+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Printers ..... and Staff in Technical; install pcounter/papercut/print manager plus charge for prints + photocopies make money or at least break even...
    Bounced Users
    Thank Post

Re: Printers ..... and Staff

install pcounter/papercut/print manager plus
    charge for prints + photocopies
    make money or at least break even
    Last edited by SOSAGES; 19th May 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts

Local printers are mono lasers, apart from the one in the office for our secretary which is colour.

If staff want to print colour they have to use the network colour laser in the ICT Suite. The inconvenience of having to check whether the printer and room are in use and of having to change buildings to get their output slows them down!

Thank Post

Yeh Papercut to limit their printing.

You can also tick the box in printer properties to keep all printed jobs if you want.
    Though some people do get confused when things break I often get told 'theres still 257 documents waiting to print'

Thank Post

Without warning we introduced a print credit system using the software Print Manager Plus.

years 7-11 get 6 prints each week.
    years 12-13 get 10 prints per day.

If they need more for coursework etc they have to come see me.

We were forecasting in the region of 25-30k on toners/inks alone never mind paper.

Staff are also encouraged to photocopy as that costs them 3.5p per copy as there dept. gets charged 5p each time they print to a networked printer.

Without the credit system (which has only been running since last week) I am sure students were just printing for the sake of it -possibly bringing in their families printing too....

Thank Post

I would take a more pro active approach. Install some printer management software and then compile a report and show SLT your findings. Once they see those then they will pay some attention.

Imagine how much man hours a week you could save by not replacing toner and cartridges.

My rule is take out all your inkjet printers and replace them all with lasers with high yield capability this will involvles less time for techies, will save costs in the long run and the printers are far better.

Thank Post

Simple Process - My best initial advice.

Week 1 + 2 :Audit Only.
    Week 3 -6; Use quotas to stop waste (I recommend to set this to affect 10% of users)
    Week 7+; Use extra rules ro redirect jobs based on content/size or block jobs.

Most Audit software has a reasonable eval period - use this to prove the requirement.

Soon the message gets around, and everyone thinks about what they are printing.

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David_PCN View Post
    Week 1 + 2 :Audit Only.
    Week 3 -6; Use quotas to stop waste (I recommend to set this to affect 10% of users)
    Week 7+; Use extra rules ro redirect jobs based on content/size or block jobs.

Most Audit software has a reasonable eval period - use this to prove the requirement.

Soon the message gets around, and everyone thinks about what they are printing.

I agree, as soon as they see how much they spend and the first time a job gets denied because they didnít choose duplex (or whatever reason you set up) they will hopefully start being sensible.

I think most people just need to be shown how much money they waste and then they wont do it again. Going to them with some detailed reports of what they have printed is an excellent start. I dont know of any print monitoring software that would give you plenty of report options.
    google print management/ print accounting / print monitoring etc etc or use the search tool on edugeek to find various options.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12