+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, What tech is becoming redundant next? in Technical; Originally Posted by Pottsey Everything from fridges to coffee mugs will get connected. ...and do what when they are connected?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    Everything from fridges to coffee mugs will get connected.
    ...and do what when they are connected?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    An IP friendly fridge yes, but a mug? Not sure about that - unless it changed colour or something like a screensaver

I should patent that idea....

Thank Post
    I'm going to be contentious here I know, but i don't want to see the demise of VGA for a while yet. Reason, as an international school with BYOD, we have kids bring laptops and BD players etc from all over the world,and we've had hells own problems with HDMI HDCP issues from multiple region and 0 region players and disks. It's not entirely legal here to buy HDMI kit without HDCP and the fines for businesses can be massive. VGA is the one way we have round this. DVI just didn't take off in CH.

Thank Post
    I don't think DVI took off anywhere really. It was quickly superseded by HDMI. Smaller and with support for audio, it's no contest really!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Rasterization graphics cards and graphics are possible on the way out. Soon we will have ray tracing in mobiles which at first will most likely be a hybrid between rasterization and ray tracing. Over time (years) ray tracing should fully replace rasterization.
    Maybe not. I looked into this just after the PS4 was announced. Trying to work out why it didn't have ray tracing as I thought it made logical sense. Turns out GPU's are so advanced now with things like CUDA programing, it can be pretty much done in software. That, and the number of polygons being shifted on screen, etc, means traditional graphics cards have caught up to a point were it can actually be quiet hard to see the difference. I think ray tracing is the preserve of higher end CAD and that's about it.

Everything from fridges to coffee mugs even house front doors will get connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Send constant reminders to my iPhone that my coffee has cooled by 0.01 degree, or the milk is half full and 3 days out of date.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 2nd May 2014 at 03:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    They're bringing out a USB C connector, which is symmetrical like the Thunderbolt connector, so cant see USB dissappearing any time soon
    I'lll bet good money that they ****it up so we still have to have a drawer full of assorted cables.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Virgin mostly operate FTTC
    *pedant mode*
    Virgin is actually Fibre to the Node using Hybrid fibre-coaxial but yeah its copper and the cost of replacing all that copper with fibre just isn't justifiable (at the moment).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Food will come with little tags on which feed back to the fridge which feed back to whatever IoT device you wear from a watch to tablet. Popups will appear saying this food is now out of date, your low on xx get ready to buy.

Mugs will have mini screens on with heath monitors connected to sensors so you can monitor your babies if you do not have a baby stream news about share prices over breakfast perhaps.
    Front doors will have embed camera linked to tablets or IoT devices. There will be so many changes over the next 10 years with IoT that the past 10 years will seem slow and quite in comparison.

Thank Post
    You're right, but never really understood the difference - other than coaxial cabling instead of RJ11, and there's still a cab...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Maybe not. I looked into this just after the PS4 was announced. Trying to work out why it didn't have ray tracing as I thought it made logical sense. Turns out GPU's are so advanced now with things like CUDA programing, it can be pretty much done in software. That, and the number of polygons being shifted on screen, etc, means traditional graphics cards have caught up to a point were it can actually be quiet hard to see the difference. I think ray tracing is the preserve of higher end CAD and that's about it.
    Ray tracing will become a major part of mobiles over the next year ish. The cost savings alone make it worth while for app devs.

Areas like lights and shadows can massively benefit from ray tracing. Not only does it save developers large amounts of money and man hours but it looks better for the end users. AMD and NVidia refusal to adapt ray tracing has left us in the crazy position where mobiles have overtaken desktops GPU in graphics and technology (will do soon that is). I have some links to tech videos that show how shadows for example are light years better with ray tracing, easier to implant and look better. The way forward is most likely to start with a hybrid of the two.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong and rasterization stays as a hybrid along side ray tracing.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 2nd May 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    I was so annoyed 2 years ago when we did our last PC refresh - the Intel DB75EN board came with a Parallel port(!) as well as a hybrid PS/2 port. The 5 series boards we had 2 years before that was completely legacy free - no IDE, no floppy, nothing legacy. I honestly hope that all these old ports die for once and for all, VGA included. Nothing worse that running a 20M VGA cable to a projector, then getting soft fuzzy images in return. Thankfully, all our new projectors are including HDMI.

Serial ports are a pain as well. Wish all my HP switches did RJ-45 to USB directly, or USB to Micro USB like some of their latest models.

Thank Post
    Trouble is, whan you ditch a port / standard, somewhere along the line you'll have a perfectly good bit of kit that you can no longer connect, or have to use external adaptors. We are struggling with SmartBoards at the moment. Old ones to be sure, but when we get them going, they do the job. But the serial ports? What a PITA!

Thank Post
    Can printers be labelled as legacy equipment? A pdf does the same job without trees dying.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Can printers be labelled as legacy equipment? A pdf does the same job without trees dying.
    Doubt it. Reading paper is a lot easier than reading a screen. Not to mention all the bureaucracy that has to be generated for various legal reasons. Then add in many people's lack of access to technology, and paper printouts are a necessity.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Nope. I work in a law office. In a given month some 100k letters get printed, not to mention any documents required on top. It's a printing nightmare. Lol.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast