distro but each Microsoft fanboy to their own
    Not a Microsoft fanboy at all (actually typing this from Firefox on Mac OS X on a MacBook :P ), just personally find Windows easier to use than Linux. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I wouldnt do MediEvil edition, I would do Win 2000 Pro perhaps though
    Wouldn't 2000 Pro be as heavy (is not heavier) than XP on resources? Agree it would be preferable to Me though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast