+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Zoostorm Computers & SSD Hard Drives in Technical; Hi All, Just wanting a bit of advice on the following... We are looking to purchase new computers this year ...

Thank Post

Zoostorm Computers & SSD Hard Drives

Hi All,

Just wanting a bit of advice on the following...

We are looking to purchase new computers this year for one of our ICT suites. I have found Zoostorm to be recommended and they appear to be reviewed well on some retail outlet stores. In comparison there products are considerably cheaper than alternative computing retailers.

I have looked at the following model:

Zoostorm SFF desktop, i5-3340 3.1GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB Hard disk drive, no operating system, 1 year return to base warranty.

There is the potential to upgrade the 320GB sata hard disk drive to an 128gb solid state drive for 37.60 per pc.

I have very little experience with SSD and as such I am wondering whether the performance increase we would see is worth spending the extra money?

We are an RM network, where most users save work to their network share and not the physical drive in the machine itself, meaning that the actual physical hard drive is only used to store the operating system and additional applications.

Thanks in advance,

:-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In one word - yes.

Massive performance difference with SSD compared to HDD. Imaging, for example, drops in time dramatically (using SCCM here, the difference is from half an hour down to 10 minutes, for example).

However, you *really* want to check what make and model of SSD it is to make sure its not a poor quality one.

I'd also recommend speaking to someone like @VeryPC to see if they can do you a better deal.

3. 3 Thanks to localzuk:

BFCIT (24th March 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (13th March 2014), VeryPC_Tom_B (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also check warranties - you won't get more than 1 year with Zoostorm I think (double check though!). Also how are you licensing your OS, add windows to that, even a base windows for an EES license will add 60-70 quid.

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

BFCIT (24th March 2014)

Thank Post
    You can get 3 year warranties with zoostorm. If you would like a quote on these machines we are partnered with the UK distributor of zoostorm. synaesthesia is right about the windows too, I know a few people who had been led to believe the EES was a license to load windows on a machine whereas in actual fact is is an upgrade license only valid on machines with a windows license.

7. Thanks to Graham-Millgate from:

BFCIT (24th March 2014)

Thank Post
    We have loads of zoostorms, some of which have 1 year and some 3 year warranties. We were nearly caught out about the licensing of these machines when we were told by different sales reps different messages about the licensing. Adding a SSD to the machine will speed it up, but I would suggest buying the SSD separately as at that price, they probably won't be a fantastic one then formatting and selling most of the rest on via ebay or similar (but keep some in case of needing a warranty fix). Insides are simple, mostly have gigabyte mATX motherboards, cheep power supply, unbranded memory and an optical drive. Unless you need the space then I wouldn't bother about SFF over just the ordinary tower really though.

Quick tip, always make sure you keep half a dozen or so boxes with the rest of the packing in case you need t return to base, as they do charge for sending out fresh boxes. Also if something goes wrong, try asking if they will let you do the swap yourself and send them back the faulty part in exchange for the new one. We do this most of the time now and we get the new part within 2 days or so, rather than the machine being away for a week.

9. 2 Thanks to HTCPCP:

BFCIT (24th March 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    thank you very much for taking the time to respond and providing me with greater insight into zoostorm and ssd's. We are still looking int hardware acquisition for the next financial year and I will be taking all your comments on board.

Thanks once again. :-)

11. Thanks to BFCIT from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (26th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread