+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptop issue HELP! in Technical; Someone has given me an old Sony Vaio PCG-8X1M laptop to look at as it isn't booting. The laptop turns ...

Thank Post

Laptop issue HELP!

Someone has given me an old Sony Vaio PCG-8X1M laptop to look at as it isn't booting. The laptop turns on, gets to the phoenix splash screen and then it starts a long continuous beep. Well it sounds like its one continuous beep. I have tried removing RAM and replacing it with known working RAM but no joy. I managed to get the laptop to boot by basically bashing the function keys as I was trying to get into the bios. This managed to get it to boot. It boots fine but cant do anything with the keyboard. Click the start button and in the search bar it starts typing 111111 continuously. So then I removed the keyboard (admittedly whilst I still had the laptop running - risky I know!!) I added a usb keyboard but it still does the same. In any area where you can type ie search bar or IE address bar it just types continuous 1's.

Any ideas? Does it look like a motherboard issue?

Thank Post
    Sounds like a physical thing to me. If it happens when you have disconnected the keyboard maybe its a ribbon cable to the keyboard connector, the 111111s are a bit of a give away. Is the beep similar to what you get if you hold keys down too long or rest something on your keyboard? It's worth disconnecting it properly, by that I mean powering it off, disconnecting the keyboard, plugging in the USB one then switching it back on (make sure that the USB keyboard is enabled in the bios and fast boot is not selected). If you disconnect the keyboad's ribbon cable while it's powered on it may not clear the faulting condition.
    Last edited by GeekyPete; 20th March 2014 at 02:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    Sounds like a physical thing to me. If it happens when you have disconnected the keyboard maybe its a ribbon cable to the keyboard connector, the 111111s are a bit of a give away. Is the beep similar to what you get if you hold keys down too long or rest something on your keyboard? It's worth disconnecting it properly, by that I mean powering it off, disconnecting the keyboard, plugging in the USB one then switching it back on (make sure that the USB keyboard is enabled in the bios and fast boot is not selected). If you disconnect the keyboad's ribbon cable while it's powered on it may not clear the faulting condition.
    @GeekyPete - It does sound like when you have something resting on your keyboard. Problem is I cant get into the BIOS. The beeping starts almost as soon as the first splash screen appears. That's why I was bashing the keys (Esc, Del, F2, F12,F8 etc) hoping to get into the BIOS. I have tried disconnecting the keyboard with the power off but then the USB keyboard doesn't get recognised and the beeping sound is still there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I would see if you can source a replacement keyboard for that laptop as may be the controller on the keyboard that is at fault ie liquid damage etc

If it is still the same then obviously something else at fault ie motherboard or the connector or whatever

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would see if you can source a replacement keyboard for that laptop as may be the controller on the keyboard that is at fault ie liquid damage etc

If it is still the same then obviously something else at fault ie motherboard or the connector or whatever
    I may just have to give it back to him. Cheapest keyboard on fleabay is £30 and I don't want to spend my own money just in case it isn't a keyboard issue.

6. Thanks to fiza from:

mac_shinobi (20th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Time for a new laptop

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread