+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, TABLET 8.1 Pro in Technical; We are currenty considering replacing our student laptops with a tablet 8.1 pro of some description. (for students in a ...

Thank Post

TABLET 8.1 Pro

We are currenty considering replacing our student laptops with a tablet 8.1 pro of some description.
    (for students in a large secondary school)

I have identified the 2 dell models below as potential replacements, does anyone have experience of these?

Dell Venue Pro 8 spec
    Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3740D (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core)
    2GB Single Channel DDR3L-RS 1600MHz
    64GB eMMC Hard Drive

Dell Venue Pro 11 spec
    Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3770 (2MB Cache, 2.4GHz, Quad-Core)
    2GB LPDDR3 Memory
    64GB eMMC flash drive

Or could anyone recommend an alternative ?

Any advice welcome.

Thank Post
    The Toshiba Encore is cheaper and has similar specs to the 8, alought it has an 8Mpixel camera and built in GPS but no stylus option. The build quality is acceptable. Battery life and speed are great.

Thank Post
    What spec are your current laptops?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    What spec are your current laptops?
    Lenovo R61's
    3GB RAM
    80 GB 7200RPM
    Intel Core Duo processor T7500(2.2GHz)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    The Toshiba Encore is cheaper and has similar specs to the 8, alought it has an 8Mpixel camera and built in GPS but no stylus option. The build quality is acceptable. Battery life and speed are great.
    We're currently trying out a selection of tablets - @rickjames has the Toshiba Encore 8 running Windows 8.1 Home, he's had it for a couple of days now. We've got to try and figure out how we go about getting Windows 8.1 Enterprise on it. Also, storage seems to be fairly limited (32GB disk), which might be a factor if people are thinking they'll get all the same software as the desktop machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 10101010 View Post
    We are currenty considering replacing our student laptops with a tablet 8.1 pro of some description.
    (for students in a large secondary school)

I have identified the 2 dell models below as potential replacements, does anyone have experience of these?

Dell Venue Pro 8 spec
    Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3740D (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core)
    2GB Single Channel DDR3L-RS 1600MHz
    64GB eMMC Hard Drive

Dell Venue Pro 11 spec
    Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3770 (2MB Cache, 2.4GHz, Quad-Core)
    2GB LPDDR3 Memory
    64GB eMMC flash drive

Or could anyone recommend an alternative ?

Any advice welcome.
    Hi, thanks for your post. Whatever you do it's worth grabbing hold of a few students and teachers and polling them on what they would get the best use out of to help them with their studies. Most may prefer to stick with a netbook type device and engage with them faster. At VeryPC we're seeing a lot of interest in tablets for the sake of tablets when in the end a reasonably specced touch screen windows netbook / laptop, chromebook or rugged android tablet has won the day. Personally can't fault the dells or the Toshiba's and am interested in what people think of them and what you go for in the end.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    We're currently trying out a selection of tablets - @rickjames has the Toshiba Encore 8 running Windows 8.1 Home, he's had it for a couple of days now. We've got to try and figure out how we go about getting Windows 8.1 Enterprise on it. Also, storage seems to be fairly limited (32GB disk), which might be a factor if people are thinking they'll get all the same software as the desktop machines.
    I managed it with a Rufus built Windows 8.1 Enterprise 32 bit memory stick (though the Windows 7 USB tool probably would have worked too) on an Asus T100. Wouldn't boot a 64 bit install sadly, as the UEFI is only 32 bit compatible. May be the same on the Tosh. The T100 is only 32 bit, but there was space for Windows, SIMS and Office with space to operate.

8. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

dhicks (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Wouldn't boot a 64 bit install sadly, as the UEFI is only 32 bit compatible. May be the same on the Tosh.
    Hmm, something to check, many thanks - we're moving all our other machines over to Windows 8.1 Exterprise 64-bit, so if we can't go for a matching tablet OS we might as well get Android devices.

Thank Post
    Exactly. That one T100 is the only 32 bit client on site - I was pretty miffed! Would require Asus to release an updated UEFI which won't happen.

See if you can find any tips from existing owners about installing 64 bit - it should work as Bay Trail supports it as a platform, even if most devices only have 2GB of RAM. It's up to the manufacturer though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. That one T100 is the only 32 bit client on site - I was pretty miffed! Would require Asus to release an updated UEFI which won't happen.

See if you can find any tips from existing owners about installing 64 bit - it should work as Bay Trail supports it as a platform, even if most devices only have 2GB of RAM. It's up to the manufacturer though.
    Dirty ASUS garbage, I had to image five of these things and you are right, despite the 64bit CPU the EFI will not boot it. What is even more charming is that it will not boot Windows PE either - at least for me - so I had to manually apply a system image with a Windows 8 32bit boot key from a hard drive powered by an externally powered USB hub as they don't provide enough power. Oh and if you thought a big enough USB key would do it, better luck next time... to boot it has to be FAT32 with the 4GB limit so a custom image won't fit without splitting. Then you run a system startup repair to get it to boot and it is fine but what a hassle. I was not able to find a USB NIC that would allow it to UEFI PXE boot either.

To ASUS... Die in a fire.

To Dell please stop being tools and release the new Atom version of the Venue Pro in NZ rather than the Celeron or Pentium ones. If any site sponsors can get a hold of these that can be shipped direct from Dell to NZ and work with NZ power please PM me @CPLTD @VeryPC - we have tried four times to get a Dell direct account manager and every time have been ignored or passed around a telephone black hole.

Thank Post
    I've been using the Lenovo Miix 2
    8" Bay Trail which is a great bit of kit crippled by lack of usable storage and a Miix 2 11" Core i3 with SSD which is far better.

No doubt in my mind the Bay Trail Quad Core is my favourite but 32 Gb is useless as an OS drive.

What we need is a decent 10" Bay Trail with 4Gb and a 128 SSD

Lenovo have got close but not quite...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    32GB is useless as an OS drive.
    You could use the new WIMBoot feature of Windows 8.1 Update 1 to increase the amount of free disk space.

www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/04/11/wimboot/1

The advantage of this method, Microsoft explains, is that the WIMBoot image can remain lightly compressed - not enough to harm overall performance, but enough to mean that the user is given a little more storage space with which to play. 'Let’s assume the WIM file (INSTALL.WIM) is around 3GB and you are using a 16GB SSD,' explains Microsoft's Ben Hunter of the feature. 'In that configuration, you’ll still be left with over 12GB of free disk space (after subtracting out the size of the WIM and a little bit of additional “overhead”). And the same WIM file (which is read-only, never being changed in this process) can also be used as a recovery image, in case you want to reset the computer back to its original state.

'How does that compare to a non-WIMBoot configuration? Well, on that same 16GB system there might be only 7GB free after installing Windows – and then only if you don’t set up a separate recovery image.'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    to boot it has to be FAT32 with the 4GB limit so a custom image won't fit without splitting.
    UEFI BIOSs typically will only read FAT32 partitions.

As a workaround, you could create flash drive with two partitions. The first being FAT32 (for WinPE) and the second, NTFS (for the image).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    UEFI BIOSs typically will only read FAT32 partitions.

As a workaround, you could create flash drive with two partitions. The first being FAT32 (for WinPE) and the second, NTFS (for the image).

Nice idea but even the hack way only works on certain usb keys to be able to be read in windows and hence windows pe. Wasted a good hour and a flash drive on that line of investigation, come to think of it it would be much simpler with two usb keys, one fat32 boot and one data which gets around the limits of some usb keys on windows. Still a hassle though.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=m25man;1168073]I've been using the Lenovo Miix 2
    8" Bay Trail which is a great bit of kit crippled by lack of usable storage and a Miix 2 11" Core i3 with SSD which is far better.

Yeah I like lenovo, they've got an interesting model coming out, just waiting for uk release

Meet the New Education-Built ThinkPad 11e

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread