+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, USB not detected in Technical; So last week one of the teachers USB flash drives crashed whilst she was using it. Since rebooting the machine ...

Thank Post

USB not detected

So last week one of the teachers USB flash drives crashed whilst she was using it. Since rebooting the machine NO USB drives work on it. (the one which crashed was fine to use on other machines and works normally on them).

When they are plugged in nothing happens, they aren't seen or detected in any ports - front or rear.

The keyboard and mouse which are USB both work however, in any port.

Anyone seen this before? Not sure what's going on!

Thank Post
    Do any devices work, i.e. usb keyboard / mouse, do the devices light up (are they getting power), anything change in device manager when you plug in / unplug a device

Mike

Thank Post
    Have you tried deleting and re-installing USB devices with new drivers in Device Manager?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_ash View Post
    Do any devices work, i.e. usb keyboard / mouse, do the devices light up (are they getting power), anything change in device manager when you plug in / unplug a device

Mike
    Yes the keyboard and mouse work fine - as normal. Not sure if the USB flash drive gets power as no light on the one I tried. Will take another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasriel View Post
    Have you tried deleting and re-installing USB devices with new drivers in Device Manager?
    That's a good idea - will try that when the PC is free.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Is said member of staff attempting to get the USB Drive to work again so as to retrieve data off said USB Storage device whether it be a memory stick / external hard drive or whatever or are they just wanting to get the other USB Ports working again so they can use a new USB Memory stick or other USB Devices with said computer ?

If they are attempting to get data off of the old memory stick then may be worth while trying said memory stick on another computer or two to see if they can retrieve data that way , if it prompts and states to format or erase the memory stick, click cancel and you may need to use data recovery software such as test disk / get data back / a number of other free ones ( which am sure other edugeek members can suggest.

If it is just that you want to get the other USB Ports to work on the computer then I would say as per above , use device manager and remove all the USB HUBS and ROOT HUBS ( but only after removing the USB Device ie memory stick driver ( right click and un-install and should give you a tick box to delete the driver )

May be an idea to install the latest chipset drivers which will then need a reboot and it should re install all the USB HUB and USB ROOT HUB Devices after a reboot

If it is windows 7 - windows 7 may re install these after a reboot anyway

Thank Post
    Yes it's Windows 7. We took all the data off the memory stick after it crashed, just in case. So it's simply a case of being able to use it for resources etc now. Will be after school when I can get in to try uninstalling them so will report back.

Thank Post
    Hmm - it is trying to install the flash drive, but failing. So I will try tomorrow with a couple of different ones just to be certain it isn't the drive. (Teacher said she's tried different ones and I do believe her, but best to check!)

Thank Post
    I've tried two other flash drives and they are acting the same way. It tells me the attached drive has malfunctioned etc. They all work fine on other machines. Would my best option be to simply reinstall the machine? I'd rather find a solution though.

Thank Post
    Either

1) Do a system restore to a point ( date / time ) before she had the issue
    2) Update the chipset drivers which should include the latest USB drivers etc
    3) Re-image the machine ensuring to back up any data etc if required

Thank Post
    Have you checked the USB drivers in device manager. I've encountered a similar problem with a corrupted driver, uninstalling then restarting the PC fixed the problem.

11. Thanks to difinity from:

mac_shinobi (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Have you checked the USB drivers in device manager. I've encountered a similar problem with a corrupted driver, uninstalling then restarting the PC fixed the problem.
    Yes I've done this yesterday to no avail. I think I will reinstall @mac_shinobi - taking too much time on this.

13. Thanks to Novalee from:

mac_shinobi (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the update - hopefully you get it sorted out with a re-image and putting the data back

I presume all BIOS Settings still have the USB Ports enabled ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread