+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Mainboard Blown by Bad Shutdown in Technical; Okay, this is really bugging me now - even out of the case, I can't get either the old or ...
    Thank Post
    Okay, this is really bugging me now - even out of the case, I can't get either the old or new motherboards to boot! At one point, the old one booted and gave a two-tone error sound (kind of like a Police car, twice) - sadly this error tone isn't listed among the POST beeps on Intel's web site.

The tests which I have done to date are: swap RAM, processor, power supply (by running two PCs side-by-side, stretching the wires from one case to the other), test the CPU and RAM in a different PC, remove the board from the case completely, turn it on then immediately remove the power switch jumpers. What test have I missed out? I will try pretty much anything now, however random it might seem!

Can someone please tell me what on God's green earth is wrong with this damn PC?!?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Okay, this is really bugging me now - even out of the case, I can't get either the old or new motherboards to boot! At one point, the old one booted and gave a two-tone error sound (kind of like a Police car, twice) - sadly this error tone isn't listed among the POST beeps on Intel's web site.

The tests which I have done to date are: swap RAM, processor, power supply (by running two PCs side-by-side, stretching the wires from one case to the other), test the CPU and RAM in a different PC, remove the board from the case completely, turn it on then immediately remove the power switch jumpers. What test have I missed out? I will try pretty much anything now, however random it might seem!

Can someone please tell me what on God's green earth is wrong with this damn PC?!?!
    sounds like it's broke

seriously i've had this Nick and it turned out to be the power supply changed it and all ok.

Thank Post
    The siren beep sounds to me like a CPU temperature warning, so it may be worth making sure its properly seated, the fan's powered and the heat sink's secure.

My first thought was that the memory was shorting, but if you've tried both some old and new memory sticks in the board then that's not likely. You could try taking the RAM out completely and trying to at least cause memory beeps. If you get no beeps then its something serious on the board, if you do get beeps then its something to do with the RAM.

I'd say to strip the board down to the bare essentials, and use a known good power supply, processor and single RAM stick. If it still fails to even POST, just take off the components, find out which ones work, and chuck the board itself.

Thank Post
    In the past I've assumed it's the motherboard but I've since learned that even though the PSU may have appeared to have survived, one or more of the power rails has not gone without damage.

As a rule of thumb in something like this a PSU replacement is pretty much mandated otherwise you run the risk of blowing yet another board with bad power.

That said, sounds like you've already gone that route and at a guess the fact that the PSU survived enough is an indicator that it passed on a lot of damage to the other components from RAM on down to HD and motherboard.. I'd ditch it and start over.

Thank Post
    @unclebenny - CPU temperature is possible, as the CPU fan wasn't seated correctly but that wouldn't kick in the very second I turn it on, would it? Surely it would take it a little while to get hot enough for it to be a problem??

@contink - sadly, I think you're right. I'm wondering if the PSU is damaged but still able to supply enough power to turn on, and I've gone and stuffed board no.2 as well....

Thank Post
    On my 1st day I had a similar issue, PC wouldn't fire and none of the POST beep codes it gave were the same, I decided to try the PSU before declaring anything else dead and lo and behold, she fired

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem last week....

We ordered in a new motherboard and the problem didn't go away.
    Turned out it was actually the PSU, which was strange. Give it a try!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    @contink - sadly, I think you're right. I'm wondering if the PSU is damaged but still able to supply enough power to turn on, and I've gone and stuffed board no.2 as well....
    Could be worse... My father once famously stuffed 3 motherboards in quick succession because he got "angry" and stopped thinking straight.

I, in turn, learned that "I told you so" still got you a clip round the ear even though I was right... or as my father later said when apologising, especially for being right!

Anyways, as a result I always change the PSU first after a spike to ensure he doesn't get on the blower to return the favour

Thank Post
    Have you taken a Voltmeter to the PSU to check everything is reading ok? - Darn sight quicker than replacing it just to check.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/guide...ing-guide.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Which make is it, we have had a series of problems with older RMs never have found out what causes it but the board appears to blow PSUs

Thank Post
    It is an RM PC, but not that old, less than 2 years. Its the only problem of this nature which we've had, so I think it more likely that the power cut hurt it rather than the board itself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our RMs are approx 4 yrs old and we now just write them off as we no longer use RM and it is obviously a strange mobo fault

Thank Post
    I would be tempted to write off a 4-year-old PC if it developed this fault too, but I'm less inclined to do that for a >2-yr-old one.

Thank Post
    If it's less than 2 years old, don't you have hardware warranty?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12