+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, I hate printers! Problem with an HP 2550n in Technical; I've thrown every type of document I can find at this printer and can't actually find a problem. It's not ...
    Thank Post

I hate printers! Problem with an HP 2550n

I've thrown every type of document I can find at this printer and can't actually find a problem. It's not my printer though - my colleague frequently complains that it:

a) prints two copies of letters she sends to it
    b) between printing every page she needs to press the green 'GO' button to get the next copy

This is obviously really frustrating but I can't replicate it. I would have thought the problem is something to do with 'bad' data somewhere in the document but the problem doesn't occur sending the same thing from my computer...

Any ideas?

Thank Post

Re: I hate printers! Problem with an HP 2550n

b) between printing every page she needs to press the green 'GO' button to get the next copy

We had this problem with one of the computers in the office, we changed the printer, no good anyway to cut a long story short. It was only doing this in word all other applications worked fine. It was a problem somewhere in her roaming profile, gave her a new profile everything worked fine

Thank Post

Ask her to phone you next tme it happens; that way you can at least see the problem happening (if not the cause).

As for the 2 copies....are you she he/she isn't the type of person who believes you have tyhe double-click everything? We have had that here before, believe it or not!

Pete

Thank Post

Not a lot of help I'm afraid but we have about 8 of these printers, never had a problem with any of them.....

If it was a LJ2300, now there is a printer that would drive a teetotaller to half a shandy.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've seen behaviour like that once or twice with other models of HP printers. It was resolved by unchecking the "Enable Advanced Features" option on the Advanced tab on the printer's properties page.

Not saying it'll solve your problem but worth a go.

Thank Post

Sometimes issues like this can be solved by changing the print processor, I've had Hp printers printing all pages onto one due to the use of the Winprint processor.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts

If you have the printer networked (using an Ethernet port), HP printer drivers appear to create a custom HP TCP/IP port. Create a standard TCP/IP port and move the printer to this port. It saved me a lot of hassle when I setup a HP printer the other day!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    This definatly sounds like the paper type on the document is wrong ie letter instead of A4. This setting should be forced to the correct type in the printer driver on the server.

When the printer receives the print job it sees that it is on a different paper size to what it has avalible and has to ask permission to print on a different size, hence the delay.

Check that the printer is set to think that it has A4 in its tray and that your driver is set to A4. There is also quite oftern an option in the printer menu that tells it to automatically override paper size without asking, this is what you want to prevent it perminantly. You should be able to use the web management bit to configure both of these printer side settings.

The double printing thing could be a default normal.dot or something that is messed up as I know that word does save the print copies box sometimes. You can check whether it is two jobs being submitted or the copies and also confirm the A4/Letter thing by running this http://www.papercut.com/products/fre.../print_logger/ free loffing software and getting your user to replicate the faults. The log should tell you whether the printer or the program printing is the guilty party.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748
    Ask her to phone you next tme it happens; that way you can at least see the problem happening (if not the cause).

As for the 2 copies....are you she he/she isn't the type of person who believes you have tyhe double-click everything? We have had that here before, believe it or not!

Pete
    She'd be happy to phone me, I'm sure, but actually she's in the office next to mine! It was happening on Friday but, it seemed, only from one computer using only Word 2003 on a mail merged document.

It's one of those problems that's 'been happening for a long time' but is impossible to replicate when a tech has a look.

Thanks for the suggestions -

I'll look into the paper size - that sounds strangely familiar

Thanks everyone

(edit: found the advanced options on the print server and paper size was indeed 'letter') *crosses fingers*

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    If you have the printer networked (using an Ethernet port), HP printer drivers appear to create a custom HP TCP/IP port. Create a standard TCP/IP port and move the printer to this port. It saved me a lot of hassle when I setup a HP printer the other day!

What he said

Thank Post

Pebcak

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
    Pebcak
    I don't think so - not on this occasion. They're both, normally, quite literate. Seems fine since I made those changes on the print server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread