+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, What tech is becoming redundant next? in Technical; Forget Thunderbolt or USB type B. The new standard is USB type C USB Type-C cable with reversible design breaks ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Forget Thunderbolt or USB type B.

The new standard is USB type C

USB Type-C cable with reversible design breaks cover | IT PRO

On USB 3.1 10Gbps

USB alliance finalizes 10Gbps specification as USB 3.1

Thank Post
    They're bringing out a USB C connector, which is symmetrical like the Thunderbolt connector, so cant see USB dissappearing any time soon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Actually I'd argue that USB sticks will be around for longer but at the expense of USB hard drives. Agreed about the cameras though. It'll be mobiles vs DSLR\high end cameras.
    They'll be around, but they won't be anywhere near as popular - everyone will have their files via OneDrive or Dropbox - and it'll only get easier to use them too.

But then, most technologies that have disappeared haven't gone entirely - you can still buy floppy drives and disks, for example. They just dwindle in use until they become more niche.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    They're bringing out a USB C connector, which is symmetrical like the Thunderbolt connector, so cant see USB dissappearing any time soon
    Lightning on the iPhone is symmetrical. Thunderbolt isn't

Thank Post
    unmanaged 10/100 switches.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Copper internet soon will become redundant. Especially as all broadband providers are now moving to fibre.
    External USB Drives (DVD, HDD etc). As more and more moves to the "cloud", it is easier than ever to back everything up and have it available as you want it.
    Wired Keyboards and Mice. With many machines now coming with onboard bluetooth support, wireless devices will make a slow and steady creep into the norm and wired will become outmoded and dated.
    Fax. Rarely used now, can't see it going on for much longer

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Copper internet soon will become redundant. Especially as all broadband providers are now moving to fibre.
    Funny, I agree copper is on it's way out, but I disagree on how. I think with the state of the countries broadband infrastructure and BT's near monopoly on the physical connections, copper will have a slow lingering death.

But fibre isn't it's usurper - that's 4G, well 4G's successors at any rate. 4G now is for mobile internet what early 2G was to mobile voice back in the mid 90's. Today I doubt very meny people really use their land lines for telephone communications. Everyone has mobile phones with free minutes (and text). This is the real start of always on wireless internet everywhere, all the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Still the best way to securely send a sheet of paper from one place to another and still widely used in schools and small businesses as the primary means of placing orders.

Plus I love it

Thank Post
    Exchanges onwards may be fibre but the 'last mile' to the house is a copper stronghold.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No they aren't. There's only a tiny percentage of connections which are "true" fibre. All the FTTC and cable connections all still use copper.

External USB Drives (DVD, HDD etc). As more and more moves to the "cloud", it is easier than ever to back everything up and have it available as you want it.
    Quite possible!

Wired Keyboards and Mice. With many machines now coming with onboard bluetooth support, wireless devices will make a slow and steady creep into the norm and wired will become outmoded and dated.
    Not within the next 10 or so years I don't think. Bluetooth still costs money to implement - more than slapping a USB cable on a device. Not to mention, businesses and schools don't want wireless. Wireless = assets going missing.

Still used heavily by the legal industry, and by many businesses doing instant document sending.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Plus there are many eFax solutions, which gets around the issue having a physical machine on your desk. It appears in your e-mail inbox

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    5 1/2" floppy drives. It's about time I had to stop doing my 2TB backups on those, it's getting quite tiring. The first backup I started in 2011 should be about due to finish in the next few months.

13. 3 Thanks to synaesthesia:

sparkeh (2nd May 2014), tekins (6th May 2014), tmcd35 (2nd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    5 1/2" floppy drives. It's about time I had to stop doing my 2TB backups on those, it's getting quite tiring. The first backup I started in 2011 should be about due to finish in the next few months.
    See you should have invested in double sided disks and a drive with two read heads (saves having to manually flip them). You might have been done by now

Thank Post
    Rasterization graphics cards and graphics are possible on the way out. Soon we will have ray tracing in mobiles which at first will most likely be a hybrid between rasterization and ray tracing. Over time (years) ray tracing should fully replace rasterization. Once people see how good it is in mobile I assume there will be a bigger push for it in desktop computers. It’s a crazy world we live in when mobiles will in ways have better graphics then desktop computers.

Cables partly. Speakers for example will move to wireless. Anything that’s not connect to the internet will become redundant although this will take years as people hang on. Everything from fridges to coffee mugs even house front doors will get connected.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 2nd May 2014 at 03:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I think fibre would take off at a faster rate if it were easier to terminate. Most of us probably can terminate CAT5, but not fibre and it's the same with the big telecoms too. As above, BT and Virgin mostly operate FTTC, so the last few metres to your house is still copper.

The biggest issue (someone needs to find a solution to) is if FTTH was introduced mainstream, how can this be done without requiring an engineer to terminate the connection in someone's home? This is extremely costly and time consuming, plus it means every pavement in the country would need to be dug up to patch in the fibre.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast