+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, RM - Warranty issues in Technical; As most of you know RM decided to stop selling hardware towards the end of last year. The announcement was ...
    Thank Post

RM - Warranty issues

As most of you know RM decided to stop selling hardware towards the end of last year. The announcement was sudden and my experience of the partnership RM set up with Misco to ease the transition hasn't been brilliant.

Anyway, as we still have a large amount of equipment under warranty with RM, imagine my surprise when I get this message today after logging a call with them for a PC that has failed for the 3rd time in as many months:

"Please be informed that we are not currently processing hardware support call as we are transiting over to a new support provider, you will be contacting on the week commencing the 14th with more information."

Now being as the warranty on this device clearly states "Next working day on site repair for faults logged before 12 Noon" - I am absolutely livid

A little digging around has revealed that RM appear to be transferring their warranty service to a 3rd party of some sort. I will be finding out more details from our account manager tomorrow.

So this post is just as warning to others who have RM kit under warranty - I dread to think what would happen if one of the servers was to go down whilst RM are "not processing hardware support calls"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Well at least they are transferring it which was what was obviously going to happen and these things do not just happen over night.

Ben

Thank Post
    Sorry Plexer but I don't agree with that at all.

If RM were going bankrupt then yes I would be grateful that the warranty was safe. But being as RM are in fact still touting for business in other areas (services\software) they should be doing their utmost to keep their existing customers happy.

Unannounced changes to existing warranties makes me question whether they can be relied upon to deliver what their contracts promise.

Thank Post
    They announced they were pulling out of the hardware market months if not years ago now so how do you expect a company that no longer has a hardware division and made all those techs etc... redundant to be able to continue to service those warranties themselves? Therefore the only option is to transfer that side of things to one of the many hardware warranty providers with the necessary resources to support the customers.

RM are moving towards being a software/services company as you've stated and that's entirely the direction they are going so I can't really how you see it as being all of a sudden.

Ben

Thank Post
    I expect:

a) A reasonable level of notice and information as to how and when the changes are taking place. Being told during the transition is not good enough in my eyes.
    b) The warranty that the school purchased to be honoured. This is currently not the case.

I don't believe my expectations are unreasonable. If you think they are, than we will have to agree to disagree...

Thank Post
    I'm not saying your expectations are unreasonable I'm just stating my viewpoint on the matter and when they announced they were moving hardware to Misco they also said that over the next year the warranty service would be transitioned to a 3rd party.

Ben

Thank Post
    Read the small print, im sure they will have a valid path.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Didn't RM use 2e2 for warranty support? And didn't 2e2 go belly up? We always used to get 2e2 engineers out to service our RM kit when we used it.

Thank Post
    We used to get 2e2 as well.

I'm pretty concerned as the only thing we have with RM now is hardware warranties. Our DCs and MIS all run on RM warranted hardware, so for the next few months until we get rid of it fully I will bricking it every day.

Thank Post
    Is this just on desktop, or servers too??

Thank Post
    They are still flogging servers and infrastructure according to the website.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Is this just on desktop, or servers too??
    All RM hardware (laptops, desktops and servers) warranties will be dealt with by this 3rd party company apparently.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    "Please be informed that we are not currently processing hardware support call as we are transiting over to a new support provider, you will be contacting on the week commencing the 14th with more information."

Hopefully from the 14th (which is next Monday) all warranty details will be revealed. I'm sure they will honour it, but I agree that if it were your server this would be a problem, but thankfully it isn't!

Thank Post
    Post who it is when you know please?

Thank Post
    Seems like Kelway have picked up the support, RM offloads support to Kelway after PC exit - 11 Apr 2014 - CRN UK News

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast