+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, interactive boards and projectors in Technical; We are thinking about having interactive boards in the rest of our classrooms - but ....... we are in a ...
    Thank Post

interactive boards and projectors

We are thinking about having interactive boards in the rest of our classrooms - but ....... we are in a school with new and stringent structural restrictions and asbestos! So nothing can be fixed to the wall or hung from the ceiling. We will have to use stands and trolleys but want to make them as permanent as possible.
    Does anyone use interactive boards and projectors on stands and can recommend any equipment?

Thank Post

Re: interactive boards and projectors

> So nothing can be fixed to the wall or hung from the ceiling. We will
    > have to use stands and trolleys but want to make them as permanent
    > as possible. Does anyone use interactive boards and projectors on
    > stands and can recommend any equipment?

We use projectors in wheely stands, like office filing cabinets with castor wheels on. They'll take a projector, laptop and speakers on shelves inside, with the top shelf sliding out with the projector on ready to go. All the user has to do is set the laptop up on top of the cabinet each time they want to use it (you could also simply stick a desktop PC in the bottom of the cabinet instead). These keep computing equipment out of the way quite nicly, and safe from casual theft, although I'm guessing they wouldn't stand up to a more determined thief. I seem to remember they cost a fair bit, considering they're cabinets-with-wheels-on. Companies like Lapsafe do similar products but in welded steel, and with an even larger price tag.

For input devices, personally I'd forget about the IWB and get a wireless keyboard and mouse instead (did someone post a link to a nice bluetooth keyboard with built-in laptop-style mousepad a while back?). The GyroMouse is a good item to look out for, too.. If you definatly want an IWB, then Mimio / eBeam would probably be the things to use. I think they're still made with suckers so you can attache them to smooth surfaces such as existing whiteboards, and I'm guessing you can help out with blu-tack.

There'll be a bunch of companies at the BETT show selling things like projector cabinets. I seem to remember the eBeam / Mimio stands both doing discounts on bulk/on-the-day sales. If you can attend BETT knowing you need to buy X number of projectors/IWBs/stands, then you can probably negotiate a discount by playing one supplier off against another one. It's probably a good idea to try each input device out so you can see how it works (the GyroMice take a little getting used to, for instance).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

I know this is not directly related to the question you asked but thought it was interesting none the less , this guy has other projects which are interesting as well on the root of his site :

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Thank Post

Woa! Cool! DIY multitouch interactive whiteboards!

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread