+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Problem with HP2600n Laserjet + Print Server Spooler in Technical; We have one HP 2600n printer installed on the network on our Print server. We also have a multitude of ...
    Thank Post

Problem with HP2600n Laserjet + Print Server Spooler

We have one HP 2600n printer installed on the network on our Print server. We also have a multitude of other HP printers on the server as well. The problem i have is if a file of more than 2mb is sent to the printer it does not print and just seems to stick in the print queue. All the other printers on the server carry on printing so i know the spooler service has not stopped.

But, If i restart the spooler service the job that was stuck in the HP2600n will then print. This has happened 4 or 5 times now. The spooler service is automatically set to restart 3 times but i don't think it stops anyway.

I have made sure i have the latest driver installed and i can't think of anything else that may be causing it. The printer is in the Art room so gets a lot of large files sent to it so its could be a huge problem soon for us.

Any suggestions or tweaking of the settings?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Re: Problem with HP2600n Laserjet + Print Server Spooler

I wouldn't use a 2600n in an environment where it is going to get hammered I just don't think they are up to it.

We had one that was forever playing up and luckily it also had some print output issues so I was able to get it replaced the replacement is used by our data manager and has been good so far.

the other thing I did was add a dhcp reservation for it rather than use a static ip address because even with a static ip it would sometimes forget what that was.

Ben

Thank Post

A few questions....
    1. Are you running any quota software (e.g. PMP)?
    2. When installing the latest driver, did you use the scrubber tool to remove the old one first?
    3. Does the spooler fall over if installed on another machine?

Thank Post

add a dhcp reservation for it rather than use a static ip address
    yes it already has a DHCP reservation

A few questions....
    1. Are you running any quota software (e.g. PMP)?
    2. When installing the latest driver, did you use the scrubber tool to remove the old one first?
    3. Does the spooler fall over if installed on another machine?
    1. No
    2. No
    3. Not tried this, as we have not had any problems with the other printers.

Thank Post

I would also try connecting to the actual console of the print server when you have a print job stuck on it. We have quite a few HP printers installed which give us a message box on the server:

===========
    The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block your access to your local network. Your document will print when the printer becomes available.
    ===========

If you OK the message, the job comes out! The message only displays on the console session though so if you're usually connected via a normal remote desktop session you won't see it. VNC/Dameware etc. will show it and connecting via "mstsc /console /v:servername" might too.

If your problem is the same as ours I suspect the fix is to use a standard tcp/ip port instead of an hp one, but haven't got round to testing the theory yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

You may find it won't print anything if you specify it as a normal tcp/ip port though.

Our K850 and 550's do the same thing.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee
    I would also try connecting to the actual console of the print server when you have a print job stuck on it. We have quite a few HP printers installed which give us a message box on the server:

===========
    The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block your access to your local network. Your document will print when the printer becomes available.
    ===========

If you OK the message, the job comes out! The message only displays on the console session though so if you're usually connected via a normal remote desktop session you won't see it. VNC/Dameware etc. will show it and connecting via "mstsc /console /v:servername" might too.

If your problem is the same as ours I suspect the fix is to use a standard tcp/ip port instead of an hp one, but haven't got round to testing the theory yet.
    I found this issue too recently and I applied this update... it's been working a few days now without problem.

This is with K550's...

Thank Post

@Kyle: It is worth seeing if their is a scrubber tool. I had issues with a K850dn and when i found this tool and then re-installed the latest driver all the problems went away. It's a shame that the tools are driver specific - a scrubber that worked with them all would be a handy addition to the toolkit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I've searched for this problem high and low and came across this post! Glad to know I am not alone.

I'm using Windows Server 2003 R2 and shared two HP2600n's via ethernet. I have also created two standard TCP/IP ports and not the HP TCP/IP port. Both printers have static IPs and sending a test page works correctly. I can also type the printer IP into IE to view printer status, so I know the network is talking ok to the printers. I'm running the lastest drivers (downloaded last week) and today I also updated the printer firmware. Still, the same problems!

The problems I'm having are that print jobs are getting stuck in the print queue. The Spooler service is constantly working and I know this because there are also two Canon Photocopiers which work absolutely fine. Only until I stop and start the Spooler service do the stuck print jobs on the 2600n's go through.

It's clearly an issue with this printer model/driver and not services running on the print server. The printer in question works host based, meaning workstations on the network do all of the job processing. It's rubbish, but I have to work with it!

Two solutions I have come across are disabling bidirectional support and to choose Start print after last page is spooled which I am going to try tomorrow. Has anyone any other ideas to fixing this? Many thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Has anyone any other ideas to fixing this? Many thanks!
    I've got similar problems - I've got an HP2600n which needs to be printed to from a bunch of assorted pupil's machines (our Sixth form, who can bring their own laptops in from home to use in their study rooms) and another HP (forget the exact model) that needs to be printed to from some Linux machines. Both printers are crummy Windows-only machines. After a lot of messing around, I've finally figured the easiest way to get them to work would be to have them driven by a Windows machine. However, client machines would see a generic Postscript machine, the input to which is redirected (via RedMon) to a short script which uses Ghostscript to convert the Postscript into PDF and print to the appropriate printer. If I can figure out where each print-out is coming from via the information passed in the Postscript then I can also track which user is printing what and to what printer.

I figure this might solve the above problem too - I know I couldn't get the 2600n driver to work under Windows Vista. The advantage of the above is that you only need the one driver (Adobe generic Postscript driver + Color PPD file) installed on each client, no matter how many printers they're connected to.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I seem to remember this helping for us............

disabling bidirectional support

Thank Post
    Two solutions I have come across are disabling bidirectional support and to choose Start print after last page is spooled which I am going to try tomorrow. Has anyone any other ideas to fixing this? Many thanks!
    I had stuck print jobs at 2 schools at beginning of the year when I'd just used the install CD to install on the server and then shared the printer. I then just went to each workstation and ran //server/laser to add them.

To get them working, I removed the old printer on the server, manually created standard TCP/IP ports on the server, added the printer (Picked up drivers using the "I have a disk" method), disabled bi-directional and re-shared the new setup using the old name.

All my problems went away - queue hasn't stuck again at all.

Just for further info, the first time I installed one of these printers which was at another school, I used AutoIt to run the CD install routine on every workstation as the school has no real server. This worked fine as well - no stuck print queue issues either.

Hope this helps.

regards

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 7th February 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Thank Post
    However, client machines would see a generic Postscript machine, the input to which is redirected (via RedMon) to a short script which uses Ghostscript to convert the Postscript into PDF and print to the appropriate printer.
    Quick aside - if you get this working could you post the details in another thread (don't want to hijack this one) as I need my eeePC machines to be able to print to 2600s (without having to recompile the kernel )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback people! Glad I'm not alone on this one.

For everyone's reference to resolve this issue, I used a standard TCP/IP port (not an HP one), the latest drivers (6.2.1) and the latest firmware 20070716. I'm using this printer with 2003 Server R2 and XP clients only. There are no Vista clients.

Once the printer was installed on the Print Server, I shared it out as usual and unticked just bidirectional support. This made all the difference! Pushed it out using Print Management and my support requests went down to pretty much nothing!

15. 2 Thanks to Michael:

dhamshaw (22nd March 2008), PEO (20th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Yeah, the solution from Michael seems to have sorted out my problem for me here. It's the first 2600n we have had so I was glad I found this thread! Just one tick box saves the day again! Thanks again!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast